Benchmark DAC1 as a headphone amp: Initial thoughts.
Sep 2, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #46 of 58
Am I the only one who thinks the DAC1's headphone out might be better than the T-3H?

peacesign.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Am I the only one who thinks the DAC1's headphone out might be better than the T-3H?

peacesign.gif

Have you listened to both of them?

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Where's the best place to buy the Dac1 new?

And what's the best digital input to use - optical or xlr?

Sweetwater music in Indiana will sell the Benchmark DAC1 (new version) for less than MSRP; you have to call them and talk to a sales rep and haggle a bit, but it's worth it.

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Aren't we all
biggrin.gif

Or else we'd be doing something normal, like not spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars in gear and hours in a forum filled with other insane people.

So true! My wife thinks I am a total dork. And as for the concept of a Head-Fi meet...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Have you listened to both of them?

I've heard Kurt's DAC1 at our minimeet and was heavily impressed by its sound, also by its headphone out which hasn't got so much praises here. And I was slightly disappointed by the T-3H then, also and especially compared to my other amps. I have a T-3H myself since today and am burning it in.

peacesign.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Where's the best place to buy the Dac1 new?

And what's the best digital input to use - optical or xlr?

I actually got a quote back from a dealer for $914 including shipping which is a super deal but I had just bought one used. I just looked through my email and I think I deleted it and I don't remember which place it was
frown.gif
. I just emailed a bunch of the placed benchmark lists as dealers though so maybe try that.

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
You're on crack.

yep I am I guess.
i guess my ears are busted and my brains are fragged
Hey what can I do if the dac1 sounded better to me.
I can't help it.
If you wish to spend more money please do so I have no problems with that.

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Indeed. I was just desperately hoping that you'd somehow say that the DAC1's amp was comparable to the Talisman, saving me from the temptation of getting a Talisman if I do get the DAC1 eventually...
biggrin.gif

Zoide if that were the case, I would have mentioned it here already.
The talisman is just more refined, more control and more fun.
I don't know why but it tames the DAC1 when the DAC1 runs away sometimes with the fun in some of the electronica passages.

BTW anyone who is satisfied with the DAC1 headphone map section, I wouldn't be surprised, It is monitor grade. Of course with the kickass dac section behind it, I t should do well.
As i said before, Unless you have listened to the Talisman for a while pointing out differences would be hard
Hell pointing out differences between the Perreaux and Talisman can be hard with people chattering around you.
You need peace, quiet and a dark room which is how my listening happens.

Take care
Kunwar

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
yep I am I guess.
i guess my ears are busted and my brains are fragged
Hey what can I do if the dac1 sounded better to me.
I can't help it.
If you wish to spend more money please do so I have no problems with that.

Hey man, you're entitled to your opinion.
biggrin.gif

But I'm scratching my head wondering how you.....oh never mind.

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I've heard Kurt's DAC1 at our minimeet and was heavily impressed by its sound, also by its headphone out which hasn't got so much praises here. And I was slightly disappointed by the T-3H then, also and especially compared to my other amps. I have a T-3H myself since today and am burning it in.

peacesign.gif

hey JaZZ, let us know what you think. I've always found your posts to be very informative and entertaining
600smile.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #57 of 58
It's not a too bad match. But too early to post impressions (although the sonic characteristics begin to show quite distinctly), since the manufacturer sais it needs some time to sound at its best and my previous experiences tell me the same. I will write a comparative review soon.

peacesign.gif

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #58 of 58
Yeah it's utterly fantastic and the design allows it to drive any type of headphone with running into problems due to weird impedance vs. frequency curves, it just drives every type of head phone naturally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back