Benchmark DAC1 > Darkvoice 332 > Sennheiser HD 650 - good combination?
Jan 15, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you already have the DAC-1? Shouldn't you build your rig around your headphones, opposed to your source?

This is a good question and, while I'm still on the learning curve and very new, how does one know what a headphone sounds like if there is a horrible source? I've read in many a post that some believe the biggest gains come from source upgrade then headphone then amp then cables...just some thoughts....I haven't zeroed in on it myself....I have just ordered a Benchmark DAC1 USB though and look forward to lossless playback via the usb bus to the dac1.....I've read that I may be in for a treat.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #17 of 45
There's no point having fantastic cans with a crappy source, but no point in having a great source with crummy cans either. A headphone rig, like many things, is only as good as its weakest component.

Starting with a good source gives you a good foundation on which to build a rig.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #18 of 45
I am just going to join the 'balance that 650' club. The improvements are neough to warrant choosing balanced cables straight out of the back of the DAC1 instead of using the 332. You can use the rca outputs for your stereo (unless your stereo is so insane it would want some balanced too >.<).

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #19 of 45
Stereo: 12.000$ - Headphones: 400$

Who would you give the best outputs to?
wink.gif

If I bought a headphone amp with a balanced output and connected that to the DAC1 via the rca outputs, would that do the trick?

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #20 of 45
just get the Singlepower SDS-XLR, hook her up to that DAC1, plug in your 650's and never look back! I will concur with gradofan about the darkvoice 332 being analytical. I actuallly sold mine for that exact reason. But the 336i, using RCA tubes has a more lush sound, and its also cheaper, might be worth looking into.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #22 of 45
I own the DAC1 and AKG 701, Beyer DT880 ('03 version) and DT990 ('05 version).

Using the DAC1's internal amp, I like them all, but with the DT990 I haven't felt the need to experiment with a separate amp. (Provides much the same "thrill" as listening to Quad 988 speakers which I've had on long term loan.)

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svirre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereo: 12.000$ - Headphones: 400$

Who would you give the best outputs to?
wink.gif

If I bought a headphone amp with a balanced output and connected that to the DAC1 via the rca outputs, would that do the trick?

Hehe ya, I also pile balanced outs into my stereo...but then I don't rely on HD650 as my headphones so balancing is not so critical...

Here is a nice amp that will suck out 99% of benefits of balancing of HD650 and uses rca inputs only: 6moons audio reviews: Dared VP-20

For the record, yes I heard this thing, and its a tad on the expensive side ($700ish) comparing to Darkvoice 332, let alone being intended for headphone amp use...but sure as hell it works well with the HD650.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #24 of 45
Holy moly, this thread is confusing! I wish someone would just say "Benchmark DAC1 > Darkvoice 332 > Sennheiser HD 650 - YES, that is the best combination you can get! Go for it!"
biggrin.gif

700$ is a bit over my budget. Originally I wasn't planning on buying an amplifier at all, but that changed rather quick, hehe. Love the look of it though. How exactly would I go about using the Dared VP-20 as a headphone amp? Connect it to the DAC1 via the rca-outputs and rewire the HD 650 with rca-connecters for it being able to connect to the VP-20?

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Holy moly, this thread is confusing! I wish someone would just say "Benchmark DAC1 > Darkvoice 332 > Sennheiser HD 650 - YES, that is the best combination you can get! Go for it!"
biggrin.gif

700$ is a bit over my budget. Originally I wasn't planning on buying an amplifier at all, but that changed rather quick, hehe. Love the look of it though. How exactly would I go about using the Dared VP-20 as a headphone amp? Connect it to the DAC1 via the rca-outputs and rewire the HD 650 with rca-connecters for it being able to connect to the VP-20?

short answer. your proposed setup will sound great. whether it's ideal for everyone here. obviously it's not. is it worth the $700 or so you're going to lay down. oh hell yeah.

go for it. it's easier to listen and figure out what YOU like and don't like than it is to try to make sense of all our varied opinions. it's also easier for you to find people with similar opinions once you buy into it and tell us what it sounds like to you and what you want to change.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Basically rewire the HD650 cable with any form of 4-wire adapters (4 banana plugs would work great). In the setup I got to play with we used a 4-pin xlr hd650 cable + 4-pin xlr to speaker termination adapter. DAC1 would be connected via RCA outputs.

Darkvoice 332 is a great amp, I would honestly not bring the balancing up so much if I didn't think the difference it made was just too good to pass-up if using HD650.

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go for it. it's easier to listen and figure out what YOU like and don't like than it is to try to make sense of all our varied opinions. it's also easier for you to find people with similar opinions once you buy into it and tell us what it sounds like to you and what you want to change.

Good point! I think I will go for the setup in my original plan. It's within my budget and hopefully I will be happy with it.

Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate it! At least if I don't like the sound of this combination, I will know my many options.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #29 of 45
I'll probably order from Jasmine yeah. She was mentioned many times in the DV332 thread as well, seems to be service minded and trustworthy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube rolling doesn't seem to warm the sound of the DV332 much - which is why its great with HD650s. But, it can be a bit too cold - if you're looking for a bit of a "tubey," warm, lush sound - especially with a SS DAC, regarded as a bit cold and analytical, anyway. Personally... I'd likely opt for a Singlepower, or another amp, with a bit warmer sound with a SS DAC. Or... you might try the Yaqin Tube Buffer from Pacific Valve to warm the sound a bit.

Hi, Im pretty impressed with you guys. Maybe you can help me. Its the first time that I read the 332 is neutral - I thought its a very good match for the bright AKG701. Basically I am searching (with a limit of 400USD) for the best tube amp for the K701 - the warmer the better I think. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back