Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jul 15, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #736 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiza_Gab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can it be a good DAC for electronic music or rap ? (I listen to alot of different kind of music too)

I listen to everything on the DAC1 (EVERYTHING) including electronic and rap. DAC1's accuracy lends to it the ability to play any format back without 'color'.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #737 of 3,058
I was actually hoping someone would invent a device that could automatically filter out rap, country or anything by Barbara Streisand or Fleetwood Mac.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #738 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Do you have any updates on the Mac OS testing regarding System Output? Thanks!

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #739 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmagnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to everything on the DAC1 (EVERYTHING) including electronic and rap. DAC1's accuracy lends to it the ability to play any format back without 'color'.

Rap without color? Is that Eminem and stuff?
basshead.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #740 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiza_Gab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can it be a good DAC for electronic music or rap ? (I listen to alot of different kind of music too)

And cansman, why do you have a DAC1 and some headamps, I tought it was a stand-alone DAC, it doesn't sound good without headamp ?

Wiza_Gab,

The DAC1 is designed to playback music exactly as the artists/producers/engineers wanted the music to sound. When the people were in the studio making the music, they were listening through a pro-quality D-to-A converter, such as the DAC1. (and the coolest part for bass-heavy music is the DAC1's bandwidth extends below 1 Hz, and is incredibly phase accurate for really tight bass...not floppy or muddy at all).

The headphone amplifier in the DAC1 is similar in respect to its pinpoint accuracy. Some folks prefer to drive other headphone amps with the DAC1 because they have a particular fondness for certain headphone amps. I work in a professional studio and I have a listening room at my house, and I use nothing but the DAC1 in both locations.

Thanks,
Elias

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #741 of 3,058
I'm the one who thanks you Elias.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm probably going to buy it soon, it looks fantastic because currently I feel that the Total Bithead hasn't enough power to drive my HD650 at their best.

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #742 of 3,058
Sorry Wisa_Gab,

I missed your post to me. I have several amps for different use - like the Hornet and Tomahawk for portable duties. My Naim amp is used with my main sound system.

The Benchmark is used on my home office desk. As Elias said, I feel the headphone section of the DAC is very good and the bass, really tight and timing, quite superb!

Regards,
cansman

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #743 of 3,058
Bass from the Benchmark is exactly what goes into it. If the recording engineer used a good mic on the drums, you will feel the thump of the attack.

Mine (I have one in the bedroom and one on my desk) work with everything I play. Other than the Revox A77 tape deck I had, the DAC1 is the best component I've ever bought.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #744 of 3,058
Does anyone use the DAC 1 USB as a preamp? I received my DAC1 USB this week and am comparing it to a Meier Corda Opera both as a preamp with speakers and as a headphone amp. I notice the bass with the DAC 1 USB as a preamp is a little leaner than the Opera although not at all thin, just less warm, less punchy. I am comparing relative to the Opera here. I am not comparing the DAC1 USB preamp to it's headamp but comparing the DAC1 USB headamp to the Opera headamp and then comparing the DAC1 USB preamp to Opera as a preamp. By the way, the highs on the DAC1 USB extend beautifully and the mid range is slightly more transparent than the Opera and very well defined. I found a surprising source song with lots of attack dynamics...believe it or not the song Buenos Aires on the Madonna "Evita" motion picture soundtrack.

If you use your DAC1 USB as a preamp, do you leave the -20db jumper in place? I am considering removing it since my monitors don't seem to be too sensitive and with some source material, I need the extra gain (classical).

I have found the DAC1 USB to be a solid performer as a DAC. It is very stable with zero hiccups in my limited use.

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #745 of 3,058
I use the DAC1 USB, which is on my desk and connnected to two computers, as a pre-amp. It drives the Sony ES-line power amp, and sounds good. I haven't done anything with the settings, so the 20dB pad is wherever it was set at the factory. The volume control is at a good place, about 10 or 11 o'clock, for normal listening.

I also use this one with headphones (E500) when I want isolation.

One computer is a PC, connected with S/PDIF. The other is a Mac Powerbook, using the USB.

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #746 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the DAC1 USB, which is on my desk and connnected to two computers, as a pre-amp. It drives the Sony ES-line power amp, and sounds good. I haven't done anything with the settings, so the 20dB pad is wherever it was set at the factory. The volume control is at a good place, about 10 or 11 o'clock, for normal listening.

I also use this one with headphones (E500) when I want isolation.

One computer is a PC, connected with S/PDIF. The other is a Mac Powerbook, using the USB.

Mine is connected via USB to a Mac Mini. My Denon 5801 is the power amp being driven by the DAC 1 USB and the Opera. I do not have any sources of variation that could be throwing this A/B test off except perhaps the difference in gain between the preamps and the fact that the Opera has a low/high gain setting. I use a radio shack SPL meter upon set up to make sure I am listening with the same gain settings. My speakers are the terrific Legacy Studio's in gorgeous rosewood. This is my office set up and really both DAC/AMP combos sound good but....I cannot avoid pointing out the differences I observe.

Question for Elias or others who may know; Does the DAC1 USB use it's headamp as part of the chain for the preamp? I appreciate the base when comparing these components via the headamp but less so when listening via the DAC1 USB as the headamp. Not sure how relevant that point is when doing the comparison but I need to make sure my chosen source is locked in before adding to the chain.

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #747 of 3,058
Hi dmk, thanks for your questions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not have any sources of variation that could be throwing this A/B test off except perhaps the difference in gain between the preamps and the fact that the Opera has a low/high gain setting. I use a radio shack SPL meter upon set up to make sure I am listening with the same gain settings.

This is the biggest factor in comparing products, so it is very good that you recognized and calibrated it. (Well, the ubiquitous 'placebo effect' is also a big factor, but we'll leave that for some other folks to discuss in another thread.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the DAC1 USB use it's headamp as part of the chain for the preamp? I appreciate the base when comparing these components via the headamp but less so when listening via the DAC1 USB as the headamp.

The headamp and the preamp portion of the DAC1 are independant, but both are being driven from the same source. Regarding your observations, we have heard and tested many, many audiophile devices which intentionally boost the low-end to give an impression of an 'impressive bottom'. I have not heard or tested the pre-amp that you are using, so I do not wish to imply that it is doing that. However, the DAC1 was designed to reproduce the bottom, mids, and tops exactly as they are presented in the source material.

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #748 of 3,058
I have read your article already and have set the settings accordingly with iTune. Audio MIDI, Sound Check, Sound Enhancers, and etc.

So, what you are saying is, if I get the older model, I would get the same result coming from Optical. is this correct? I just want to double check because someone told me that if the sound is coming from optical, it's already processed by the interval sound card, and if I pass that to DAC, I am basically re-processing it and the sound would be worst since the data is already altered unlike direct USB connection.

Is this true statement or false? I am currently using HD 600 and planning to get other high impedance cans. I doubt that I would buy any low impedance cans in the future. So, the switch and a new driver may not be a killing option for me.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Regards.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #750 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tosehee,

The DAC1 Classic will serve your purposes well.

Thanks,
Elias

Just to re-iterate, what basis does this person come up with the idea that internal sound card processes the sound already if using the optical line, but a direct raw feed if using USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back