Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jul 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #3,002 of 3,058

Quote:
Hi Elias

When/will the Centrance universal driver be made available for benchmark dac1 versions with a USB connection?

http://centrance.com/downloads/ud/

Thanks for your help.

GV

Hi GV,

We have a company policy not to discuss future plans for product development, so unfortunately, I can't answer this question.

Do you have any suggestions for us?  Would you like to be able to use this driver with the DAC1? 

Best,
Elias

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #3,003 of 3,058
I'm looking for an all-in-one source solution (balanced output, volume control, as transparent as possible) to feed my Genelecs. The Benchmark DAC1 has piqued my interest.

My question is, are there any sonic differences between USB and PRE models when using balanced XLR output? From what I gathered, the USB model uses both NE and LM opamps, while the PRE is all LM.

The PRE is tempting because it is more versatile but as of now, I don't need the additional inputs and the price jump is quite significant, but I'd hate if I skimped on some and ended up with the inferior product.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #3,004 of 3,058

Quote:
I'm looking for an all-in-one source solution (balanced output, volume control, as transparent as possible) to feed my Genelecs. The Benchmark DAC1 has piqued my interest.

My question is, are there any sonic differences between USB and PRE models when using balanced XLR output? From what I gathered, the USB model uses both NE and LM opamps, while the PRE is all LM.

The PRE is tempting because it is more versatile but as of now, I don't need the additional inputs and the price jump is quite significant, but I'd hate if I skimped on some and ended up with the inferior product.

I´m running a pair of Genelec 8040´s with a Benchmark PRE... Before buying the PRE I auditioned the USB model for a few days. To be honest with you, I´d be lying if I said I could differentiate them in a blind test. Do you have a local Benchmark dealer? If yes, I´m sure they can get you a home audition. Or order from a store that allowes returns like Thomann.

I wanted the analog inputs for old analog-output retro consoles, so I went with the PRE in the end. The Benchmark is a very good pairing with the Genelec - most Genelec dealers agree with that too. Many feel it´s the best pairing for them actually. All in all I´m very happy with the combo. It not only does well recorded music well (Diana Krall, Leonard Cohen, Guns and Roses latest album etc really well), but it´s great for movies and gaming too. What it doesn´t like is overly compressed pop music, but that´s just accuracy for you :)

PS: If you are using them in a nearfield setup, you might want to enable the highest internal attenuation settings in the Benchmark (very easy to change, just a few jumpers inside - it´s covered in the manual). The Genelecs are very sensitive, so they really like the added attenuation.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #3,005 of 3,058

Quote:
Hi Elias,

Does Benchmark have any closed-headphone recommendation to go with the DAC1? I am currently enjoying your open-headphone recommendation of the HD650s.

Thanks!
cansman

I´ll +1 the HD 650 suggestion. Best dynamic headphone there is on the market in my experience. It´s the best allrounder if you ask me. It might not have the "wow"-factor of the HD 800, but it doesn´t have its flaws either. Last but not least, it´s the most comfortable headphone out there, even more comfortable than the Stax headbands :)

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #3,006 of 3,058

Quote:

Hi GV,

We have a company policy not to discuss future plans for product development, so unfortunately, I can't answer this question.

Do you have any suggestions for us?  Would you like to be able to use this driver with the DAC1? 

Best,
Elias

Hi Elias

Still really happy with my DAC1 USB as it is but, would like to play FLAC files up to 24/192 via USB if possible.

So, just looking for your advice as to whether or not the CEntrance Universal Driver would enable this.

If Benchmark offered this (or a similar) driver as a free/low cost downloadable 'upgrade' that would. imo, bring the DAC1 USB  up to date and extend the 'life' of the range.

It would not do your already very good PR any harm either. 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

GV

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #3,007 of 3,058

Quote:

Hi Elias

Still really happy with my DAC1 USB as it is but, would like to play FLAC files up to 24/192 via USB if possible.

So, just looking for your advice as to whether or not the CEntrance Universal Driver would enable this.

If Benchmark offered this (or a similar) driver as a free/low cost downloadable 'upgrade' that would. imo, bring the DAC1 USB  up to date and extend the 'life' of the range.

