Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jan 4, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #1,171 of 3,058
No problem - and thanks for the info. I just got some balanced cables and have been doing some listening. I generally need to have the volume of the Stax amp at around 12 o'clock. On quieter albums it can go up to 2 o'clock, rarely higher. The DAC1 volume control is not being used (in calibrated mode).

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #1,172 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So The DAC1 can support 2 channel Uncompressed PCM to take advantage of Blu Rays audio? Or Dolby HD? Or would I need a HDMI device, as I been told, next gen audio HD/BR needs more bandwidth that optical/coaxial doesn't have..

Kool,

If a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player can output 2-channel uncompressed PCM via coax, optical, or XLR, then the DAC1 will support it.

Will you need an HDMI device? This question is difficult to answer because the protocols and regulations change so often, often without official declaration or documentation.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #1,173 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elias,
I noticed the new DAC1/HD650 package and I'm curious as to why the HD650 was chosen. Have you performed any frequency response tests with various headphones?

Great question. We did not choose the HD650's because of frequency response or distortion tests, but because we are very familiar with the HD650's sonic performance and find them very capable. We've had the HD650's for a few years and are very happy with them.

The DAC1/HD650 package was created as a response to a lot of feedback from our customers who wanted a high-performance, quality headphone system but don't have the time or resources to try every combination. Many of our customers simply call us and say, "I love the DAC1, and I want headphones, what should I buy?" This package makes it easier, and saves them a little bit of money.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #1,174 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great question. We did not choose the HD650's because of frequency response or distortion tests, but because we are very familiar with the HD650's sonic performance and find them very capable. We've had the HD650's for a few years and are very happy with them.

The DAC1/HD650 package was created as a response to a lot of feedback from our customers who wanted a high-performance, quality headphone system but don't have the time or resources to try every combination. Many of our customers simply call us and say, "I love the DAC1, and I want headphones, what should I buy?" This package makes it easier, and saves them a little bit of money.

Thanks,
Elias

Ermm, actually $1275 + $350 = $1625.
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #1,175 of 3,058
not sure if this was mentioned. but in the recent issue of stereophile there is an article on the DAC1 and the article mentions this thread and provides the url.

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #1,176 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elias,

Since you're still here after all these months, I wanted to run a new product idea by you.

I can't be the only one who has the need for a new type of digital two-channel pre-amp. Essentially what I'm envisioning is a full set of digital inputs, a high-quality converter like the one in the DAC1, and remote controlled input switching and volume (with a nice analog pot). While you're at it make it full rack width...

Right now I'm using my Slimdevices Transporter for this; it converts digital signals from my cable box and PS3 and of course handles PC music playback with an excellent UI. It does the job pretty well -- conversion is very nice --but doesn't have an analog volume control, and the inputs can't easily be switched remotely (the process requires multiple button presses). So I've had to keep my pre-amp in the rack to make the system user friendly.

So really the only differences between what I'm proposing and the DAC1 are a remote control and perhaps more a few more inputs for consumer audio. If this product existed I could get rid of my pre-amp altogether and pair my digital pre-amp with my amps directly... Sweet.

I thought about getting a nice audiophile pre-pro, but I'd be paying for extra channels of conversion and video features I don't need.

Elias

Full credit for againing showing your sensitivity to members on this site.
Back in August the above suggestion was made, and Benchmark have responded (whether already on the drawing board or not).

NEW PREAMP DAC FROM BENCHMARK: New Benchmark DAC1 PRE Stereo Playback Pre-amplifier | Computer Audiophile

Congratulations and thanks!

Frank

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #1,179 of 3,058
Whoa! This is cool.

One question: no remote control, right? This could be great paired with a small amp like the Parasound Zamp or the PS Audio Trio.

I love the way high-end equipment keeps getting smaller and smaller...

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #1,180 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do I always time my purchases so poorly...

Can't be too hard to sell or trade what you have?

I was waiting to see what was new at CES before finalising my PC Audio development plan. The Benchmark DAC Pre is now a certainty for one of two system paths I am trying to decide on.

Frank

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #1,181 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by xp9433 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't be too hard to sell or trade what you have?

Three weeks after receiving it...
rolleyes.gif

Yeah I could but the DAC1 USB is fine - just that I would have bought the PRE if I new about it.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #1,182 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Three weeks after receiving it...
rolleyes.gif

Yeah I could but the DAC1 USB is fine - just that I would have bought the PRE if I new about it.
wink.gif

Poo,

If you bought your DAC1 USB within the last 30 days (and if it is in like-new condition), you can exchange it and get full value towards a DAC1 PRE.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #1,183 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Poo,

If you bought your DAC1 USB within the last 30 days (and if it is in like-new condition), you can exchange it and get full value towards a DAC1 PRE.

Thanks,
Elias

Sweet
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ooops... got all excited and forgot to ask how I go about doing that...

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #1,184 of 3,058
The Pre looks like a serious giant killer, very nice. Some basic questions Elias, are the analog in's rca jacks? Did you all upgrade the jacks slightly like some people had asked in this thread? Can I use the rca in's to use as an input into the computer to create wav's of all my old cassettes/lp's, as oppossed to my very old fashioned hhb 800? To be able to hook all these sources up in one small box for 1.5k is amazing. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #1,185 of 3,058
Elias

You have offered a very good support-service in this thread. Tremendous man-ours worked.

Can you devalue a comparism between Dac1 Usb and Dac Pre ?

What is new, supported fileformats, different sound, is it possible to connect a turntable to analog in, etc ?

Different range of use between Dac1 Usb and Dac Pre ?

Everything you can bring forward that has something to do with differences between Dac1 Usb and Dac Pre, please. I am courious.

Then you can copy it and paste it in this thread when you need.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back