Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Jun 18, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #346 of 1,410
hi all,

I've just sold my generation 1 schiit mjolnir, and am in the market for a new solid state amp.

may I ask, to those who have had the opportunity to compare, what was your opinion on the following amps:
Benchmark HPA4
Violectric 281
GSX-MK2

The 281 is the cheapest of the 3.. Still seems quite well regarded and reviewed.
I've not had a chance to audition the gsx mk2.
I've had a chance to listen to the hpa4 and 281, but on separate occasions, and for only a very very brief moment..

for reference, source will be either a dac3b or matrix audio sabre pro, headphones HD660s, Meze Empyrean, Utopias.

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #347 of 1,410
hi all,

I've just sold my generation 1 schiit mjolnir, and am in the market for a new solid state amp.

may I ask, to those who have had the opportunity to compare, what was your opinion on the following amps:
Benchmark HPA4
Violectric 281
GSX-MK2

The 281 is the cheapest of the 3.. Still seems quite well regarded and reviewed.
I've had a chance to listen to the hpa4 and 281, but on separate occasions, and for only a very very brief moment..

for reference, source will be either a dac3b or matrix audio sabre pro, headphones HD660s, Meze Empyrean, Utopias.

All great options! So there is no wrong answer there. It depends what you're after? I'd rate the HPA4 and dead neutral, the GS-X Mk2 a tad brighter and the V281 the warmest of the three. But again, all three are quick, articulate and can drive pretty much any headphone not named the Susvara or HE-6 without breaking a sweat. That said, I am settling in with the HPA4 as my particular choice.

Jun 18, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #348 of 1,410
All great options! So there is no wrong answer there. It depends what you're after? I'd rate the HPA4 and dead neutral, the GS-X Mk2 a tad brighter and the V281 the warmest of the three. But again, all three are quick, articulate and can drive pretty much any headphone not named the Susvara or HE-6 without breaking a sweat. That said, I am settling in with the HPA4 as my particular choice.

I haven’t received my hpa4 yet but really was hoping it would drive the susvara’s well. But you are saying it won’t?
I know the MD 789 version didn’t drive them to my expectations. I am hoping for an amp for susvara that has headroom.
I should add, I have tried a lot of amps that get the susvara to a loud level but they just sound shouty, thin and underpowered.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #349 of 1,410
I haven’t received my hpa4 yet but really was hoping it would drive the susvara’s well. But you are saying it won’t?
I know the MD 789 version didn’t drive them to my expectations. I am hoping for an amp for susvara that has headroom.
I should add, I have tried a lot of amps that get the susvara to a loud level but they just sound shouty, thin and underpowered.

It will drive them, just with these headphones, I think a speaker amp might be a better choice. It is brilliant with the Abyss Phi TC headphones though.

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #350 of 1,410
It will drive them, just with these headphones, I think a speaker amp might be a better choice. It is brilliant with the Abyss Phi TC headphones though.
Ok good to know, as some other amps I’ll not mention were recommended and said to me that they can drive the susvara and imo not even close. As getting them loud is one thing, getting them to sound full in the mids and low end require a powerful amp.
Have a friend who recommended this and he has susvara so am expecting it to do well. I should know next week :)

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #351 of 1,410

Thanks very much for your input.
I really did enjoy the dac 3 and hpa4 combo. Everything just seemed to sound "right".

Will be making a decision soon. Thanks for the help!

Jun 19, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #353 of 1,410
hi all,

Benchmark HPA4
Violectric 281
GSX-MK2

I had been using a Benchmark DAC2 DX for a few years with Sennheiser HD-650s. That was great kit. When wanderlust inevitably struck, I upgraded to Focal Utopias and started looking for a new DAC/amp to pair with them. I auditioned the Benchmark DAC3/HPA4 combination, as well as the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, at a CanJam show. I could find nothing wrong with the sonic performance of either setup. I especially liked the feel of the HPA4 - very solid with a nice clickety volume knob. The color choices of the GS-X face plate were also appealing. I wanted a change-of-pace, though, so I bought a used Ayre QX-5 Twenty. I expect to be happy for another few years! Good luck with your decision...

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #354 of 1,410
I had been using a Benchmark DAC2 DX for a few years with Sennheiser HD-650s. That was great kit. When wanderlust inevitably struck, I upgraded to Focal Utopias and started looking for a new DAC/amp to pair with them. I auditioned the Benchmark DAC3/HPA4 combination, as well as the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, at a CanJam show. I could find nothing wrong with the sonic performance of either setup. I especially liked the feel of the HPA4 - very solid with a nice clickety volume knob. The color choices of the GS-X face plate were also appealing. I wanted a change-of-pace, though, so I bought a used Ayre QX-5 Twenty. I expect to be happy for another few years! Good luck with your decision...

haha oh man when I was reading your post I was so expecting you to say you bought a gsx or the hpa4, but then you ended up with something else! thanks for the input tho! much appreciated.

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #355 of 1,410
haha oh man when I was reading your post I was so expecting you to say you bought a gsx or the hpa4, but then you ended up with something else! thanks for the input tho! much appreciated.
Ha! Always gotta watch out for the twist at the end. I'm loving my new Ayre, but I can also recommend the Benchmark stack wholeheartedly. Who knows with this crazy hobby - I may wind up back with them one day.

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #356 of 1,410
I think the Benchmark DAC 3 and HPA 4 is very good for the money. The next level up for me will be the Chord TT2 with M scaler and from there the DCS Bartok.
Hmm ,so you are "expecting" the dCS Bartok to beat the TT2/HMS?
Have you auditioned all of them together or what else makes you come to these conclusions?
Cheers CC

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #359 of 1,410
Just published my Benchmark HPA4 review.
Looking for the best, The One to rule them All?
This is for you then...
I never heard my headphones like this, want one baaadly.
Dang, is it really that good? Have you compared to Chord Hugo TT2

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #360 of 1,410
Just had it arrive this afternoon. Got a black one with remote. Looking forward to spending time with it this week/weekend to evaluate. Tons of good reviews!
once the AHB2 is in stock, I plan to get one to try as well. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back