Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jun 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #1,666 of 3,058
Finally managed to get a DAC1 Pre for under $2500 (
mad.gif
) and it does sound great, but I was wondering if it's normal for the DAC to get very warm even if it is just plugged in but turned off?

Jun 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #1,667 of 3,058
I've just bought HiFi-Tuning ceramic fuses and 2 Noise Destroyers.
I strongly suggest that DAC1 users try at least the fuses. They did wonders with it! Sub-bass is a lot deeper, as well as the soundstage and focus/pin-point.

Definitively worth the 13 euros!
smily_headphones1.gif

DSC_0354c.jpg

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #1,668 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by erotisches /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If DAC1 comes with remoter control for source switching, that would be great.

Thanks for the suggestions, erotisches!

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #1,669 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03lab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally managed to get a DAC1 Pre for under $2500 (
mad.gif
) and it does sound great, but I was wondering if it's normal for the DAC to get very warm even if it is just plugged in but turned off?

Hey 03lab,

I'm glad to hear you were able to find a modestly priced unit.

Putting your hand on the DAC1 PRE should feel like the temperature of a mug of coffee. This will be the case even when it is in standby mode, as this mode does not actually disengage the power to the unit. It simply puts the unit in 'standby'.

Thanks,
Elias

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #1,670 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought HiFi-Tuning ceramic fuses and 2 Noise Destroyers.
I strongly suggest that DAC1 users try at least the fuses. They did wonders with it! Sub-bass is a lot deeper, as well as the soundstage and focus/pin-point.

Definitively worth the 13 euros!
smily_headphones1.gif

If, as EliasGwinn has stated, the fuses are not in the signal path for the DAC1 series, how would different fuses possibly affect the sound? If the original fuses were limiting current draw, wouldn't that have blown the fuses?

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #1,671 of 3,058
Fuses are always in the signal path, since the output signal of any audio equipment is power supply current modulated by the input signal. Filtering input power is different from saying power supply-side stuff is not in the signal path--technically it is. The electrical signal that comes out of audio equipment first came into it over the power cable.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #1,672 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Putting your hand on the DAC1 PRE should feel like the temperature of a mug of coffee. This will be the case even when it is in standby mode, as this mode does not actually disengage the power to the unit. It simply puts the unit in 'standby'.

Phew, glad to hear this is normal, I was afraid I'd have to send the unit back (getting this particular DAC1 was quite an ordeal!).

So far I absolutely love my DAC1 PRE, which is now driving my active ADAM's and my HD600 wirelessly from my MacBook Pro via an Airport Express. It's the perfect minimalist setup I've always wanted!
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #1,673 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowbar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fuses are always in the signal path, since the output signal of any audio equipment is power supply current modulated by the input signal. Filtering input power is different from saying power supply-side stuff is not in the signal path--technically it is. The electrical signal that comes out of audio equipment first came into it over the power cable.

Have you upgraded the fuses in any of your audio gear and heard a difference?

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #1,674 of 3,058
Of course not. The power supply should have a high enough rejection ratio to filter any contribution from the fuses. That doesn't take away from what I wrote, however--I worded myself very carefully.
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #1,675 of 3,058
Crowbar, you should try them for youself. They are somewhat cheap, for such a difference it makes, defitively worth trying.

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #1,676 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If, as EliasGwinn has stated, the fuses are not in the signal path for the DAC1 series, how would different fuses possibly affect the sound? If the original fuses were limiting current draw, wouldn't that have blown the fuses?

They are not in the signal path, ok, but they are directly feeding all the analog section's power. Don't ask me the technical stuff. Use your ears instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #1,677 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not in the signal path, ok, but they are directly feeding all the analog section's power. Don't ask me the technical stuff. Use your ears instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

And the difference you hear with these fuses, is it only through the analog outputs (RCA and/or XLR), or is it also through the headphone jacks?

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #1,679 of 3,058
Bostonears, analog outs and headphone jacks both.

bsckwan, I said that too some time ago. Correct bit-transparent SPDIF sound better/cleaner then the USB implementation.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #1,680 of 3,058
Matias: question I have a usb benchmark with asio4all which limits me to 24/48 going to the dac. How do you find juli--any problems or difficulties? Is the digital out good (what are you using-toslink or spdif)? Have you tried some of the 24/96 and 24/192 downloads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back