It would not do your already very good PR any harm either. 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

GV

For various reasons, processing of 192khz files actually results in lower fidelity audio - this applies to prettymuch any DAC, not just the Benchmark. You are actually getting better sound (probably not audibly better, but still) with 24/96.
To demonstrate I'm not insane, here is a statement from Benchmark backing me up: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=04fea777994d26cd84e01a5e54f4c01d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Ft%2F571259%2Fhi-rez-another-myth-exploded&v=1&libid=1315846866259&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soundstage.com%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D126%3A96khz-vs-192khz%26catid%3D57%3Areader-feedback%26Itemid%3D24&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Ff%2F133%2Fsound-science&title=Hi-Rez%20-%20Another%20Myth%20Exploded!&txt=Benchmark%20Statement&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13158468654591

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #3,008 of 3,058

[size=8pt]Ok I trying  to read all these post to learn more about the Dac1 and the more I read the pre is sounding better to add  for future use. Plus reading about adding an ipad to the mix makes it more exciting. But what I have a question. Will I be able to use something like a SM Pro [/size][size=medium]MPatch 4M or Knob? Will I have the same quilty or I be losing something? [/size]

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #3,009 of 3,058

Quote:

Hi Willakan

Thanks for the link/info.

It does ring a bell now that you have pointed it out and iirc is at least one of the reasons Benchmark internally re-sample at around 110khz rather than 192khz or higher.

I'll continue to re-sample 24/192 (and 24/176.4) as described in a previous post (#2991) and choose 24/96 files for any future downloads.

Thanks for your input and help.

GV

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #3,010 of 3,058
Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I will go with the USB then, due to these reasons:

- It's cheaper and available in black unlike the PRE
- DAC1 looks better without the source selector knob
- USB, coax, and optical inputs are more than enough for now and foreseeable future
- I can't ever see myself using analog sources
- Not having a remote makes the PRE much less desirable (I'll pass on HDR because I have no need remote or additional inputs as of now; those would be solely for future-proofing)

How much can you use the volume control with the max attenuation? Talking about normal levels, not party levels. Though those vary greatly too...

Quote:
I´m running a pair of Genelec 8040´s with a Benchmark PRE... Before buying the PRE I auditioned the USB model for a few days. To be honest with you, I´d be lying if I said I could differentiate them in a blind test. Do you have a local Benchmark dealer? If yes, I´m sure they can get you a home audition. Or order from a store that allowes returns like Thomann.

I wanted the analog inputs for old analog-output retro consoles, so I went with the PRE in the end. The Benchmark is a very good pairing with the Genelec - most Genelec dealers agree with that too. Many feel it´s the best pairing for them actually. All in all I´m very happy with the combo. It not only does well recorded music well (Diana Krall, Leonard Cohen, Guns and Roses latest album etc really well), but it´s great for movies and gaming too. What it doesn´t like is overly compressed pop music, but that´s just accuracy for you :)

PS: If you are using them in a nearfield setup, you might want to enable the highest internal attenuation settings in the Benchmark (very easy to change, just a few jumpers inside - it´s covered in the manual). The Genelecs are very sensitive, so they really like the added attenuation.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #3,011 of 3,058
Hi everyone!  I'm sorry I haven't been responding.  Somehow these latest posts escaped my radar.

I'll try to answer everyone's questions, but please let me know if I've left any unanswered.

Best,
Elias

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #3,012 of 3,058
Quote:

[size=8pt]Ok I trying  to read all these post to learn more about the Dac1 and the more I read the pre is sounding better to add  for future use. Plus reading about adding an ipad to the mix makes it more exciting. But what I have a question. Will I be able to use something like a SM Pro [/size][size=medium]MPatch 4M or Knob? Will I have the same quilty or I be losing something? [/size]

Hi Cpluse,

You can use monitor controllers with the DAC1, although without testing these particular models, I can't tell you if they will degrade the quality.  Perhaps you could acquire one of them temporarily for evaulation?

Best,
Elias

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #3,013 of 3,058
Quote:

How much can you use the volume control with the max attenuation? Talking about normal levels, not party levels. Though those vary greatly too...

The ideal scenario is when you acheive comfortable listening levels with the volume control between the 10 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions.  So, I would suggest trying the DAC1 USB in the factory configured setting (-20 dB).  If you find that you cannot turn the volume up above 10 o'clock without it becoming too loud, then you will want to move the jumpers into the -30 dB position.

Best,
Elias

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #3,014 of 3,058
Long-term report on Benchmark DAC1-USB:

I bought one of these as soon as it was announced.(serial number 29) to use with my Mac Powerbook-based music system. I used it nearly every day to listen to music with headphones or through an amp and speakers. Its sound still delighted me until the day I took it out of service and replaced it with a DAC1 HDR. Why the replacement? Benchmark offered a good trade-in on the USB (for a limited time), and I wanted the remote control.

I've used the HDR for a couple of weeks now, and its sound is just as transparently delightful as the USB. What's on the recording comes out of the unit. It all depends upon the mastering.

It's also a civilized unit, fading the audio gracefully when desired, and bringing it back just as nicely. It informs me of what it's doing by changing the pattern of the display LEDs. It's all the pre-amp I'll ever need, and I am thinking about building a tri-amped speaker system to go with it. Genelec offers ready-made solutions, expensively. I have lots of speakers lying around...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back