Benchmark DAC1 as a headphone amp: Initial thoughts.
Aug 1, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
I want to just clarify that the headphone am on the Benchmark DAC1 is no minnow, most people who have not had the chance to hear better amps will not feel the urge to upgrade to an amp.
it is very clean, clear and detailed.
Totally hiss free and very well put together.
If it was a separate unit then with RCA connectors, separate case, power supply etc. It would be worthy of a $400 price tag atleast.

hi there kunwar, could you perhaps list any other ss amps you have tried out that you felt were inferior to the dac1's inbuilt amp?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #32 of 58
I have heard the Sugden Headmaster, Grace 901, the Cmoy and the Mint.
The Talisman is still the finest.
There might be others which i might have forgotten just because I don't remember every electronic component I have listened to in my life.

EDIT: I forgot to add the Perreaux 0.5 version which I have heard as well.

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #33 of 58
kunwar:

But as adhoc asked, which of those have you felt were inferior to the DAC1's inbuilt amp?

Sep 2, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #34 of 58
In repsonse to zoide's question,
tghe amps I found clearly inferior were
cmoy, mint, MF XCans V3

Inferior or equal - Perreaux 0.5, Grace 901

Better - Sugden Headmaster

Sep 2, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Inferior or equal - Perreaux 0.5, Grace 901

Ooohhh.... I like that
biggrin.gif

What about the Talisman? How does it rate vs. the DAC1 amp?

Sep 2, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Ooohhh.... I like that
biggrin.gif

What about the Talisman? How does it rate vs. the DAC1 amp?

The Talisman easily gives the Sugden a run for its money anyday.
The Sugden definitely has hints of better staging for symphonies but not noticeable unless you know what to look for.
After listening to the Talisman I had this idea that a more expensive amp would probably sound better.
Turns out I was wrong.
The talisman delivered on all the criteria I wanted, It is frankly a super amp for a bargain price.
Well put together, I would not be tempted to upgrade to the HEadmaster unless someone gave it to me for free..anyone??
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

You couldn't go wrong with it.
By now you must have read all the comments in the Talisman thread so you know what can be expected of the Talisman range so to speak

Sep 2, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

You couldn't go wrong with it.
By now you must have read all the comments in the Talisman thread so you know what can be expected of the Talisman range so to speak

Indeed. I was just desperately hoping that you'd somehow say that the DAC1's amp was comparable to the Talisman, saving me from the temptation of getting a Talisman if I do get the DAC1 eventually...
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Indeed. I was just desperately hoping that you'd somehow say that the DAC1's amp was comparable to the Talisman, saving me from the temptation of getting a Talisman if I do get the DAC1 eventually...
biggrin.gif

Well if he felt they are equal, why would he still have the T3H? I think the DAC1's amp is good enough to put off buying another amp until you can afford a real monster amp, and despite the great reactions to the T3H, it lacks a few features I'd want on my monster amp, in the name of a more affordable price tag, which is commendable, just not applicable for my line of thinking.

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Where's the best place to buy the Dac1 new?

And what's the best digital input to use - optical or xlr?

Well I don't know of anyone selling them new for less than MSRP, so why now buy them directly from benchmarkmedia.com, since they give you free shipping as well.

On the digital input, it probably depends more on the digital output quality of the transport you're using, and the quality of the cables used perhaps. I couldn't tell you, since I've never used the XLR of mine.

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Well if he felt they are equal, why would he still have the T3H? I think the DAC1's amp is good enough to put off buying another amp until you can afford a real monster amp, and despite the great reactions to the T3H, it lacks a few features I'd want on my monster amp, in the name of a more affordable price tag, which is commendable, just not applicable for my line of thinking.

I know what you mean. But his answer could have been along the lines of "I definitely prefer my Talisman to the DAC1 built-in amp, but I'd say they're in the same class. It's a matter of taste." But it wasn't, so you're right
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Well I don't know of anyone selling them new for less than MSRP, so why now buy them directly from benchmarkmedia.com, since they give you free shipping as well.

Hmm... free shipping... but it's still $975, quite a bit of money.

I know the original question was about where to get it new, but what about a used DAC1? Would I just look through the Audiogon/Stereophile forums in the hopes of finding a good deal?

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Hmm... free shipping... but it's still $975, quite a bit of money.

I know the original question was about where to get it new, but what about a used DAC1? Would I just look through the Audiogon/Stereophile forums in the hopes of finding a good deal?

Or place a WTB ad as well. I just got lucky and found one that had been on audiogon for a while, and talked the guy down on price.

Sep 2, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

It has the most superalative DAC component I have heard for any price under $5000-$8000. I have had the oppurtunity of listening to both the Meridian 588 and the Wadia 302.

You're on crack.

Sep 2, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
You're on crack.

Aren't we all
biggrin.gif

Or else we'd be doing something normal, like not spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars in gear and hours in a forum filled with other insane people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back