Benchmark DAC-1 compared to $1000ish DACs
May 24, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 23
The Benchmark, Lavry and Apogee both have a very clinical sound, as one would expect from pro-audio gear. I've noticed people like this combined with tube amps, which have a warmer sound, to balance things out.

May 24, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Benchmark, Lavry and Apogee both have a very clinical sound, as one would expect from pro-audio gear. I've noticed people like this combined with tube amps, which have a warmer sound, to balance things out.

That's how I use my DAC1pre and I never find it cold sounding.

May 24, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #20 of 23
I decided to lower my budget and go with the Blue Dragon recabling of my HD-650's, a BlackGold interconnect and this combo : Pico DAC and Purity Audio KICAS Caliente, which seems very good, hope I'll get some comments on my choice (didnt order anything yet though)

May 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #22 of 23
I believe that the dac1 is an perfect companion to the raptor!

May 26, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by matanoosh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A clearly "studio" oriented device - bright, flat, boring and accurate.

How does "bright" and "flat" fit into the same sentence here? If it is bright then it is not flat. Anyway, a DAC should not color the sound in anyway so if it is flat and accurate then that is exactly what a good DAC should be. I've seen some people describe the EMU 0404 USB the same way and just shake my head. If you buy a DAC to color the sound then you are buying one for the wrong reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back