Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jul 30, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #766 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cansman,

I got a chance to put the MacBook on the bench. It seems to be bit-transparent independent of what 'System Output' is set to.

Also, I noticed that iTunes was able to achieve bit-transparency at 44/24, which is new to this version (7.3.1). It is still NOT bit-transparent at 24-bits with other sample-rates. (I don't have any idea why it would be like this, but
confused.gif
...thats a question for Apple).

Thanks,
Elias

Hi Elias,

Thanks so much for testing the Mac OS X! It's really good to know that I can divert system sounds away from the DAC1 - it gets annoying with the system sounds occasionally breaking through!

Based on your testing, is bit-transparency 44/24 achieved regardless of volume settings of the Built-in Audio (input and output)? This helps in being able to independently set system sounds to a reasonable level without it being too loud through the computer speakers.

Related to the above and as my previous post, if the above is true, I presume the alert volume setting under system preferences>sound>sound effects can be set at whatever level and the choice to engage or disengage the "play user interface sound effects" and "play feedback when volume is changed" settings does not affect bit-transparency?

Finally, thanks for discovering this - it is really baffling that iTunes is not bit-perfect at other sampling rates other than 44/24! Fortunately for me, most of my music is encoded with apple lossless.

Thanks once again Elias for being so helpful.

Warm regards,
cansman

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #767 of 3,058
Cansman,

If you are sending the system output to the 'built-in output', I am fairly certain that the volumes and other settings for system output will not affect the 'default output', which is the DAC1 USB in this case.

iTunes is bit-transparent at other sample-rates with 16-bit audio, but only 44.1kHz with 24-bit audio. It is bit-transparent at the following resolutions: 44/16, 44/24, 48/16, 96/16.

Thanks,
Elias

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #768 of 3,058
Elias,

You have answered all my questions
600smile.gif
. Thanks once again for putting the DAC1 on the test bench and clarifying bit transparent sampling rates.

Very much appreciated!

Cheers,
cansman

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #769 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elias,

...a new type of digital two-channel pre-amp. Essentially what I'm envisioning is a full set of digital inputs, a high-quality converter like the one in the DAC1, and remote controlled input switching and volume (with a nice analog pot). While you're at it make it full rack width...

So really the only differences between what I'm proposing and the DAC1 are a remote control and perhaps more a few more inputs for consumer audio. If this product existed I could get rid of my pre-amp altogether and pair my digital pre-amp with my amps directly... Sweet.

Gregeas,

We don't currently have any plans to build such a device, but I am interested in your suggestion. Could you provide a more detailed list of what features you are specifically requesting?

Thanks,
Elias

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #770 of 3,058
Quote:

Gregeas,

We don't currently have any plans to build such a device, but I am interested in your suggestion. Could you provide a more detailed list of what features you are specifically requesting?

Thanks,
Elias

The idea would to make a pro studio/audiophile grade "digital pre-amp" that would combine the features of the DAC1 and a traditional pre-amp into a single chassis. Another way to think of this is as a simplified pre-amp/processor focused on two channel audio.

It would have these features:

* Full rack width size
* High quality analog volume control
* Switchable digital inputs including coax x 3, optical x 2, XLR, USB (similar to the array on the DAC1 plus a few extra consumer inputs)
* RCA x 2 and balanced output (an extra set of RCA out would be excellent for external headamps)
* Top-quality D to A conversion
* Head amp a plus
* Analog inputs a plus
* Inputs and volume controlled remotely
* Some kind of visual display for the volume level for non-desktop use

I got this idea from using a pre-amp and a Slimdevices Transporter, which has multiple digital inputs, in my main system. Many of the features above overlap in these two boxes, but I can't combine them without making sacrifices. For example, the Transporter doesn't have an analog volume control, just a digital one.

The idea is to use the digital pre-pro as a high-quality hub for various devices that have digital output: cable box, DVD player, CD player, computer, game console, etc.

The digital pre-pro would allow me to switch inputs and control volume remotely, from my listening position. Combine it with a nice amp/speakers and BAM, you've got an amazing minimalist system.

The drawback of using a DAC1 in this type of non-desktop setting is that there is no remote...

I don't think this would require much engineering in addition to what Benchmark has already done, and I imagine a product like this would find its way into home audiophile systems and pro studios, much as the DAC1 has done.

I'd buy this product in a second. It might be a bit ahead of its time, but demand for something like this will be there, I believe. Witness the growing audiophile acceptance of computer audio... I for one have ditched all of my disk spinner at this point.

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #771 of 3,058
Quote:

We have no reason to believe that the life-expectancy of the ROHS compliant DAC1's are any shorter then the non-ROHS versions (which we are no longer manufacturing).

thanks for the quick reply elias, your posts are always very helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

what lead free alternative is benchmark using? what solder alloy and manufacturing treatment? i've read that there were initially many solder options but now they have been narrowed down to just a few with each having different weaknesses and strengths.

thanks!

