Benchmark DAC1 PRE
Nov 21, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhamam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean the headphone amp or the dac in general?

I mean them both.. the benchmark, grace, (and millennia media) products have the same sort of sound signature to my ears... detail for details sake... not musical, pleasing to listen to. After and hour or so of listening to the benchmark, I felt as if my ears would start bleeding. harsh, uninvolving, clinical, strident. not what I like in my audio gear.

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had them both, yes.(and lavry)

I use the mytek stereo 96 dac and love it.

MYTEK DIGITAL USA

Interesting. Too bad it has only balanced outputs... I would need single ended too. Were you impressions of all these Dacs based on headphone listening solely or have you test and compared them also through amp+speakers?

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Interesting. Too bad it has only balanced outputs... I would need single ended too. Were you impressions of all these Dacs based on headphone listening solely or have you test and compared them also through amp+speakers?

I listen mainly to speakers, headphones are my backup listening source.

you can connect to an unbalanced source. I do.. you just leave pin 3 floating.

it drives unbalanced sources equally well.

http://www.mytekdigital.com/document...al-v5-2005.pdf

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #37 of 45
Well, I'm curious about your Dac. I got the Benchmark which compared to what I had before is great. I'm sure I can change my opinion of it if I start testing all other Dacs we're talking about here. I was actually thinking of buying a Wadia CD player (the 581se i) or their Dac 27ix. Of course they are much more expensive and on a different league. I decided to wait until the next generation of Wadia products (next year). Part of the decision was simple do to the issue of inputs available on these products. And this was one of the reasons I blindly, or almost, decided for the DAC1 Pre. I need to have optical, USB, and coaxial. You sound like you're a studio person. Let me ask then what amp and source (CD player) you're using with the Mytek? BTW have you tried ADAM speakers?

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #38 of 45
modified oppo 970/marantz dv600/denon2900>>>>bryston 4b/mastersound due venti>>>Quad ESL/B+W 801/Audio Kinesis Jazz Modules

I have heard ADAM speakers when I lived in Germany(I also had a girlfriend in Lugano for 2 years), but I wasnt around them long enough to form any opinion. I think they are catered mainly towards the pro audio sector.

why dont you just go check out Herr Weiss?
wink.gif

Quote:

Well, I'm curious about your Dac. I got the Benchmark which compared to what I had before is great. I'm sure I can change my opinion of it if I start testing all other Dacs we're talking about here. I was actually thinking of buying a Wadia CD player (the 581se i) or their Dac 27ix. Of course they are much more expensive and on a different league. I decided to wait until the next generation of Wadia products (next year). Part of the decision was simple do to the issue of inputs available on these products. And this was one of the reasons I blindly, or almost, decided for the DAC1 Pre. I need to have optical, USB, and coaxial. You sound like you're a studio person. Let me ask then what amp and source (CD player) you're using with the Mytek? BTW have you tried ADAM speakers?

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
modified oppo 970/marantz dv600/denon2900>>>>bryston 4b/mastersound due venti>>>Quad ESL/B+W 801/Audio Kinesis Jazz Modules

I have heard ADAM speakers when I lived in Germany(I also had a girlfriend in Lugano for 2 years), but I wasnt around them long enough to form any opinion. I think they are catered mainly towards the pro audio sector.

why dont you just go check out Herr Weiss?
wink.gif

herr weiss?

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

herr weiss?

as in Daniel Weiss, Weiss Engineering, Switzerland...

just kidding though.. the products are overpriced and nothing special, at least not special enough to justify such ridiculous prices..

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Note UK, or Kondo Audio Note Japan?

On second thought, I'm not sure that Kondo makes a DAC at all...

UK. Are the two companies related at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back