Being a student audiophile...
Mar 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #196 of 212

Quote:
Quote:
Ochem and Fluids finals today. This is going to be fun...

Good luck to you man! I had one yesterday and don't have a final until Friday... which sucks since I really want to get out of this place

Last day finals suck just because they're always on your mind.

Both of mine are on Thursday. I've got Physics from 8-11, Econ 4:30-7:30, then work at the dining hall from 8:30-1AM.

I really can't wait for Friday.
frown.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #197 of 212

Quote:
Quote:
Ochem and Fluids finals today. This is going to be fun...

Good luck to you man! I had one yesterday and don't have a final until Friday... which sucks since I really want to get out of this place

Thanks man. I've always had friday finals, and they always suck. Just looming there...

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #198 of 212
I have finals from 10am-10pm on Thursday and internship interviews sporadically until then (and maybe after). Meh, I got some old broken ATH-5's off ebay a while ago so I can look forward to trying to fix those over spring break, and make make a HP stand. Always need something to look forward to lol.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #199 of 212
so, this meet?

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #200 of 212
Yea I'm in this cycle as well. I do read pretty much EVER review on headfi before I buy the headphones, but I'd much rather just listen to them with my own music and ears. I don't think any review can convince you more than actually listening to the cans~

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #201 of 212
My story, I love being different. I might be a bit weird, but I am very well respected at my school, and people mostly really appreciate my essence :). about 4 years ago, I was at best buy and saw Skullcandy Hesh for $60, I bought em.. So I decided, 3 years ago, on my 13th bday, to go different, and get some headphpnes other than beats. I had used earbuds all my life, skullcandy inkd mostly. I found the AKG K240 MKii. I loved them! Wow, what a sound, I couldn't believe how amazing they were. So next year came around, and you know what I wanted for my birthday, headphpnes :). I went back to AKg, and found the gorgeous looking white Q701, I had to split the cost with my dad, even though he is the head of M&A at a law firm, and has plenty of cash. He likes me spending my own money, not his (damn expensive hobbies suck for this). So that's my first real awesome headphone. So after a while I found this forum, and got a FiiO E11, then later, an e17. I let my cousin take my MKii's to Belgium with him for 6 months, and just got them back this Christmas. Also for Christmas, I asked for K167's, since my parents don't appreciate my music coming from my open Q701's. I also bought some used A700's and Hd555's. I am selling those now, and bought some broken DT 880's to fox, got em for 70 bucks! I also ordered a Little Dot MKiii last week, and am hoping for some HE-400's soon. I am attending the NYC Audio Show in April, but really do want to meet some other Head-Fiers. I'm a sophomore, 16 years old :)

N.B. I am getting my permit today :)

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #202 of 212
Guess i have to join this club as well :beyersmile:. I just got a hd600 last week, cost me almost 2 weeks of part-time work but it is certainly a good purchase to me, almost like 30% discount at local sennheiser store. It seems like the hd600 soon to be discontinued. But so far there is rarely other headphones that is comparable to its neutrality. Yeah neutrality is the sound that i longed for. I din consider the fact that it is open headphone thus it is a big no for library use, plus its super big size and inability to fold reduces portability significantly. Guess it have to be left in my dorm for now XD. Well, economically these audiophile stuffs certainly cost alot. But their value doesnt drop as much as other tech stuffs like smartphones and laptop/pc. Why? Computing performance is easily succeed by newer model or technologies (eg. 65nm>45nm>28nm>16/14nm....if you know what i mean). Just compared how much other students switched their iphones as soon as the new one comes out and it certainly cost a portable amp/dac or a nice headphone. In short, if you enjoy your gear and it worth what you have worked for, feel no regrets then.

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #204 of 212
It's tough but sometimes you sacrifice having food on your table for music in your ears. Feeding your body is important, but sometimes you have to feed your mind as well. :wink:

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #209 of 212
I am a college student. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

After designing and building my first few planar drivers, building a few headphone amps (including a "starving student" tube amp by Pete Millet) and modifying and building an (openalpha) Alpha prime when the STLs were released, (all in my dorm room mind you!) it is safe to say I learned a lot from headphones!

I am almost done building my CNC machine and a second 3d printer, primarily to be used for building more planar and electrostatic headphones.

I ended up traveling around (without a car) new england for the sake of headphones, from local audio shops in boston to Canjam NYC!

I think it is all worth the effort; enjoying music and other's enthusiasm is good, and learning dorm-scale manufacturing processes (resolving in getting a job in the local 3d/2d print lab and creating a university-funded hacking club) is fabulous!

I say you can make just about any hobby work in your favor....

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #210 of 212
I am a college student. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

After designing and building my first few planar drivers, building a few headphone amps (including a "starving student" tube amp by Pete Millet) and modifying and building an (openalpha) Alpha prime when the STLs were released, (all in my dorm room mind you!) it is safe to say I learned a lot from headphones!

I am almost done building my CNC machine and a second 3d printer, primarily to be used for building more planar and electrostatic headphones.

I ended up traveling around (without a car) new england for the sake of headphones, from local audio shops in boston to Canjam NYC!

I think it is all worth the effort; enjoying music and other's enthusiasm is good, and learning dorm-scale manufacturing processes (resolving in getting a job in the local 3d/2d print lab and creating a university-funded hacking club) is fabulous!

I say you can make just about any hobby work in your favor....

when your hobby is your job, you never feel like working at all :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back