Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Apr 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #2,476 of 3,058
Does any one know what advantages does the 4562 bring to the DAC1 USB/PRE?

And what other advantages do the USB and PRE versions have over the DAC1, other than the input/output flexibility?

Another thing:

If i use the DAC1 with active monitors like the BM5A, how will the volume control work out?

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #2,477 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by aCuria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does any one know what advantages does the 4562 bring to the DAC1 USB/PRE?

And what other advantages do the USB and PRE versions have over the DAC1, other than the input/output flexibility?

Another thing:

If i use the DAC1 with active monitors like the BM5A, how will the volume control work out?

The 4562 can push higher current levels without sacrificing performance. This allows us to lower the output impedance, which is good for a few reasons. It is less likely to attenuate higher frequencies due to load capacitance. Also, it optimizes common-mode rejection ratio. Also, if the load has low impedance, the increase current draw won't induce distortion from the 4562.

Here is a comparison list between the three currently available DAC1 models (the new DAC1 HDR is not on the list, but it has everything the DAC1 PRE has plus a remote control and custom Alps volume pot):

DAC1 Comparison Chart | Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

The DAC1's volume control works great with the BM5A's. In fact, they are such a good combo, that we sell them as a package.

All the best,
Elias

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #2,478 of 3,058
Hello EliasGwinn, I have been reading and reading through this thread, and there is some great information here. I have a DAC1 USB and am very pleased with the results. I am feeding my Apple tv, which is loaded with apple lossless, not wireless, direct to the DAC1, then to the Mcintosh C-46 pre, then to some monoblocks. I am really enjoying the sound. I know that the Apple tv is limited to 44.1 output, and my question is, will I benefit if I change over the Apple tv to a mac mini to stream 96/24, or will I not see an audible difference ?? Any info would be greatly appreciated...... thanks

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #2,480 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 4562 can push higher current levels without sacrificing performance. This allows us to lower the output impedance, which is good for a few reasons. It is less likely to attenuate higher frequencies due to load capacitance. Also, it optimizes common-mode rejection ratio. Also, if the load has low impedance, the increase current draw won't induce distortion from the 4562.

I dont quite get it
confused_face_2.gif

1) The 4562 can push higher current levels without sacrificing performance. This allows us to lower the output impedance, which is good for a few reasons.

It is less likely to attenuate higher frequencies due to load capacitance.
-meaning on the DAC-1 the high frequencies tend to drop off more as compared to the DAC-1-USB?
-Does this occur at the unbalanced out, balanced out and the headphone amp?
-what kind of components have high load capacitances?

It optimizes common-mode rejection ratio.
-"The common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR) of a differential amplifier (or other device) measures the tendency of the device to reject input signals common to both input leads."
-How does this affect the sound in the end?

Also, if the load has low impedance, the increase current draw won't induce distortion from the 4562.
-Am i right to say the 4562s have a lower output impedance than those used in the vanilla DAC-1, which helps to suppress resonances and free oscillations at the speakers?

Comparing the usb to the pre, does the second 4562 help drive the analogue out as well? or is it linked to the analogue in of the pre (ie: if i connect the usb and the pre using coaxial, will there be any difference in the output?)

Once again, thanks for the help. I am deciding between the vanilla DAC1, the DAC1 usb, and the DA-10. I dont really need the usb, although its nice to have. It will be nice if you could point out the advantages of the DAC1 over the DA-10 as well =)

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #2,481 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Just wanted to say that if Benchmark does decide to offer a trade-up program (DAC1-PRE to DAC1-HDR), I would likely take advantage of it. As you know, my family and I absolutely love our DAC1-PRE (received in 10/08), it has radically improved our music listening experience and made it fun again - but the new features of the HDR version would just be so great for us to have. Either way though, thanks again for such great products (and support)! You're the best.
smile.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #2,483 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think they have a trade-in program
I have sent them mail, and no they won't do it, what a bummer
frown.gif

Perhaps you could try to sell it? The DAC-1 seems to hold its value well compared to the others

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #2,485 of 3,058
i think i will have to sell my pre for the HDR, i now need the remote capability, i didnt initially, plus its an excuse to try a bit of new kit
tongue.gif

edit:
elias, any photos doing the rounds of the remote that is included?

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #2,486 of 3,058
Quote:

Amm yes I could, but the new HDR only offer a remote and maybe a little better pot, I don't think it is worth it, not ??

Probably not, but if benchmark had a trade up program, i think you will be facing similar losses no?

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2,487 of 3,058
No
A trade in will be better, at least for me

I really don't understand why brands don't have such a thing.

I prefer buying from brands that DO care of their costumers and know that tech is changing and we can't sell and buy each time, so if there something new and I am a return costumer, at least do me a discount or something!

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #2,488 of 3,058
Quote:

No

I prefer buying from brands that DO care of their costumers and know that tech is changing and we can't sell and buy each time, so if there something new and I am a return costumer, at least do me a discount or something!

buyer remorse is a pain

but that's the way it is.

who knows, that elias guy might hook you up or something.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #2,489 of 3,058
Quote:

No

Because then they would be faced with the burden of selling an unknown amount of used equipment in various conditions. Either they take the hit and give you a discount, which requires them to devote time and resources to collecting and repurposing old units, or you sell it and give yourself the discount.

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #2,490 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Some questions about the Benchmark HDR. Is the remote only for volume control? Can it switch sources? I couldn't find any details pictures on your website. Also, Are we still stuck with 1 analog source? People might want to know these before they make their decision.

I enjoy the DAC1pre's sound quality very much but there are one or two things that I thought it could improve- one of them is the need of a remote control which has been addressed in the upcoming HDR. The other problem I have with the pre is the lack of anlog inputs. Anyone who listens to vinyl and SACD will find the pre wanting. If I want to use it as a preamp, I have to use a switch box which is not ideal.

Are you offering any exhange deals? People who bought the pre will not likely spend more on the HDR unless they sell first.

Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back