Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jan 10, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #1,186 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ooops... got all excited and forgot to ask how I go about doing that...

We're getting the details together for an exchange policy. I'll let you know as soon as we have it worked out. Until then, enjoy the DAC1 USB!

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #1,187 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffgong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pre looks like a serious giant killer, very nice. Some basic questions Elias, are the analog in's rca jacks? Did you all upgrade the jacks slightly like some people had asked in this thread? Can I use the rca in's to use as an input into the computer to create wav's of all my old cassettes/lp's, as oppossed to my very old fashioned hhb 800? To be able to hook all these sources up in one small box for 1.5k is amazing. Thanks.

Tuffgong,

The RCA and coaxial jacks have been ugraded to high-quality, chassis-mounted connectors.

The DAC1 PRE does not convert analog signals to digital signals, so it can't be used for archiving analog sources. The analog inputs are for interfacing an analog source to the built-in HPA2 headphone amplifier or to the device that the DAC1 PRE is driving, such as an power amplifier or powered speakers.

The ADC1 USB can be used to archive. It will deliver high-quality, high-resolution wav's of cassettes, LP's, radio programs, etc. directly to the USB port on your computer or the digital input to your CD burner.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #1,188 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can you devalue a comparism between Dac1 Usb and Dac Pre ?

The DAC1 PRE is a whole new beast. It is Benchmark's first stereo system pre-amplifier. It can anchor an entire media system consisting of analog and digital sources, and deliver a pristine signal to your amplifier. It has 6 inputs, including analog, USB, optical and 3 coaxials! And, to officially bring it into the world of pre-amplifiers, it has a power button!
eek.gif

It also features the HPA2 0-ohm headphone amplifier. The analog and coaxial inputs feature high-quality chassis-mounted RCA type jacks. The analog circuit uses LM4562 throughout. The 4562 is the newest, state-of-the-tech, high-current, low-distortion opamps from National Instruments. The analog inputs are compatible with most analog sources including iPod, cassette, phono pre, tuner, etc. It is not a phono input, so it cannot connect directly with a turntable. A phono pre is required to interface a turntable to the DAC1 PRE.

The sound of the DAC1 PRE is the familiar "Benchmark Sound" of clarity, definition, and accuracy.

I hope that helps!!

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #1,189 of 3,058
Quote:

I hope that helps!!

Elias

That helps. I am just an old "hobby wannabe computeraudio nerd" that needs some time to figure out things. I was almost on my way taking the subway to a pro audio shop. Phurschasing the DAC1 USB, but something else(not computer audio-hifi related) came up and took the money.

A couple of more questions, please.

Is the difference between DAC1 USB and DAC1 PRE-anolog in, good analog circuits, uppgraded rca jacks, 1 more digital in, power button?

It is a difference. Is the analog XLR-Output connectors and circuits/drivers the same as in DAC1 USB?

If you ONLY need the digital inputs that is already on the DAC1 USB, is there any difference in use, in stereo audio listening?

Thank you.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #1,190 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, to officially bring it into the world of pre-amplifiers, it has a power button!
eek.gif

Good lord! A what?!?!?!???

tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #1,191 of 3,058
Another feature of the DAC1 PRE which I forgot to mention, and will be especially interesting to the Head-Fi community...:

Another headphone gain range!! The DAC1 PRE offers a 0 dB, a -10 dB AND a -20 dB gain range for even the most sensitive headphones. The DAC1 USB offers only a 0 dB and a -10 dB gain range.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #1,193 of 3,058
Could someone make some comparison between grace m902 and dac1 pre's specifications in terms of pre-amplifier?

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #1,194 of 3,058
Given that it is designed to be used as a pre-amp, is the variable output circuitry (i.e. the volume control) in the DAC1 PRE significantly different/better than the DAC1 USB? I'm asking because I use the variable output from my DAC1 USB to control an amplifier directly (rather than going through a pre-amp with the calibrated output setting).

Jan 13, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #1,195 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there IR control for the Pre? This is key for making it useful in the living room IMO.

I'm interested in this question as well. If it has a remote, this would be the ideal 2ch dac/pre for me.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #1,197 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there IR control for the Pre? This is key for making it useful in the living room IMO.

Gregeas,

There is no IR control for the DAC1 PRE.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #1,198 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone make some comparison between grace m902 and dac1 pre's specifications in terms of pre-amplifier?

Would you like a comparison between performance spec's or product features?

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #1,200 of 3,058
Elias

On the DAC1 PRE are the analog audio input be passed out through balanced outputs?

Is the analog XLR-Output connectors and circuits/drivers the same as in DAC1 USB?

If you ONLY need the digital inputs that is already on the DAC1 USB, is there any difference in use, in stereo audio listening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back