Aug 2, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #772 of 3,058
Quote:

The idea would to make a pro studio/audiophile grade "digital pre-amp" that would combine the features of the DAC1 and a traditional pre-amp into a single chassis. Another way to think of this is as a simplified pre-amp/processor focused on two channel audio.

........I'd buy this product in a second. It might be a bit ahead of its time, but demand for something like this will be there, I believe. Witness the growing audiophile acceptance of computer audio... I for one have ditched all of my disk spinner at this point.

Elias

I think gregeas is spot on. I'd buy one in heart beat as well. It would solve all my media requirements.

Frank

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #773 of 3,058
Although I appreciate the feedback about new products, it should be said that there are no plans for such a product. If we were to make such a product, it wouldn't be available for at least 6-9 months, and probably a lot longer. But, as I said, we have no plans for such a product yet.

But we do appreciate hearing from our customers about what they want. We take this feedback very seriously, and we factor it in to our product development plans. However, with a company as small as ours, as well as creating such intensely engineered products, product development is a slow beast. If we were Sony, and pushing out off-the-shelf solutions in a shiny plastic box, we could probably have something available in the next few weeks/months. But, thankfully, we aren't Sony!!
tongue.gif

Thanks,
Elias

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #774 of 3,058
Dear Head-Fi-ers,

I am adding new articles to Benchmark's Audio-Wiki. I would like to extend an offer to everyone to make suggestions for topics to be written about. If there are any ambiguous audio-related subjects, or anything you would like clarified, please feel free to suggest them for coverage in Benchmark's Audio-Wiki articles.

Thanks,
Elias

Aug 3, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #775 of 3,058
Quote:

>The new DAC1 USB, which begins shipping worldwide on March 1, 2007
>at a price of $1275 USD, also includes high-current output drivers that
>can be configured to mute upon headphone insertion.

What the heck are high-current output drivers?

hey greg,

your PM's are full...send me an email

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #776 of 3,058
Quote:

We have no reason to believe that the life-expectancy of the ROHS compliant DAC1's are any shorter then the non-ROHS versions (which we are no longer manufacturing).

The reason for the shortened warranty is because the ROHS regulation standards includes the use of lead-free solder. This has been known to cause 'tin whiskers', which could lead to short-circuits, and potentially damage the unit. The only known method of preventing 'tin whiskers' is adding lead - hence the dilemma. Every company which manufacturers electronics to be sold in the EU and other ROHS-compliant country is experiencing the same dilemma.

So far, since the transition to ROHS-only manufacturing, we have not seen any increase in RMA's or failed units. However, it would be catastrophic to any small company if the lead-free solder failed and they had to recall every single unit made - especially if the majority of the products were sold abroad.

Thermal cycling may increase the chances of failure. Therefore, it is recommended to keep the unit powered up continuously. The auto-standby feature of the DAC1 USB will not cause the unit to cool, so it does not present a problem.

Thanks,
Elias

ps. If you feel that the lead-free solder regulation is a bad idea, please write to the appropriate government representatives of your country and tell them to modify the ROHS standards to allow lead-based solder.

HOLD THE PHONE!

Am I smoking the wrong stuff, or am I hearing that ALL (meaning 100%) of all Benchmark DAC1 USB's are only covered by a TWO year warranty as opposed to FIVE??? (Including those sold in the US???)

Aug 5, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #777 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOLD THE PHONE!

Am I smoking the wrong stuff, or am I hearing that ALL (meaning 100%) of all Benchmark DAC1 USB's are only covered by a TWO year warranty as opposed to FIVE??? (Including those sold in the US???)

I would like to know as well. Could someone from Benchmark give us confirmation on this? 2 to 5 years is a huge difference. Thanks in advance.

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #778 of 3,058
I have another idea for a Benchmark product. First, I understand the chances of these coming to market are slim...but this one has potential.

The idea is to make a miniature version of the DAC1 with internal batteries that could be charged via the USB connection, much like an iPod or Blackberry phone. I would also include a jack for an external Elpac-type power supply for long-term use.

Keep the head amp, but lose the XLR inputs and outputs.

I'd call this a "transportable" product that could work on a desktop, at home, or on the road. The new Lisa III head amp fits into this category.

If the output quality of the DAC1 could be maintained, this could be a killer product, as this plus a laptop would make a portable audiophile source. I have to imagine there's a market for this type of thing, given its versatility.

I've been thinking about this since often toss my DAC1 in my laptop bag. The DAC1 isn't a crippling burden, but it would be nice if it were a bit smaller, and you didn't have to carry a power cable.

What do you think?

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #780 of 3,058
Is there any sonic benefit in using XLR to RCA vs. just RCA out to a dedicated headphone amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back