Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Apr 20, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #2,506 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are playing redbook (44.1 kHz / 16-bit) audio without volume control or any other DSP, then upgrading won't make a difference in the sound. However, it is sometimes difficult to know if there is any DSP occuring. If there is DSP of any sort (re-sampling, volume control, etc), the 16-bit limitation will cause distortion due to truncation.

In other words, the 96/24 interface doesn't necessarily sound better, but its more capable of handling the data stream without negative effects.

Thanks,
Elias

Hi Elias,

aCuria answered some of those questions about the remote for me. I still couldn't find a detail list of what the remote control can do on your DAC1 HDR web page. It would also be nice to have a photo of the remote and the black faceplate.
Another question I have would be the same old one about the analog source. I'm sure you have your reason for keeping just one analog input. But do you have any suggestion for someone like me who needs more than one analog inputs( vinyl; SACD; etc..)? I did try to use the DAC1pre as a preamp but gave up at the end because it's not practical to have to switch inputs in a different switch box (I have one from Mapletree.)all the time. Any advice here?

Don't know about others- but that would be the major factor for me to decide whether I want to buy the HDR or not. I would like to use it as a preamp rather than just a DAC and headphone amp. I guess in the back of my mind I am worried that Benchmark would come up with a preamp with more than one input after I have bought the HDR.
biggrin.gif

I love the sound of the DAC1 though!

Thanks again!

Paul

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #2,507 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Elias,

I am interested in pre or the hdr model and did not make up my mind yet. I had the chance to audition DAC1 pre before and I did not find it to be too analytical as some will claim here about other versions of DAC1 or DAC1 in general. Maybe that engaging feeling was coming from the synergy between my ACS T2 iems and the pre, who knows. I was planning on getting the pre version until I saw the hdr as well. It seems like the difference between those two are the motorized potentiometer and the remote. There is no upgrade to any other parts regarding dac section on hdr over pre version, am I right? Considering that I mostly will use it with a computer setup, I might as well choose not to get the hdr and save another $300. Are there any sonic differences? Which one do you recommend?

I have another question: Regarding the outputs in the back of the unit, does the unit control the volume no matter what is given as input? I am curious if a digital input also enables the use of the volume or the volume control is only limited to whenever an anolog input is connected to it?

I appreciate your time and efforts here. Thank you very much.

Hello Artears,

The remote control and the new Alps volume and are the only differences between the DAC1 HDR and DAC1 PRE. The new pot will offer some sonic differences. It won't change the 'tone', but it has better inter-channel tracking and longer life. Most pots will suffer from crackling, etc after a few years. This pot will last significantly longer then most.

The volume control affects all inputs equally.

Thanks,
Elias

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #2,508 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I still couldn't find a detail list of what the remote control can do on your DAC1 HDR web page. It would also be nice to have a photo of the remote and the black faceplate...

The remote will control 'On/Off', Input selection, volume up/down, mute, and dim.

We included an 'intelligent dim' setting. The user can set the dim level with the remote, and the DAC1 HDR will remember it. The user can change the 'normal' volume setting, but it won't affect the 'dim' setting stored in memory. Also, adjusting the 'dim' setting won't affect the 'normal' setting.

The 'soft mute' is also linked to the user-set 'dim' setting. That is, the soft-mute engages a volume fade from the normal setting to the 'dim' setting before the mute is engaged. After mute is disengaged, the volume ramps from the 'dim' setting back to the 'normal' setting.

No pictures of the remote control or black faceplate are available yet.

All the best,
Elias

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #2,509 of 3,058
Quote:

Ok folks, here is the official DAC1 HDR trade-in policy:

Any DAC1, DAC1 USB, and/or DAC1 PRE that was purchased directly from Benchmark on or after March 1, 2009 may be returned for a full refund of the purchase price towards a DAC1 HDR. The returned unit(s) must be in like-new condition or they will be subject to a restocking fee.

This offer ends May 1, 2009.

All the best,
Elias

Shouldn't Benchmark be willing to offer the same return/upgrade policy to anyone who purchased a unit from a Benchmark authorized dealer?

