Belden Cable for my Headphones?
Oct 24, 2003 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GanChan

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have the HD590 with its flimsy little stock cable. I'm thinking about buying a new, more industrial-quality cable for it, but I can't shell out tons of dough for the Stefan Arts cable normally recommended. I'm wondering if I'd still hear an improvement with something like a Belden 1/4" phone-to-3.5mm cable (I would then use a 3.5mm-to-2.5mm adaptor for the earpiece end). I can't solder, so a cable with connections already attached would be essential. I can get a 10' length of this cable for less than 25 bucks.

Am I on the right track here? I've heard good things about Belden....

Oct 24, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 5
Stefan AudioArts has some stock of the older "Vision1" line of cables made for the HD590 (etc.). These preceded the current Equinox line.

IM000083b.JPG

Here's the link: http://www.stefanaudioart.com/Vision1.htm

8ft = $40
10ft = $45

Premade, with all proper connectors. Worth looking into.

Oct 24, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 5
That's very interesting. How does the Vision1 sit, quality-wise, between the Equinox and the 590's stock cable? I will definitely consider this.

But just to continue in "experiment" mode for a moment, I also hear there are some nice quality extension cables out there, made by Grado and others. Could I reverse the gender of the female end and make the extension cable into a regular male-male cable?

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by GanChan
That's very interesting. How does the Vision1 sit, quality-wise, between the Equinox and the 590's stock cable? I will definitely consider this.

Yes. Will someone pls. do a mini-review or camparision between the 2? This would be very helpful
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

My tip: microphone cables are optimized for flexibility and mechanical noise. The cable I personally use a lot is the Belden 8413. It has 2 inner conductors and a braid shield. Cotton serve and rubber insulation provide good mechanical damping. Although initially a little bit stiff flexibility can be increased a lot by thourough bending before the cable is placed.

Belden 8413 has a diameter of 5 mm and therefore is much heavier than standard headphone cable. This can be especially annoying if you have your head in an angled position and the whole weight of both cables hangs on one earpiece. This can be prevented by rather long lengths of cable between earpieces and the split where the cables of both channels physically come together. Thus, the weight hanging on both earpieces will remain nearly constant.

Below the split do not connect the two cables with tape or the like. I use small rubber rings at 5 inch distances to keep the cables together. This keeps the cables much more flexible.

From Jan Meier's website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back