Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Sep 20, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #901 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FemXLRtoFemRCAAdaptorpbbigweb.jpg

Cardas, Tara Labs, and Neutrik make Female XLR to Female RCA adapters, Neutrik is least expensive by a long shot.

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/542
http://tara-direct.com/results.asp?ID=8
http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

thanks! i know that an adapter isn't ideal but i'll suck it and see for myself. currently, i am using only the RCA outs from the DAC1 into my Naim integrated amp with my headphone amp connected to the line out of the line stage. i would like to utilize the XLR out on the DAC1 to feed the signal directly to my headphone amp, bypassing the active line stage, hopefully yielding sonic gains.

PACE

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #902 of 3,058
Quote:

FemXLRtoFemRCAAdaptorpbbigweb.jpg

Cardas, Tara Labs, and Neutrik make Female XLR to Female RCA adapters, Neutrik is least expensive by a long shot.

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/542
http://tara-direct.com/results.asp?ID=8
http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

It is important to make sure these adapters have pin 3 floating (not connected). If pin 3 is connected to ground (as is the case with many of these adapters), you can shorten the life of the output driver, possibly ruining it.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #903 of 3,058
Elias, I'm starting to quantize what level settings work on my DAC1s. So far, I've checked the "classic" model, and for a fairly loud song with Sennheiser HD25s I'm up four detents from off. I plan to check the same song with the same cans on the USB version, but I'm wondering if the level comparison will be accurate because the classic DAC1 is being driven by a Squeezebox, with its own level control. I have that turned up all the way, but don't know how that matches the USB output.

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #904 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elias, I'm starting to quantize what level settings work on my DAC1s. So far, I've checked the "classic" model, and for a fairly loud song with Sennheiser HD25s I'm up four detents from off. I plan to check the same song with the same cans on the USB version, but I'm wondering if the level comparison will be accurate because the classic DAC1 is being driven by a Squeezebox, with its own level control. I have that turned up all the way, but don't know how that matches the USB output.

It's SPDIF, right? As long as there is no funny stuff going no (such as ReplayGain), the digital signal from a SqueezeBox or any soundcard is nominally the same (of course, jitter may be different). The levels will be the same, so don't worry.

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #905 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They should be matched, but I can't say for sure. But, go ahead and test like this, and we'll go with it.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #906 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should be matched, but I can't say for sure. But, go ahead and test like this, and we'll go with it.

Thanks,
Elias

Elias is there a standard for sources to send the same level digital signal? can i assume my soundcard is outputting optical at the same level my CD player sends Coaxial?

also regarding the adapters, i have only owned the Tara Labs and i know they can be disassembled and unsoldered to float pin 3, the Cardas will probibly have to be cut open which will damage the special Cardas heatshink and i have no idea about the Neutrik.

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #907 of 3,058
Quote:

Elias is there a standard for sources to send the same level digital signal? can i assume my soundcard is outputting optical at the same level my CD player sends Coaxial?

also regarding the adapters, i have only owned the Tara Labs and i know they can be disassembled and unsoldered to float pin 3, the Cardas will probibly have to be cut open which will damage the special Cardas heatshink and i have no idea about the Neutrik.

I guess you didn't read my message. SPDIF is a standard for sending digital audio data. It should be the same no matter your source. The signal can be sent optically (toslink) or electrically (coaxial). Unless you have applied gain to your original source files, there will be no difference. The Benchmark guy should know this stuff already.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #908 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you didn't read my message. SPDIF is a standard for sending digital audio data. It should be the same no matter your source. The signal can be sent optically (toslink) or electrically (coaxial). Unless you have applied gain to your original source files, there will be no difference. The Benchmark guy should know this stuff already.

cool i did overlook your post, i knew S/PDIF is the standard but i wasnt sure what is actually standarized and dont understand how light pulse is measured in volts to be compared and matched to coax output level.

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #909 of 3,058
Quote:

cool i did overlook your post, i knew S/PDIF is the standard but i wasnt sure what is actually standarized and dont understand how light pulse is measured in volts to be compared and matched to coax output level.

The voltage level and optical intensities of the different transmission mediums may be different from one another, but this doesn't relate to a difference in audio amplitude. If all the 1's and 0's are the same, a 5V digital signal will produce the same audio as a 3.3V digital signal.

Specifically, S/PDIF is standardized to transmit at 0.5 Vp-p, AES3id (AES over coaxial) is standardized to transmit at 1.0 Vp-p, and AES3 (AES over balanced cable) is standardized to transmit at 2-7 Vp-p.

But all three will produce the same audio qualities if all the 1's and 0's are the same (assuming proper reception and conversion).

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #910 of 3,058
I just got my dac1 usb this morning and it sounds amazing. I tried using the optical input and now i'm playing around with the usb. One thing I noticed is the popping sound when playing flac in foobar.

Here's my setting in foobar (under preference):
Playback volume: max
source mode: none
processing: none
preamp: 0 db
Output: DS: Benchmark 1.0 (selected)
Buffer length: 1500 ms
Output data format: 24bit

Is the optimal settings in foobar? How do I fix the 'popping' sounds while playing audio via usb? Thanks in advance and appreacite any help on this.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #911 of 3,058
46 pages not a real comparison between old DAC1, new DAC1, Stello 220, Lavry, Transporter, or any other well-known CD player.

is DAC 1 so bad that no one wants to talk about 'how it sounds'?

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #912 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
46 pages not a real comparison between old DAC1, new DAC1, Stello 220, Lavry, Transporter, or any other well-known CD player.

is DAC 1 so bad that no one wants to talk about 'how it sounds'?

Don't interrupt the infomercial.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #913 of 3,058
I agree - it would be great to get some impressions of the sound. Many of us don't have the ability to hear the Dac1 ourselves (without buying one first), so any descriptions are helpful, especially comparative descriptions that offer context.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #914 of 3,058
listening to FLAC or CD on my computer Chaintech AV710 outputting optical to DAC1 the headphone amp is 200% better than i expected based on impressions that i have read, i will not be buying another headphone amp for this i will upgrade to the USB instead to get the added volume range and hopefully a mod in the future. its not harsh or thin or sucked out or basically anything, its clean, decay lasts forever its really digging detail deep in the recording. if you want euphoric look elsewhere.

when it comes down to the form factor and function the Benchmark does what i need. i am using the volume controlled headphone amp for my computer and i am running the RCA out to tripath amp to drive bookshelves for my computer. then using calibrated XLR with 20db attenutation to connect balanced to Headamp GS-X in another room which preamps my main sytem, no splitters or adapters all i need to do it disconnect the balanced cables from my Meridian G08 and plug in the balanced runs from the DAC1, if the GS-X had 2 balanced inputs like the Apache i wouldnt need to disconnect anything just change inputs. i bought the black DAC1 with newer non-rackmount faceplate, it looks 4x nicer than that the Lavry "cablebox" and is 4x smaller than the Stello DA220, with more functionality than both.
cool.gif

this "infomerical" is called manufacturer support and i am surprised Benchmark has been so open about their engineering. go back and reread the first few pages badmouthing the USB untill Elias registered and defended the design, it didnt start as a nice thread but eventually the haters shut up, IMHO there is nothing not to like about this unit except the high volume level on the headphone amp.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #915 of 3,058
It sounds very good. Plus this isn't a comparison thread, now is it? Those interested in comparisons can do a search as there are several threads comparing the Benchmark to other dacs. And if that doesn't sufficiently float your boat, there's always the option of starting a new thread requesting the Benchmark vs the dac of your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back