My own DAC1 Pre is too old to qualify, and I'm not looking to trade it, but it was purchased from an authorized dealer in the U.S.. If I were the dealer, I would be unhappy about any policy which favors purchases directly from the manufacturer. That makes for a company competing against its own distribution channels on an unlevel playing field.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #2,510 of 3,058
Quote:

Ok folks, here is the official DAC1 HDR trade-in policy:

Any DAC1, DAC1 USB, and/or DAC1 PRE that was purchased directly from Benchmark on or after March 1, 2009 may be returned for a full refund of the purchase price towards a DAC1 HDR. The returned unit(s) must be in like-new condition or they will be subject to a restocking fee.

This offer ends May 1, 2009.

All the best,
Elias

Wow! I am really impressed by this. When this topic was broached earlier i did not expect it to happen.
o2smile.gif

Now if you have a student deal too...
L3000.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #2,512 of 3,058
Quote:

Common-mode rejection is important for eliminating noise. Also, if a load's differential amp isn't designed properly, it could lead to distortion. Lower source impedance helps prevent this also.

The DAC1 USB has the 4562's on the output driver section only, while the DAC1 PRE has 4562's all throughout the analog circuit. There are no measurable sonic differences between the two, but many users and reviewers have mentioned preferring the sound of the DAC1 PRE.

Elias

Is the common-mode rejection something that either happens or does not happen? or does it always occur to some varying degree

by "all throughout the analog circuit" you mean one at the output driver section and the other... at the analog input?

"no measurable sonic differences" implies that there is a measurable sonic difference between the vanilla DAC-1 and the pre? If so, what is this difference?

Lastly, what are your personal views on the sonic differences between the DAC-1 and the USB version?

Once again thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2,513 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't Benchmark be willing to offer the same return/upgrade policy to anyone who purchased a unit from a Benchmark authorized dealer?

My own DAC1 Pre is too old to qualify, and I'm not looking to trade it, but it was purchased from an authorized dealer in the U.S.. If I were the dealer, I would be unhappy about any policy which favors purchases directly from the manufacturer. That makes for a company competing against its own distribution channels on an unlevel playing field.

Each dealer is free to make their own policy regarding trade-ins.

Besides, our trade-in policy is merely a two-week extension of our normal 30-day trial policy.

All the best,
Elias

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #2,514 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by aCuria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! I am really impressed by this. When this topic was broached earlier i did not expect it to happen.
o2smile.gif

Now if you have a student deal too...
L3000.gif

We don't offer student discounts.

All the best,
Elias

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #2,515 of 3,058
Quote:

Is the common-mode rejection something that either happens or does not happen? or does it always occur to some varying degree

It happens to varying degrees. Specifically, it is measured and specified as CMRR (Common Mode Rejection Ratio).

Quote:

by "all throughout the analog circuit" you mean one at the output driver section and the other... at the analog input?

There are several gain stages, which use opamps, throughout the analog portion of the circuit. These are all upgraded in the DAC1 PRE and DAC1 HDR.

Quote:

"no measurable sonic differences" implies that there is a measurable sonic difference between the vanilla DAC-1 and the pre? If so, what is this difference?

There are no measurable sonic differences between the DAC1 USB and DAC1 PRE/HDR. However, the original DAC1, which has the 5532 opamps, may have significant sonic differences in the presence of high load capacitance or low load impedance. In those cases, the audio may experience high-frequency roll-off and/or distortion.

All the best,
Elias

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #2,516 of 3,058
I'm glad to heard about the trade-in policy Benchmark is offering to recent DAC1 PRE customers toward the new DAC1 HDR. It is certainly a nice gesture from Benchmark and also signifies the great customer service they provide.

I'm now waiting for my DAC1 HDR to arrive, hopefully by this week. :)

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #2,519 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Just wanted to ask, if you could please consider adding those little 12v in/out triggers on the next iteration of the DAC1?

It would be so great if we could turn on/off an entire system, via the DAC1 remote control - and would also make it even more "family friendly" for home systems.
smile.gif

Thanks again, very much, for all your nice help and support!

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #2,520 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-U-E-S-T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Elias,

Just wanted to ask, if you could please consider adding those little 12v in/out triggers on the next iteration of the DAC1?

It would be so great if we could turn on/off an entire system, via the DAC1 remote control - and would also make it even more "family friendly" for home systems.
smile.gif

Thanks again, very much, for all your nice help and support!

Thanks for the suggestion! We will certainly take this into consideration.

All the best,
Elias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back