Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
May 1, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #392 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elias,

I was wondering if you could comment on Benchmark's decision not to include a power switch on the DAC1 and if it is indeed recommended to leave the unit on 24/7.

Thanks!

Elias,

Would you mind commenting on the above?

May 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #395 of 3,058
Quote:

Ah, but not whether it is recommended to leave on 24/7.

It's rack equipment, which can take 24/7 operation. Recommendation doesn't mean much to me since the alternative is to pull the power manually.

I just wish the DAC1 would go into sleep mode when hooked up via USB. Unless you shut the host down, it's always up.

May 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #396 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmagnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's rack equipment, which can take 24/7 operation. Recommendation doesn't mean much to me since the alternative is to pull the power manually.

Yes, but the recommendation means something to me, which is why I am asking Elias. But I agree, of course, that the inference must be that as rack equipment without a power switch it is built to withstand 24/7 uptime. It would be nice to see this confirmed by Benchmark.

May 2, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #398 of 3,058
This might be a stupid question, but was my new DAC1 USB supposed to come with a power cord?

There was not one in the box but the letter from Allem Burdick that came with it (see image) stated; "Enclosed in the package is a power cord and a BNC to RCA adapter for the digital coaxial input". Mine came with the adapter, a USB cable, spare fuses and a couple of pin jumpers. Just looking for clarification here, thanks.

benchmarkletter.jpg

May 2, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #399 of 3,058
i have the dac1 classic plugged into the krell with the xlr's. i am using the front panel variable gain. the internal pads are at the 0db setting. the volume knob is half way(50%). it sounds the best this way and i do not seem to hear any distortion.

am i actually overloading the inputs on the amplifier this way and i am just not hearing it? or is this ok?

thanks,
music_man

May 2, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #400 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetlag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a stupid question, but was my new DAC1 USB supposed to come with a power cord?

There was not one in the box but the letter from Allem Burdick that came with it (see image) stated; "Enclosed in the package is a power cord and a BNC to RCA adapter for the digital coaxial input". Mine came with the adapter, a USB cable, spare fuses and a couple of pin jumpers. Just looking for clarification here, thanks.

benchmarkletter.jpg

Yes, you should have received a power cord. I received my DAC1 USB several weeks ago and it included the power cord plus everything else that you mentioned. Check your shipping box again - I seem to remember the power cord being stuffed down along one side near the bottom, but even if it's not there, I'm sure it was an oversight and Benchmark should be able to ship one out to you right away. Since it's a detachable cord, you should be able to substitute another power cord if you have one available for the interim.

May 2, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #401 of 3,058
Quote:

Ah, but not whether it is recommended to leave on 24/7.

Monkey,

The short answer to your question is: it doesn't matter either way. The DAC1's performance is not affected by the amount of time it has been powered. The DAC1 requires no "warm up" time.

Before I began working at Benchmark, I worked full-time as a recording engineer at a professional recording studio (Subcat Studios). I still work there for certain projects. We have a DAC1 from 2003, and, as long as I have worked there (+/- 3 years), I have never seen it powered-down. It sounds as good as new.

I own a very current DAC1 at my home, and I also never turn it off. However, when I first set up my home system (5-6 months ago), the DAC1 sounded just like the DAC1 - from the moment I powered it up. It hasn't changed a bit since.

The reason the DAC1 doesn't have a power switch is to prevent accidental/inopportune power-down when it is in a critical audio path. Many professional studios and broadcast facilities use the DAC1 in critical audio paths. In these settings, the DAC1 is powered and in-use 24/7, and the accidental (catastrophic!) power-down is eliminated by the lack of a power switch.

Thanks,
Elias

May 2, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #402 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by dip16amp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the "UltraLock" more than just "asynchronous upsampling" which some other DACs also have or is there something more to it than a "marketing tool" as mentioned in post #3 and #5 in thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235830

Just wanted to know if there is a difference.

Dip16amp,

There is, in fact, a lot of engineering that has gone into UltraLock - much more then adding a ASRC chip.

However, I'm going to let John Siau, the engineer who conceived and implemented this technology, to answer your question.

Thanks,
Elias

May 2, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #403 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetlag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

benchmarkletter.jpg

Jetlag,

The DAC1 USB absolutely should have came with a power cord. I apologize for this oversight. We can ship one to you immediately. Please PM your shipping info; also include the source where you ordered the DAC1 USB.

Fortunately and unfortunately, my co-workers in production are very human. So, if you don't mind, I'm gonna go jab them a bit about this and tell them that there are robots who are in line for their jobs who won't forget to add a power cord!
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks, and again, sorry about that!!
Elias

May 2, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #404 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the dac1 classic plugged into the krell with the xlr's. i am using the front panel variable gain. the internal pads are at the 0db setting. the volume knob is half way(50%). it sounds the best this way and i do not seem to hear any distortion.

am i actually overloading the inputs on the amplifier this way and i am just not hearing it? or is this ok?

thanks,
music_man

Music_man,

I looked up the specs on your Krell. However, they do not list a Max. Input level. You will have to call or email them to find out.

You'll need to know this: with 0 dBFS input, 0 dB output attenuation, and volume control at 12 o'clock, the DAC1 XLR outputs will be near 15 dBu. If you turn the volume control all the way up, the DAC1 will be near 28 dBu.

Therefore, if the Krell can handle a 15 dBu input (probably very close to its limit, based on the other specs I found), you should be ok.

Please let me know what you find...I'm curious...

Thanks,
Elias

May 2, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #405 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason the DAC1 doesn't have a power switch is to prevent accidental/inopportune power-down when it is in a critical audio path. Many professional studios and broadcast facilities use the DAC1 in critical audio paths. In these settings, the DAC1 is powered and in-use 24/7, and the accidental (catastrophic!) power-down is eliminated by the lack of a power switch.

Thanks,
Elias

Many thanks for your informative response Elias!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back