Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Apr 17, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #332 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright. If that's the case: That reviewer really seemed pretty enthusiastic about defaulting everything to 0dB for optimal results. Would it be better and/or should I make that request to have a DAC1 adjusted accordingly should I place an order for one?

Don't let the article worry you. You can easily pull the jumpers and set them properly. The case has somewhat tricky (read: shallow) screws, so make sure you use a really flat-headed driver. If you have a pair of needle-nosed pliers or long forceps it's no problem. Please unplug before servicing, wouldn't want a fried head-fier.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #333 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok Head-Fi-ers, I'm gonna give you guys a special sneak preview of something I've been working on for a while.

This hasn't been announced yet, but I'll let you all know about it. I'd love to have some feedback on it if you have any.

http://www.BenchmarkMedia.com/wiki

Thanks,
Elias

Elias,

This is simply GREAT! Not only is it informative, but also reflect how Benchmark has its customers in mind. I have been using OS X for years and do not know there is an Audio MIDI app. Thanks.

I am sure we fellow DAC1 USB owners will be grateful for this.

Again, A BIG thank you.

Francis
Proud Owner of DAC1 USB from Hong Kong

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #334 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmagnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't let the article worry you. You can easily pull the jumpers and set them properly. The case has somewhat tricky (read: shallow) screws, so make sure you use a really flat-headed driver. If you have a pair of needle-nosed pliers or long forceps it's no problem. Please unplug before servicing, wouldn't want a fried head-fier.

^^ If I cross that bridge, I most certainly wouldn't have it plugged in.
eek.gif
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #336 of 3,058
Quote:

Ok Head-Fi-ers, I'm gonna give you guys a special sneak preview of something I've been working on for a while.

This hasn't been announced yet, but I'll let you all know about it. I'd love to have some feedback on it if you have any.

Thanks,
Elias

This is great!
You guys are doing a great service to the community by assisting in getting the best from digital systems regardless of make with this info and I thank you. Your in-depth discussions and explanations are really helping to lift the fog on the varied and confusing issues surrounding computer based output. I've learned a lot from this thread. This is the kind of thing that breeds brand loyalty.
cool.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #337 of 3,058
Quote:

Very informative! Definitely a great concept. I hope you keep going forward with that project.
smily_headphones1.gif

^^

^^

Alright. If that's the case: That reviewer really seemed pretty enthusiastic about defaulting everything to 0dB for optimal results. Would it be better and/or should I make that request to have a DAC1 adjusted accordingly should I place an order for one?

I'm just looking for some clarification/elaboration on that whole issue. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd let them do it..

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #339 of 3,058
Quote:

Thanks,
Elias

In the guide it says to "This applies to digital volume controls in media players, Windows Volume Control, or any others." Is the Windows Volume Control you are refering to the volume control here? Start > Control panel > sounds and audio devices > device volume. Mine is set at 50%, should I change this to 100%?

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #340 of 3,058
Thanks for the info Elias.

Regarding the setup for Foobar, do i need to disable the crossfeed plugin too in the DSP section.

I kinda prefer the crossfeed for some albums, given the HD580s enormous soundstage.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #341 of 3,058
Quote:

Thanks,
Elias

Interesting article. A couple of questions:

1. Winamp is the only player where you specifically state it will play "bit-transparently." Does it mean foobar, iTunes, WMP will not play bit-perfectly? (even with ASIO plugins?)

2. Do all the comments pertain to only when you use Benchmark DAC-1 USB via the USB input or all DAC's/soundcards w/ USB/spdif?

3. The only player you mention as not having "high-distortion" digital volume control is WMP. Could you tell us what numbers are being measured and how, and especially at how much attenuation levels (-3 dB? -30 dB?). Were you able to subjectively correlate listening impressions of distortions caused by volume control by ear?

TIA

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #342 of 3,058
I guess some of you haven't used a wiki before. Create an account on the wiki and login. Go to the page that you want clarification on and hit the 'discussion' tab at the top, then the edit tab. Type in your question. Someone will eventually answer it there or on the main page.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #343 of 3,058
Quote:

Very informative! Definitely a great concept. I hope you keep going forward with that project.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just looking for some clarification/elaboration on that whole issue. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

The output attenuators do not affect the performance of the output stage whatsoever (according to our testing and our ears!). I run my DAC1 in my recording studio at the -20 dB level because it allows me to run the volume pot into its most optimal range (>10 o'clock).

Now, it should be said that certain equipment (of questionable design) being driven by the classic DAC1 may be affected by the increase in source impedance that the attenuators present. A well designed device (high input impedance, low input capacitance) will not have any performance comprise when using the attenuators. The attenuators would only affect the sound quality if the equipment that was being driven by the DAC1 had low input impedance or high input capacitance, or if the DAC1 was driving a long cable.

Unfortunately, some "audiophile" gear has poorly designed input stages with much too low impedance or large noise-draining capacitors which can affect frequency response drastically. In those cases, the source impedance should be as low as possible. I don't know what this reviewer was using as a pre and/or amplifier, so I can't comment on the validity of his experience. But if the device being driven is designed properly, the attenuators will have no affect on the audio whatsoever.

The DAC1 USB, however, relieves this problem altogether with the new high-current output drivers. These new drivers will drive even the most difficult loads at any attenuator setting with out any performance comprimises.

Thanks,
Elias

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #344 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the guide it says to "This applies to digital volume controls in media players, Windows Volume Control, or any others." Is the Windows Volume Control you are refering to the volume control here? Start > Control panel > sounds and audio devices > device volume. Mine is set at 50%, should I change this to 100%?

This is a good question, and one that I get a lot. This is very important point:

NOT ALL DIGITAL VOLUME CONTROLS ARE BUILT EQUALLY!!!

Some (most) volume controls on media software induces A LOT of distortion (see the pictures on the iTunes page of the wiki). That is why I say, by default, assume a digital volume control is causing distortion.

However, the Windows volume control mixer is actually built very well. It causes very, very little distortion, and the user should not be discouraged from using it.

Personally, I leave it all the way up and use the DAC1's volume control pot. But, if you need computer-accessible volume control, the Windows volume mixer is the way to go (for Windows users). Also, if you are barely getting the DAC1 volume pot up before it is too loud, it is a good idea to use this to attenuate the signal before streaming to the DAC1 in order to allow you to crank the volume pot a bit more. Ideally, the volume pot should be set at or beyond 10 o'clock.

Thanks,
Elias

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #345 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info Elias.

Regarding the setup for Foobar, do i need to disable the crossfeed plugin too in the DSP section.

I kinda prefer the crossfeed for some albums, given the HD580s enormous soundstage.

This brings up an interesting point.

There are some settings which users prefer, and we wouldn't want to discourage anything which makes the listening experience more pleasurable (as long as its legal
wink.gif
!!)

The recommendations on the Benchmark Wiki are those required for bit-transparent playback (or as close as can be possibly attained).

Thanks,
Elias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back