Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Sep 2, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #451 of 1,410
Does the amp convert single ended input into balanced? I thought I read somewhere it did.

For inputs yes, but you'll need balanced headphones for the output. And I found this amplifier VERY transparent of what I fed it upstream...going from say the Hugo2 to the DAVE was quite easily noticeable and very much worth it! That's not to say the HPA4 won't sound great from your DAC, but that it can scale quite high as your source does. :)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #452 of 1,410
For inputs yes, but you'll need balanced headphones for the output. And I found this amplifier VERY transparent of what I fed it upstream...going from say the Hugo2 to the DAVE was quite easily noticeable and very much worth it! That's not to say the HPA4 won't sound great from your DAC, but that it can scale quite high as your source does. :)
Forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject matter but if I’m understanding correctly...I can use interconnects from say a Qutest to the input on the HPA4 and listen to any headphone using a balanced cable/out?

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #453 of 1,410
I also jumped ship from the queue on the GS-X Mini and decided to purchase the HPA4. I feel a little guilty but I have and love the THX AAA 789 and wanted the best THX technology could offer. I remember when I first started this hobby in the mid-00s and Benchmark was always on the map. I hoped to own one of their products one day. Really looking forward to using this amp for years to come :)

Sep 9, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #454 of 1,410
Forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject matter but if I’m understanding correctly...I can use interconnects from say a Qutest to the input on the HPA4 and listen to any headphone using a balanced cable/out?

Correct.

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #455 of 1,410
The HPA4 does not allow switching of the balanced and rca outputs on the back, does it? I need a pre-amp that allows switching the outputs rather than all being live at once. (I checked the manual and it is not mentioned, so I think not, but wanted to check.)

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #456 of 1,410
The HPA4 does not allow switching of the balanced and rca outputs on the back, does it? I need a pre-amp that allows switching the outputs rather than all being live at once. (I checked the manual and it is not mentioned, so I think not, but wanted to check.)
The line outputs (balanced and unbalanced) are controlled separately from the headphone outputs. You can mute the line outputs while listening to headphones or vice versa. Moreover, the volume of the headphone and line outputs can be controlled independently. Both can operate at the same time, but with independent volume control and independent L/R balance.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #457 of 1,410
The line outputs (balanced and unbalanced) are controlled separately from the headphone outputs. You can mute the line outputs while listening to headphones or vice versa. Moreover, the volume of the headphone and line outputs can be controlled independently. Both can operate at the same time, but with independent volume control and independent L/R balance.

Thanks John. So my setup would be to have my electrostatic amp (BHSE) connected to the balanced output and my stereo amp connected to the RCA output. The stereo amp turns on automatically when it "sees" a signal. The issue in the past, using my DAC as a pre-amp, has been that if I forget to turn off the stereo amp (the power switch is a pain to get to), I end up with music blasting when I'm trying to use the electrostatic amp. Is that going to be a problem using the HPA4?

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #458 of 1,410
I also jumped ship from the queue on the GS-X Mini and decided to purchase the HPA4. I feel a little guilty but I have and love the THX AAA 789 and wanted the best THX technology could offer. I remember when I first started this hobby in the mid-00s and Benchmark was always on the map. I hoped to own one of their products one day. Really looking forward to using this amp for years to come :)
The difference between HPA 4 and THX 789 would be nice to know if you can compare.

I would guess its more components then just the THX circuit or chip or what it should be called that makes the difference?

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #459 of 1,410
The difference between HPA 4 and THX 789 would be nice to know if you can compare.

I would guess its more components then just the THX circuit or chip or what it should be called that makes the difference?
I know the HPA4 could handle more difficult to drive headphones and has a better volume pot. Of course THD is lower and SNR is higher. Not sure if I’ll be able to hear that with the headphones I currently have but I shall see...

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #460 of 1,410

@jsiau - I appreciate your earlier response, but if you answered my question, I'm not understanding. Can I individually control the volume of the RCA and Balanced outputs on the back of the unit (not the headphone outputs)? That is, can I have the balanced set to zero and the RCA set to 25, for example?

Here is my use case:
Thanks John. So my setup would be to have my electrostatic amp (BHSE) connected to the balanced output and my stereo amp connected to the RCA output. The stereo amp turns on automatically when it "sees" a signal. The issue in the past, using my DAC as a pre-amp, has been that if I forget to turn off the stereo amp (the power switch is a pain to get to), I end up with music blasting when I'm trying to use the electrostatic amp. Is that going to be a problem using the HPA4?

I'm ready to purchase an HPA4 as soon as I can confirm it does this. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #461 of 1,410
@jsiau - I appreciate your earlier response, but if you answered my question, I'm not understanding. Can I individually control the volume of the RCA and Balanced outputs on the back of the unit (not the headphone outputs)? That is, can I have the balanced set to zero and the RCA set to 25, for example?
The unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR outputs are not individually controllable. If you are switching between two amplifiers, I would recommend an external passive XLR switch box like this one:

https://www.markertek.com/product/a...r-with-2-xlr-female-inputs-4-xlr-male-outputs

Use our XLR to RCA cables to drive the RCA inputs. Connect the inputs of the switch box to the XLR outputs on the HPA4.

If one of the amplifiers has a 12V trigger output, this relay-controlled switch box can be controlled from the trigger output:

https://www.markertek.com/product/arx-rs-2/arx-rs-2-remote-switched-stereo-selector

We use the relay-controlled switch boxes in our listening room and trigger them from the 12V trigger output on the AHB2 amplifier.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #463 of 1,410
Impianto.jpg

Benchmark HPA4 fantastic amp! Received yesterday:)

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #464 of 1,410

Benchmark HPA4 fantastic amp! Received yesterday:)
I see you had the V281. Can you provide any comparison HPA4/V281?

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #465 of 1,410
Sure! First "cold" considerations and having only changed the amp:

- Compared to the Violectric V281, the only amp I had before, I notice a greater capacity to be able to raise the volume without distortion.

- even if very detailed it is not tiring, with the Metrum it matches well. I'd like to try it with their Dac which has much higher outputs than the 4v of the Metrum.

- with the Pioneer and its 45 ohm impedance it delivers 2.6 Watts.

- "stratospheric" step volume control, limitless potentiometer. You don't hear the noise of the relays in the headphones (pops or clicks during the adjustment). Which was annoying with the Violectric. Note that this "optional" raised the price of the V281 considerably …

However from the first listenings remarkably satisfied:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back