Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jan 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #1,246 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Even though I have just registered, I have been a long time lurker of this thread. Thank you for putting all your time to answering our questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

With the DAC1 PRE coming out, I just couldn't control myself any longer. Just placed an order for a DAC1 PRE yesterday. Hoping to get it by mid February, when it ships.
tongue.gif

Regarding the new DAC1 PRE, I have a couple of questions. I am not too technically proficient, so please bear it with me.

1) What is the DAC1 PRE's factory default gain setting for the headphone out? Currently I have a Sony MDR-SA5000 headphone. I think the impedance is somewhere in the 70 Ohms range. Do you think the default setting is optimal for use with this headphone? If not, what setting should I change it to?

2) I also have an Etymotic ER4S. I think the impedance on that one is around 100 Ohms. What gain setting should I use for this headphone?

3) If I change the default gain setting on the headphone out using the internal jumpers, would that change the gain setting on the audio out (those RCA jacks on the back) at the same time? Or would that not affect the gain setting of the audio out?

4) I looked at the PDF manual for the DAC1 USB version, and tried to understand how to work those jumpers. But I am really technically deficient.
redface.gif
I can't make out what is what. Is there a more detailed illustrated step by step instruction on how to set those jumpers?

5) Is there still a constant level audio out on the DAC1 PRE? I know on the previous versions there are both constant and variable level audio out, you just need to toggle that switch on the back. The picture of the back panel on your website is a bit fuzzy, the same toggle is still there, but I can't make out the markings.

And just a couple of suggestions for future improvements, if I may.

1) Can you include more than one set of analog in? This will make it more like a real preamp. Because I have a tape deck, and a tuner deck. I really don't want to constantly plug and unplug cables all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

2) About the face place... I am a fan of matched colors. I prefer the color of the volume knob match that of the color of the faceplate. So everything is either all black (or shades of black), or all silver (or shadese of silver). The DAC1 PRE has a black knob with a silver faceplate. I don't know, it's kind of ugly, if I may say so.
tongue.gif
Anyways, just a suggestion for future improvements. I decided to purchase one despite the color scheme, because I want the sound quality. But I would love it more if the color scheme were more consistent.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #1,247 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Poo,

I'm sorry we haven't finalized this yet... we've been crazy busy with NAMM and THE.

We will still honor this policy, and I promise to get the details together very soon.

Thanks for your patience,
Elias

No problem at all - still loving the DAC1 USB
biggrin.gif
Just wanted to be sure I didn't miss something!

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #1,248 of 3,058
Regarding the DAC1 PRE exchange program, we will be directly contacting customers who purchased a DAC1 and/or DAC1 USB between 12/04/07 and 1/04/07 AND registered the product with us. Please monitor your email in the next few days for correspondence regarding this. Please PM me with any questions or concerns directly relating to this.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #1,249 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by furball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Elias,

Even though I have just registered, I have been a long time lurker of this thread. Thank you for putting all your time to answering our questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

With the DAC1 PRE coming out, I just couldn't control myself any longer. Just placed an order for a DAC1 PRE yesterday. Hoping to get it by mid February, when it ships.
tongue.gif

Regarding the new DAC1 PRE, I have a couple of questions. I am not too technically proficient, so please bear it with me.

1) What is the DAC1 PRE's factory default gain setting for the headphone out? Currently I have a Sony MDR-SA5000 headphone. I think the impedance is somewhere in the 70 Ohms range. Do you think the default setting is optimal for use with this headphone? If not, what setting should I change it to?

2) I also have an Etymotic ER4S. I think the impedance on that one is around 100 Ohms. What gain setting should I use for this headphone?

3) If I change the default gain setting on the headphone out using the internal jumpers, would that change the gain setting on the audio out (those RCA jacks on the back) at the same time? Or would that not affect the gain setting of the audio out?

4) I looked at the PDF manual for the DAC1 USB version, and tried to understand how to work those jumpers. But I am really technically deficient.
redface.gif
I can't make out what is what. Is there a more detailed illustrated step by step instruction on how to set those jumpers?

5) Is there still a constant level audio out on the DAC1 PRE? I know on the previous versions there are both constant and variable level audio out, you just need to toggle that switch on the back. The picture of the back panel on your website is a bit fuzzy, the same toggle is still there, but I can't make out the markings.

