Benchmark DAC-1 compared to $1000ish DACs
May 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Wiza_Gab

100+ Head-Fier
How does the DAC-1 compares to other DACs that have no integrated head-amp : Stello DA100 (and Signature) and MHDT Havana ?

I pay for the amp when buying the DAC-1 but does the DAC itself is as good as these ?

I already plan on adding a RSA Raptor for later so I don't want to upgrade the DAC but having an amp right now would be a plus for me . Ill still go with the best in sound quality

Thanks

May 19, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 23
Gilmore Lite over Raptor ? ...

May 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 23
Just to make myself clear, I'm not looking for a DAC + Amp combo, it happens that the Benchmark DAC-1 has one but it's not that important for me, I would take it if only it's as good as Stello DA100, MHDT Havana and such

May 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 23
Getting away from the subject but can you direct me to some reviews that talks about the bad or worst aspects of the Raptor, not that I don't believe you, I'm kinda noob and didn't see any bad reviews about it, only heard that it was one of the best amps for its price

May 20, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 23
I picked up a MHDT Paradisea+ and will be selling all my lower end stuff immediately after one night. The Havana is its big brother. I could easily tell the difference between it and sub$200 external boxes and internal cards. I have read great things about the stello, but I do not have one.

May 20, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apogee Mini-DAC. I find the DAC1 a bit too bright sounding.

Yes bright and flat sounding. I didn't get it.

May 20, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 23
The DAC1, like all other audio components, have its fans and critics. I suggest do a thorough cross-reference search on it with other DACs in this price point. Some suggestions:

Stello DA100/DA100S
CIAudio VDA-2/VAC-1
MHDT Havana
Lavry DA10/DA11

May 23, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 23
I listened to the DAC1 and it was a very dubious experience.
A clearly "studio" oriented device - bright, flat, boring and accurate. However, it did not make music, in my opinion.
I'd try to Apogee Mini-DAC, although my intuition tells me it'll sound roughly the same. That's the beauty of this field, though - audio intuitions are mere educated guesses.
A Stello might also be an interesting candidate.

May 23, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 23
Don't think you can go 'wrong' with any of the choices around that price. Until you compare them for yourself, there is no 'best'.

Personally really like the VDA2/VAC1 combo, but then... I've not heard the others.

May 23, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiza_Gab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the DAC-1 compares to other DACs that have no integrated head-amp : Stello DA100 (and Signature) and MHDT Havana ?

I pay for the amp when buying the DAC-1 but does the DAC itself is as good as these ?

I already plan on adding a RSA Raptor for later so I don't want to upgrade the DAC but having an amp right now would be a plus for me . Ill still go with the best in sound quality

Thanks

A used Benchmark for 600 is hard to beat, unless you go the DIY route. I loved the inner detail, clarity, & separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back