Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Feb 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3,016 of 3,058
I replaced my basic DAC1 with the HDR version.

However, the HDR version does not have a BNC connection so I must use an adapter to use my same Stereovox digital cable.

Should there be a sonic difference using an adapter?  Any particular adapter recommended?  Should I bother to have Stereovox cable reterminated so an adapter can be avoided?  (Using a Radio Shack adapter it seems there is a very slight alteration in pitch, but I confess this could be psychological.)

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #3,017 of 3,058
Hi Elias,
I've finally saved up for, and got a great price on a used DAC1 USB. I'm LOVING it!  I'm using it to directly drive my NAD C275bee amp and psb Image T6 speakers, as well as AKG K702 phones.

Maybe these questions have been answered directly, but I've not found them, so hope you don't mind!

• Most of my music are flac files thru J. Rivers Media Center. I removed the HPA jumper so it goes full bore, which allows me to get a nice level on the 702s while using Replay Gain (I bounce around a lot while listening, so this is invaluable to me).  But I'm curious: it outputs 24 bits to the DAC1, using Wasabi event mode(so volume controlled by the dac after the replay gain adjustment, of course). Am I losing much sound quality using the replay gain? (it sounds great, but I can't tell a difference with it off.. hard to measure because of course the volume level is hard to match for a/b tests).
  • Is there any way I can get use out of the AES input? I'm using the usb for the computer, spdif for a cd deck, and toslink for the tv.  Are there adapters that would allow another spdif coax input, or are voltages/resistance too different?

Thanks for your time sir!!

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #3,018 of 3,058

Quote:
I replaced my basic DAC1 with the HDR version.

However, the HDR version does not have a BNC connection so I must use an adapter to use my same Stereovox digital cable.

Should there be a sonic difference using an adapter?  Any particular adapter recommended?  Should I bother to have Stereovox cable reterminated so an adapter can be avoided?  (Using a Radio Shack adapter it seems there is a very slight alteration in pitch, but I confess this could be psychological.)

Thanks.

There should be no sonic difference whatsoever.  Benchmark converters are immune to differences in differences between interfaces.  As long as the data remains in tact (which, in your case, should not be a problem), the sound will not be affected.

Best,
Elias

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #3,019 of 3,058

Quote:
Hi Elias,
I've finally saved up for, and got a great price on a used DAC1 USB. I'm LOVING it!  I'm using it to directly drive my NAD C275bee amp and psb Image T6 speakers, as well as AKG K702 phones.

Maybe these questions have been answered directly, but I've not found them, so hope you don't mind!

• Most of my music are flac files thru J. Rivers Media Center. I removed the HPA jumper so it goes full bore, which allows me to get a nice level on the 702s while using Replay Gain (I bounce around a lot while listening, so this is invaluable to me).  But I'm curious: it outputs 24 bits to the DAC1, using Wasabi event mode(so volume controlled by the dac after the replay gain adjustment, of course). Am I losing much sound quality using the replay gain? (it sounds great, but I can't tell a difference with it off.. hard to measure because of course the volume level is hard to match for a/b tests).
  • Is there any way I can get use out of the AES input? I'm using the usb for the computer, spdif for a cd deck, and toslink for the tv.  Are there adapters that would allow another spdif coax input, or are voltages/resistance too different?

Thanks for your time sir!!

Hi Doug,

Just to address your question here, I'll paste Rory's reply from the Benchmark forum:

[size=0.8em] 1. We have not tested the Replay Gain feature of J River, but based on its handling of the signal (64bit), I'm not surprised that you cannot hear a difference between on/off. What does happen is that the noise floor will come up by the gain reduction amount of the program, but its affect sonically will be inaudible at even the most extreme listening levels.[/size]

[size=0.8em] 2. The AES input on the DAC1USB and DAC1 will accept a 75 ohm coaxial cable by the addition of an Impedance Transformer. There are a few companies that offer these. We sell one manufactured by Canare. It can be found here: [/size]

[size=0.8em] http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/catalog/female-male-impedance-transformer-p-51.html?osCsid=c42d6e31210df4114ec13ea11fa732ad [/size]

[size=0.8em] Simply plug it into the DAC's rear XLR digital input, and connect the coax cable from the source. A cable with a BNC connector on one end will be required:[/size]

[size=0.8em] http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/catalog/75ohm-canare-lv61s-p-75.html?osCsid=c42d6e31210df4114ec13ea11fa732ad[/size]