1) Can you include more than one set of analog in? This will make it more like a real preamp. Because I have a tape deck, and a tuner deck. I really don't want to constantly plug and unplug cables all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

2) About the face place... I am a fan of matched colors. I prefer the color of the volume knob match that of the color of the faceplate. So everything is either all black (or shades of black), or all silver (or shadese of silver). The DAC1 PRE has a black knob with a silver faceplate. I don't know, it's kind of ugly, if I may say so.
tongue.gif
Anyways, just a suggestion for future improvements. I decided to purchase one despite the color scheme, because I want the sound quality. But I would love it more if the color scheme were more consistent.

Furball,

I haven't forgotten about you, but I don't have answers to all of your questions. I promise to let you know as soon as I have any information with regards to your questions.

Thanks,
Elias

Feb 1, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #1,250 of 3,058
Sorry, just a quick question. What does the latest version of the DAC1 USB uses for opamp? Does the opamp affect the XLR output connection?

Thanks!

One more question, when should one expect to see the DAC1 Pre available in stores locally here in Canada? I'd like to try it out as it looks like a mini-upgrade from the already praised DAC1 USB.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #1,251 of 3,058
Quote:

The factory default gain setting for the HPA2 headphone amp in the DAC1 PRE will be -20dB, or 20 dB below that of the HPA2 gain range of the classic DAC1.
The -20dB setting offers plenty of level, even for the Sennheiser 650's, even when listening to quiet passages in classical recordings. The Sony's you mentioned have a sensitivity of 102dB @ 1mW. The Etymotic ER4S have a sensitivity of 100 dB @ 1mW. ...both significantly more sensitive then the Sennheiser 650's (low 90's...give or take).

Quote:

The gain jumpers for the headphones do not affect the XLR or RCA outputs. Also, the attenuation jumpers for the XLR outputs do not affect the RCA outputs.

Quote:

redface.gif

We currently do not have more illustrations, but when you have the unit in front of you and take a look at the jumpers, hopefully it will be more obvious. If you have need any more assistance, simply call or email me....or contact me through this forum.

Quote:

Yes, the DAC1 PRE also has a "Calibrated" level output setting to maintain a constant gain setting.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

This would be a whole new product (....in a much bigger box too!!
tongue.gif
). When we design a product, we usually use customer suggestions to determine feature sets. The feedback from most of our customers was that more digital inputs were desired over more analog inputs to accommodate the constantly-growing digital media systems (Digital cable, digital satellite radio, digital TV, etc). Most of our customers don't have a need for more then one analog input. But, we appreciate your feedback, and will consider it when designing new products.

Quote:

tongue.gif

Haha.... Fair enough. I actually like the black-on-silver look...but its one of those things where you can't please everyone. Again, thanks for your suggestions. We will keep them in mind in the future...

Thanks,
Elias

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #1,252 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, just a quick question. What does the latest version of the DAC1 USB uses for opamp? Does the opamp affect the XLR output connection?

Thanks!

One more question, when should one expect to see the DAC1 Pre available in stores locally here in Canada? I'd like to try it out as it looks like a mini-upgrade from the already praised DAC1 USB.

The DAC1 USB uses the LM4562's for output drivers and 5532's everywhere else. They will have lower distortion and better high-freq response when the DAC1 is driving high capacitance and/or low impedance loads.

The DAC1 PRE will begin shipping mid-Febuary. The first batch is quickly selling out, so you may want to tell your local audio dealer to order soon.

Thanks,
Elias

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #1,253 of 3,058
Thank you Elias! You are the best!

Now, if I can just get my hands on that DAC PRE right now...
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't wait to play with it.
tongue.gif

About the headphone out gain setting. If the -20dB setting is more than enough to drive the HD650's, isn't that a little too high for the Sony and the Etymotic?

I had a Benchmark DAC1 from many moons ago (must be 3 years ago now), the headphone out was really loud. Using the Etymotic ER4S, I couldn't turn the volume past the first 2 clicks before getting painfully loud.

An even lower setting for more sensitive headphones would be really appreciated for future products.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #1,254 of 3,058
Quote:

About the headphone out gain setting. If the -20dB setting is more than enough to drive the HD650's, isn't that a little too high for the Sony and the Etymotic?

No, it should be fine. My point was that, even though the -20dB is the lowest setting, it was still enough for even the least sensitive. However, it didn't get too loud until almost at full volume. You should be able to get to 10-12 o'clock on the volume control with no problem, depending on the type of music and listening preference.

When you get your DAC1 PRE, please let me know how well the volume control works with your headphones. I'd be very interested...

