Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Jul 5, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #376 of 1,410
I do own a pair of susvara and they are one of my favorite pairs of headphones yet very very difficult to drive properly. Curious what you are using with your pair... assuming you own a pair?

I had just tested susvara with the hpa4 and have to give it a solid thumbs up!
It does require it to be near maxed out but it doesn’t sound thin whatsoever like most other amps. This truly does make the susvara sound very good and to their true potential imo. I am running with about a 4dB boost and maximum line in volume. And about 85-90% headphone volume depending on what I listen to. Getting close to solid 95-100dB which I rarely ever listen this loud but the susvara is capable of sounding extremely clean with this amp. Likely 110dB is possible and not sounding thin or shouty which is what I’ve experienced when using susvara’s with about 98% of headphone amplifiers. I’m picky....
The hpa4 can be up to 10dB boost for line in, and I didn’t use any boost at first and found myself nearly maximum line and max vol... but now am using 4dB boost like I said. Gives me enough headroom for classical... barely. Modern music you will have more headroom of course.

But I won’t mention names of other amps.. I’ve tried most amplifiers and several even more expensive than this hpa4. Only a handful of amps can power susvara properly and that are under 3K.

Albeit the hpa4 may get the susvara there, I’m surely not listening that loud. I usually am around 80-85dB and this amp allows the susvara to sound full and proper. (Thumbs up!) when the amp is not proper for the susvara then they will sound thin or shouts, usually top end is bright and miss and bass recessed a bit.

I was truly worried, since I had tried some other thx amps that simply did not cut it for the susvara imo. The hpa4 is the flagship with thx 888 dual mono and significantly more powerful, yet expect that you won’t have a ton of headroom yet the sound quality will surely please you up to very reasonable levels.

My two cents. Hope this is helpful.

Wonder if there would be more headroom with the speaker amp AHB2??

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #378 of 1,410

I think there is plenty of headroom with the susvara.. visually it may appear like that. But there are some adjustments that give another 10db boost and truly I cannot imagine anyone listening to these susvara’s at max volume. It’s full sounding and a great amp for the susvara. I do have an ahb2 coming and have no intention to use it with the susvara although considered trying with sr1a’s.

Jul 8, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #380 of 1,410

We had the only Susvara at CanJam SoCal 2019 and they were being driven with the HPA4 at the Benchmark booth, there were a few people who wanted to share their experience with everyone else around and from 6 feet away (in a loud room during the show) I was able to hear the lyrics of the song they were listening to... The HPA4 has plenty of headroom and with the extra 15dB of boost available and the protection circuitry built in you dont need to worry about hurting the HPA4. Also the HPA4 will mute itself if there is distortion detected so you will get pure clean power throughout the entire volume range!

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #381 of 1,410
I do own a pair of susvara and they are one of my favorite pairs of headphones yet very very difficult to drive properly. Curious what you are using with your pair... assuming you own a pair?

I had just tested susvara with the hpa4 and have to give it a solid thumbs up!
It does require it to be near maxed out but it doesn’t sound thin whatsoever like most other amps. This truly does make the susvara sound very good and to their true potential imo. I am running with about a 4dB boost and maximum line in volume. And about 85-90% headphone volume depending on what I listen to. Getting close to solid 95-100dB which I rarely ever listen this loud but the susvara is capable of sounding extremely clean with this amp. Likely 110dB is possible and not sounding thin or shouty which is what I’ve experienced when using susvara’s with about 98% of headphone amplifiers. I’m picky....
The hpa4 can be up to 10dB boost for line in, and I didn’t use any boost at first and found myself nearly maximum line and max vol... but now am using 4dB boost like I said. Gives me enough headroom for classical... barely. Modern music you will have more headroom of course.

But I won’t mention names of other amps.. I’ve tried most amplifiers and several even more expensive than this hpa4. Only a handful of amps can power susvara properly and that are under 3K.

