Benchmark DAC1 as a headphone amp: Initial thoughts.
Jul 30, 2004 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all

I received the DAC1 today and happily went throught the entrire manual before plugging it in
I have since listened to the HP amp out for about 5 hours now and I must say it is impressive.
It has the most superalative DAC component I have heard for any price under $3000. I have had the oppurtunity of listening to both the Meridian 588 and the Wadia 302. The DAC1 is a better source than either for my purposes of listening i.e a clear, detailed and musical sound that doesnot compromise at any level.
As far as DAC's are concerned, I have had the good fortune of listening to a Mark Levinson 30.6 based system in a studio.The Benchmark is an equally classy component and it brings out so much detail, one can easily tell the difference between MPC , High class MP3's and the wav/FLAC encoded files.
I did not imagine such a thing to be possible with a component at this price range.
So to speak this is one fine DAC and a very worthy headphone amp. anyone out there who is looking into getting a high end setup based around a good source with a decent amp then this is it.
Frankly the headphone section is better than the MF XCans V3.
I am of course saying that in terms of how i prefer presentation on an amp.
It is very resolving, clear and totally hiss free through my MSP's
I have also noticed that the volume pot is a very smooth but has distinct clicks which are felt rather than heard.
Overall a quality component which is an incredible DAC with a very good HP amp on it.
For someone looking for a minimalistic setup based on a single component there is nothing better than the DAC1 for the price.

On the side I have tried it for 2 hours through my headphone amp as well.
Frankly the Talisman Audio needs more exposure here cos it is one fine amp and IMO it is the best bang for buck amp out there bar none.
I have heard it against the Bijou Headmaster and it holds its own.
Having read opinions that the HR-2 and the Grace 901 are say a notch above the DAC1 in terms of presentation, I will say that the Talisman T-3H deserves to be put in the same league/ higher.

I will update this thread as i hear more and more from my music collection.

The DAC1 is definitely the Budget Source component of the century.

In one word, Incredible.
I hope more and more people have the chance to listen to it. It truly is wonderful.

cheers
Kunwar

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 58
i agree the benchmark dac is an amazing source+amp combo. the amp section is only a bit worse than my xp-7, but hey everyone buys the dac as a 'source', the amp part is just a bonus. i can live without my xp-7 and use the benchmark amp instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 58
Nice review Kunward. It's good to hear from someone who have actually heard the Wadia and the Meridian.

Now if only someone would do a real comparison between the Benchmark and the 1212m
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Please do Tiberian. Looking forward to reading it.

i will try my best...i guess lojay is going to write about them too. afterall they are head-fi's FOTMs haha.

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 58
Some people say the Benchmark is bright, fatiguing. I wouldn't say it is the case. I think people are used to hearing sources that butter over the details.

I for one really like the details Benchmark brings out.

On my speaker system, the Benchmark also gives me more bass and more coherent bass. Whereas before I wanted to purchase a sub. But after the Benchmark purchase, I am having second thoughts. Although a sub would still be nice, but I think I live with the amount of bass and tighter bass the Benchmark gives me.

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Some people say the Benchmark is bright, fatiguing. I wouldn't say it is the case. I think people are used to sources that butter over the details.

I for one really like the details Benchmark brings out.

On my speaker system, the Benchmark also gives me more bass and more coherent bass. Whereas before I wanted to purchase a sub. But after the Benchmark purchase, I am having second thoughts. Although a sub would still be nice, but I think I live with the amount of bass and tighter bass the Benchmark gives me.

i guess its more about the headphones...when i use my etys, the highs are kinda piercing to the point i can't turn the dac to the volume i used to. adding the xp-7 doesn't help much.

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Some people say the Benchmark is bright, fatiguing. I wouldn't say it is the case. I think people are used to hearing sources that butter over the details.

I completely agree with you in this regard. However, what makes you say that my DAC1/soundcard shootout wasn't "real?"

Kunwar, glad to hear you like it so much, it only confirms my feelings about this great component, expecially since I got my super-synergous DT770's yesterday
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
Having read opinions that the HR-2 and the Grace 901 are say a notch above the DAC1 in terms of presentation, I will say that the Talisman T-3H deserves to be put in the same league/ higher.

I wholeheartedly second your opinion about the T-3H amp. I have auditioned a few amps, but the T-3H is the first "serious" one I have owned. I am absolutely blown away! The clarity and authority of the sound is astounding! The bass on the K-501s came out quite a bit. The HD280s really opened up, especially in the highs, while the nice controlled bass gained a lot of depth.

I was able to get the T-3H for about $450 (USD) and I definitely don't regret it. It sounds incredible and looks very very cool. I don't think I will ever need another solid state amp, ever. I am definitely going to enjoy getting a nice pair of headphones ~ something in the HD650/CD3000/RS1 class
biggrin.gif

-kaitsuburi

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 58
Don't the manufacturers cripple the digital out for high resolution formats? If not crippled, at least reduced in resolution.

You are better off using the analog out on your DVD player if you are playing DVD-A or SACD.

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 58
For high resolution formats, manufacturers decrease the resolution of the digital out, as well as increase the signal to noise ratio. As a result, you are missing a lot of what is happening in your music.

It's like you are reading this thread, but some posts on this thread are blocked out.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back