Benchmark DAC1 > Darkvoice 332 > Sennheiser HD 650 - good combination?
Jan 24, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #31 of 45
Would the 332 make the already laid back sound of the 650... too warm? Or will it help bring out details and background color? I guess that's a general comparison between tube vs SS.

Isn't the 332 the least "tubey" amp that darkvoice has compared to their own amps?

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the 332 make the already laid back sound of the 650... too warm? Or will it help bring out details and background color? I guess that's a general comparison between tube vs SS.

Isn't the 332 the least "tubey" amp that darkvoice has compared to their own amps?

No... that's why it's so good with the HD650s - because it is not as warm and "tubey" as many other tube amps. It doesn't have a very "laid-back" sound. However, that's also why it might not be as good with brighter phones.

Read all of the comments about how it complements the HD650s - it transforms them into great phones.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Im pretty impressed with you guys. Maybe you can help me. Its the first time that I read the 332 is neutral - I thought its a very good match for the bright AKG701. Basically I am searching (with a limit of 400USD) for the best tube amp for the K701 - the warmer the better I think. Thanks!

Check with someone who has both... but... from what I've heard about the 701s, the DV332 may be too neutral, or bright, to be a good match with them. I'd probably look for a warmer sounding amp for those phones... unless you like a fairly bright sound.

You might want to consider the DV336, or DV337, or a Singlepower (MPX3) with the 701s.

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #34 of 45
How does the make an offer function on ebay work? Say I want to make an offer for 400$ including shipping for the 332, how would I go about doing that?

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svirre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the make an offer function on ebay work? Say I want to make an offer for 400$ including shipping for the 332, how would I go about doing that?

Find a vendor, which offers the DV332 - Jasmine, or Casque (not 3c-Store), and send them a question - stating what you'll offer them - say... $380, and then settle for $400 (which includes shipping).

I bought mine for $390. But, that was 6 months ago. Prices / costs may have increased a bit since then.

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #36 of 45
I'm curious whether the DV332 price would be LOWER now or soon -- with the imminent release of the DV3322.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #37 of 45
It's difficult to say, until the pricing of the new units is announced.

If it's greater, then there may be little impact on the price of the current models.

On the other hand, if the demand for the new units is great, or the price is not much greater... current owners may be willing to take a bit less for their current units to buy the new units.

I can tell you that if the price of the new DV337, or DV332 is substantially greater... as was suggested elsewhere here... the demand is unlikely to be very great... and the value of the current units could actually increase... if they're no longer offered by DV.

I doubt very much that many persons will pay a price premium for products that must be shipped half way around the globe, with all that risk that involves - when they can buy one of the great amps here at similar prices, from reliable vendors. It would make no sense.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #39 of 45
I have the question simillar to OP. I want to built my rig around the Pico DAC and my primary cans are HD650 and Denon D2000.

Please, recommend $700 or less tube amp which will match all of these gear and still keep this lush "tubey" sound.

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #40 of 45
As great as the HD650s sound with the DV332, and my sources (tube DACS) - if I were going to invest $700 (or a little less) - it would be in the DV337 - no question.

There may be more "tubey" sounding amps, but few "better" sounding amps.

If I didn't already have the DV332 - which is really awesome with the HD650s (or any of my other phones) - I'd already have a DV337.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As great as the HD650s sound with the DV332, and my sources (tube DACS) - if I were going to invest $700 (or a little less) - it would be in the DV337 - no question.

There may be more "tubey" sounding amps, but few "better" sounding amps.

If I didn't already have the DV332 - which is really awesome with the HD650s (or any of my other phones) - I'd already have a DV337.

A big X2 from hearing the 337 hd650 combo!

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiorapture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan2; I noticed you have a lot of great stuff, but what music do you use to compair with, and which particular disc or artist, thanks as I enjoy your posts

I use a variety of music - R&B, Jazz, Light Classical, Country, Rock...

I prefer "acoustical" sound to "electronic."

And... I usually pick out a few things like "Clapton - Unplugged (which is truly awesome with D5000s)," "Willie Nelson - Stardust," and "Gerald Albright - The Very Best Of" to test equipment. Lots of detail, PRAT, etc.

I play short pieces of such recordings over, and over, comparing two components over and over. Playing longer pieces allows your hearing / brain to adjust too much to accomodate the different sound from another component - masking the differences between components. I want quick, sudden contrasts to really compare components.

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #44 of 45
Having owned a DAC1 and my experience with it is that you definitely don't want to pair it up with a to cold or analytical amp. When listening to headphones you should know that pairing headphones with the right amps and sources are more important then in a speaker system, having the cans so close to your ears... Your liable to be much more judgemental then with a speaker rig.

I ended up selling DAC1 because I thought it was too limited to which equipment it really sounded good with. In the end you just want to listen to the music and have fun while your doing it.. The price and what others think of it has no meaning at all. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I really do hope that the DV332 will match up in your system and that you enjoy it as much as possible.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned a DAC1 and my experience with it is that you definitely don't want to pair it up with a to cold or analytical amp. When listening to headphones you should know that pairing headphones with the right amps and sources are more important then in a speaker system, having the cans so close to your ears... Your liable to be much more judgemental then with a speaker rig.

Ditto... system matching is paramount!

I've not heard the DAC1 - but, I would think it would help add detail and clarity to the DV332 - though it really doesn't need much added. But... it is possible that it might make it too lean and analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back