Best,
Elias

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #3,021 of 3,058
[size=0.8em] Hi ,[/size]

[size=0.8em] I have 3 years old Benchmark Dac-Pre , I am very happy with the product.I am using XLR outputs with Calibrated mode tru Preamp.[/size]

[size=0.8em] I tried to lower trimmer values but unfortunately i broke left channel trimmer screw ..[/size]

[size=0.8em] Can i find the competible trimmers for replacement or i would like to replace trimmers by fixed value resisitors .
Could you help me the what is the trimmer value.. or what would be the fix resistor value to achive max +9 dBU output level.
[/size]

[size=0.8em] My current setup Attenuator jumpers are off position.
Thanks for your kind support..Best regards,
[/size]

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #3,022 of 3,058
Quote:
[size=0.8em] Hi ,[/size]

[size=0.8em] I have 3 years old Benchmark Dac-Pre , I am very happy with the product.I am using XLR outputs with Calibrated mode tru Preamp.[/size]

[size=0.8em] I tried to lower trimmer values but unfortunately i broke left channel trimmer screw ..[/size]

[size=0.8em] Can i find the competible trimmers for replacement or i would like to replace trimmers by fixed value resisitors .
Could you help me the what is the trimmer value.. or what would be the fix resistor value to achive max +9 dBU output level.
[/size]

[size=0.8em] My current setup Attenuator jumpers are off position.
Thanks for your kind support..Best regards,
[/size]

Best place to start is here:

service@benchmarkmedia.com

Good folks, very helpful.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #3,023 of 3,058
Hi all, first post on head-fi. I have the Dac 1 (1.5 years old) and am considering the Dac Pre, but only if there is a sonic benefit. Any comments? I have a yba transport, foobar windows 7 running through an M2Tech Evo usb to spdif converter, dac 1 feeding a Bryston 4bsst2, and Philharmonic speakers with AKG over ear headphones. Thanks for the input.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #3,024 of 3,058
Quote:
Hi all, first post on head-fi. I have the Dac 1 (1.5 years old) and am considering the Dac Pre, but only if there is a sonic benefit. Any comments? I have a yba transport, foobar windows 7 running through an M2Tech Evo usb to spdif converter, dac 1 feeding a Bryston 4bsst2, and Philharmonic speakers with AKG over ear headphones. Thanks for the input.

Anyone?  Thanks.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3,025 of 3,058
Why not take advantage of ordering directly from Benchmark and doing their 30 day audition offer?

Test it for yourself and let your ears do the deciding. :)

All you'd be out is the $20 or so in return shipping if you don't like it.

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #3,026 of 3,058
Quote:
Why not take advantage of ordering directly from Benchmark and doing their 30 day audition offer?

Test it for yourself and let your ears do the deciding. :)

All you'd be out is the $20 or so in return shipping if you don't like it.

Thanks.  I just ordered the hdr.  I'll sell the dac 1 on ebay and be done with it.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #3,028 of 3,058
Hi
I am very happy with my  benchmarks dac1 USB. Now I have very well combo with difficult to drive Hifiman he-4.
I have a question.Which usb cable should I Use?usb cable ferrite or non ferrite? 
Also I want to buy Hifiman [size=small]He[/size][size=small]-[/size][size=small]6[/size][size=small] which are known for being [/size][size=small]power hungry[/size][size=small].,,,,,,[/size] Which head amp do you recomend?
Thanks

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #3,029 of 3,058
HI Elias, haven't posted here in a few years, very glad to see you still kickin butt, I have a new question for you. I'd like to run -two- benchmark usb dacs at once, one to run a pair of speakers, one to run a sub. It appears both Vista and Windows 7 will not allow you to run two default output sources at once. You have to pick, or the computer picks for you. The only way i've seen around this is some software hack called Virtual Audio Cable, with no help on how to set it up, or to go all the way back to windows XP, back before the RIAA held everyone hostage with DRM crap. Do you, or does anyone here, have any suggestions on how to play a simple flac file with VLC, and have that sound go to -two- usb dacs at once? Or do I have to install XP on an Ultrabook, the height of irony.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3,030 of 3,058
Why do you even need two DAC's? Just use the RCA outputs for the speakers and the XLR outputs for the sub or vice versa. You can buy XLR->RCA adapters or cables if need be.

If you really did need 2 DAC's though you could always just buy a USB->S/PDIF converter and use 2 digital outs from the converter to the DAC (ie. use both digital coax and optical outs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back