Thanks,
Elias

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #1,255 of 3,058
I will definitely let you know. And thank you Elias for answering all my questions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

When you get your DAC1 PRE, please let me know how well the volume control works with your headphones. I'd be very interested...

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #1,256 of 3,058
Just a question for all of you, in case anyone knowledgeable could answer it:

Elias said that the "driver outputs" are the only spots where the oamps in the dac1 usb are lm4562, the rest are TI5532s.... what does "driver output" mean (what headphone output it applies to)?

Thanks for all the help

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #1,257 of 3,058
Sorry Elias it doesn't really help, I think I have to assume you don't understand what a HT bypass feature actually is? To make it clearer, most hi-end 2ch pre-amp manufactures incorporate a feature that directs the output 2ch L & R from an AV processor though the 2ch pre-amp input which has zero gain (ie. HT bypass), and allows the AV pre-amp to do volume control etc rather than the 2ch pre-amp. Basically a handy feature to have if your looking at a easy way to integrate a surround sound system with a dedicated 2ch system.

At this stage I assume it does not have the HT bypass feature on the analogue input which is a bit of a negative in terms of system integration. Looks like I will have to stick with another brand of dedicated 2ch pre-amp and use the benchmark mainly as a DAC and headphone amp.

ARE you able to answer my other question regarding the auto turn on feature or if it maintains its last state either on/off when power is applied to the Benchmark DAC 1 pre. this is also an important feature for system integration.

Are you going to have the manual up for the DAC 1 pre on your web site soon ?

Regards,

JDH.

Quote:

JDH,

The DAC1 PRE doesn't need an HT Bypass feature because it does not have a HT-mode to bypass.

Hope that helps...

Thanks,
Elias

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #1,258 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdh500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry Elias it doesn't really help, I think I have to assume you don't understand what a HT bypass feature actually is? To make it clearer, most hi-end 2ch pre-amp manufactures incorporate a feature that directs the output 2ch L & R from an AV processor though the 2ch pre-amp input which has zero gain (ie. HT bypass), and allows the AV pre-amp to do volume control etc rather than the 2ch pre-amp. Basically a handy feature to have if your looking at a easy way to integrate a surround sound system with a dedicated 2ch system.

At this stage I assume it does not have the HT bypass feature on the analogue input which is a bit of a negative in terms of system integration. Looks like I will have to stick with another brand of dedicated 2ch pre-amp and use the benchmark mainly as a DAC and headphone amp.

ARE you able to answer my other question regarding the auto turn on feature or if it maintains its last state either on/off when power is applied to the Benchmark DAC 1 pre. this is also an important feature for system integration.

Are you going to have the manual up for the DAC 1 pre on your web site soon ?

Regards,

JDH.

Can't you just use calibrated volume control?

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #1,259 of 3,058
If you want the AV receiver to do the volume control, then what is the point of hooking up that AV receiver to a preamp?

Your post is confusing.

What is the signal path?
1) From receiver to preamp to amp?
2) From preamp to receiver to amp?

If it is signal path #1 you are talking about, use the receiver's pre-out to connect to the preamp.

If it is signal path #2 you are talking about, DAC1 has a calibrated (fixed volume) audio out, which you can use to connect to the receiver's audio in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdh500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To make it clearer, most hi-end 2ch pre-amp manufactures incorporate a feature that directs the output 2ch L & R from an AV processor though the 2ch pre-amp input which has zero gain (ie. HT bypass), and allows the AV pre-amp to do volume control etc rather than the 2ch pre-amp. Basically a handy feature to have if your looking at a easy way to integrate a surround sound system with a dedicated 2ch system.

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #1,260 of 3,058
Quote:

If you want the AV receiver to do the volume control, then what is the point of hooking up that AV receiver to a preamp?

Your post is confusing.

What is the signal path?
1) From receiver to preamp to amp?
2) From preamp to receiver to amp?

If it is signal path #1 you are talking about, use the receiver's pre-out to connect to the preamp.

If it is signal path #2 you are talking about, DAC1 has a calibrated (fixed volume) audio out, which you can use to connect to the receiver's audio in.

Guys look into what HT bypass actually is first - it is a great feature used in many 2ch amps (Musical Fidelity A5 or A35 integrated for example).

The basic advantage is that the 2ch amp can drive the front speakers (as it usually would in a 2ch setup), meaning that the AV receiver doesn't have to, thereby better driving the center and surrounds.

I'm not sure of how much benefit you would gain by adding HT bypass to a device like the DAC1 PRE over a good quality HT receiver though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back