Albeit the hpa4 may get the susvara there, I’m surely not listening that loud. I usually am around 80-85dB and this amp allows the susvara to sound full and proper. (Thumbs up!) when the amp is not proper for the susvara then they will sound thin or shouts, usually top end is bright and miss and bass recessed a bit.

I was truly worried, since I had tried some other thx amps that simply did not cut it for the susvara imo. The hpa4 is the flagship with thx 888 dual mono and significantly more powerful, yet expect that you won’t have a ton of headroom yet the sound quality will surely please you up to very reasonable levels.

My two cents. Hope this is helpful.
If the HPA4 is working at its upper limit to drive the Susvara fully then why not get the Benchmark AHB2 and drive the Susvara from the speaker tabs for significantly more power and headroom? The AHB2 is compact and can also serve as a speaker amp if needed and not that much more expensive.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #382 of 1,410
I am considering purchasing either the AHB2 or the HPA4 for use with CHORD DAVE and Susvara and or Abyss PHI TC. Has anyone compared the AHB2 to the HPA4 yet with Susvara.....? I was also considering the PASS Labs XA25 but don’t really want an amp that runs super hot and requires a long on time to get to peak sound. That’s why I gave up on tube amps.

I've just completed my Phi TC review and it is in now for final editing and scheduling for publication. The HPA4 was my prime amplifier for this review and boy was I impressed! Plenty of juice on hand to drive them brilliantly! Sorry I haven't heard the HPA4/Susvara combination yet. I'll be next reviewing the HPA4 on its own...fun times! :)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #383 of 1,410
If the HPA4 is working at its upper limit to drive the Susvara fully then why not get the Benchmark AHB2 and drive the Susvara from the speaker tabs for significantly more power and headroom? The AHB2 is compact and can also serve as a speaker amp if needed and not that much more expensive.
It’s doing just fine. Visually it appeared I didn’t have much room. But after using many other headphones I realize that is not the case. The volume curve is different than many amps. The susvara sound very full with authority up to unheard of sound levels that even the young kiddo wanting to go deaf will appreciate. I’m usually around 80db when I listen but I’ve had the susvara over 100db and room to spare only for short moments to test its ability. Few amps do this well. Most sound very thin and make the susvara sound very shouty... meaning bass thin, and mid forward with a bit of distortion throughout. The susvara is a very needy pair of headphones and the hpa4 delivers plenty for its needs. I would retract my previous statement of concern. I have increased the boost for input. I truly believe nobody will ever listen to the susvara at the levels it is able to reach. I did find a limit but I’ll tell you the volume level was very uncomfortable for me. There was mention of using the susvara with hpa4 at a music event recently and being able to hear the lyrics clearly when you are say.... 10-15ft away! Yea... that’s nuts imo. They are like little speakers. And can basically make your ears bleed if you choose. But the clarity that the hpa4 is able to drive these susvara’s is notable and one of the better amps on the market without any doubt.

I don’t have any reason to use the ahb2 to drive the susvara...however maybe a pair of SR1a’s but I got the ahb2 for a pair of loud speakers. Silly me, efficient ones at that. Zu audio soul supreme. And the ahb2 is simply overkill imo. But will try it with my Elac uf5 slim towered in satin white before selling them anyhow. But should be enough of a demand to see how the ahb2 can do.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #384 of 1,410
I've just completed my Phi TC review and it is in now for final editing and scheduling for publication. The HPA4 was my prime amplifier for this review and boy was I impressed! Plenty of juice on hand to drive them brilliantly! Sorry I haven't heard the HPA4/Susvara combination yet. I'll be next reviewing the HPA4 on its own...fun times! :)
Where can i read your review? I’ve not been able to find it yet?

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #385 of 1,410
Now we just need you to compare the PHI TC to the Susvara and SR1A to round out the TOTL review.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #388 of 1,410
Could the SR1a be driven directly from the speak tabs on the AHB2 or is an adapter box needed?

The SR1a comes with its own adapter box. The headphones impedance is way too low to connect to amps directly.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #389 of 1,410
So sad..
Thought my dac3b and hpa4 would be with me this week.. But further delays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back