Benchmark DAC1 PRE
Nov 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 45
For sure, I'm the biggest fan of the DAC1, owning one from the very beginning on. I switched three times and I think they changed the sonic signature over time...... but still.... why don't they offer a remote????!!!

There was even a time, when I thought about modifying my DAC.... but.... let's see: I will stay patient.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 45
Love my DAC1 original (2007 vintage), and may well be tempted to pick up the DAC1 Pre in the future if the need arises. Certainly, for anyone starting to build a system who has a single analogue component e.g. turntable it looks an excellent prospect. Got a rave review from HFN&RR here in the UK.

One thing I wish Benchmark would address is the lack of indication of what the incoming signal is i.e. bit depth/sample rate.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly, for anyone starting to build a system who has a single analogue component e.g. turntable it looks an excellent prospect.

Yes, I'm using it in a minimalist way like this, with a clearaudio turntable and phono stage on the analogue input and a Jeff Rowland amp through the balanced out/s (Totem monitor speakers). The Dac1 Pre is a great alternative to a more expensive combination of pre+dac for someone who uses different sources. Other than the turntable I have an iMac, an appletv, a ps3, and a cabledecoder connected to it. Again, there are of course other "minimalist" alternatives to this, but I'd be very interested to see one that would beat this one for the money. If I had unlimited funds I would surely try something else. I'd be curious to see how the Red Wine Isabella would preform in such a system. But the isabella costs 6000us and in spite of the positive reviews, does not seem like gear that one would easily trade used like the Benchmark, or for that matter, Rowland and Clearaudio gear. That said, I have a very superficial knowledge of this market.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 45
Another even more minimalist alternative would be using the Dac1 Pre with ADAM powered monitor speakers. ADAM has a small model (A7) that sells for 1000us the pair. The A7 is great for the price, as are the more expensive units such as the S2A. The sonic result with these speakers makes you question everything else either on their price range or, on the price range of the new even more expensive Adam speakers that can cost up to 40.000us.
But again, unless one thinks of the A7 (and one should), to me they seem "bad investment": you almost certainly have to buy them new and I doubt they are as tradable as other gear.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW

WHY doesn't the DAC1 PRE have more than one output RCA ?
I think it will be cook to have at least two sets
One with variable output and one with fixed
So I can use both headphones amp, and a power amp with it.

That wouldn't make any sense. It is already a headphone amp.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by fdhfdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like its sound. Too harsh for me, not very musical

hey, great contribution to the discussion, very interesting!

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Yep, I wish they would add an indication for the bit depth and sample rate
Also
I wish they could do upsampling even up to 768KHZ like the Cambridge and some others
And maybe even 32 bit

Just a thought

A signal indicator would be nice, but further upsampling would degrade the sound quality with the Analog Devices AD1983 DAC chip. Benchmark picked a specific upsampling frequency (~110 kHz) to maximize the performance of that particular chip; higher sampling rates had lower quality. Padding the bit-depth to 32-bit would make no difference.

Quote:

Yep, but if I want to use it as a dac only with something like tube amp for my headphones ?

Change the output level switch from "Variable" to "Calibrated."

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Yep, but if I want to use it as a dac only with something like tube amp for my headphones ?

You can also split the RCA outs to use it with more than one amp. I did this without any noticeable loss in SQ.

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

You would compromise the signal and lose quality. Unless you're using speakers, it doesn't make sense to me.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #29 of 45
Actually I have to withdraw what I have said. You can and should try other amplifiers with the Benchmark. I have been experimenting with a few and although there is a tiny compromise of the signal, the result can be much better than with the amp in the dac. My feeling so far is that you would have to spend around 500$ in an amp to justify the change.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by fdhfdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like its sound. Too harsh for me, not very musical

the very reason I do not like the benchmark units , or Grace. too harsh, strident, not pleasing to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back