Beginning with fewest steps possible
Feb 21, 2022 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cacodemomania

New Head-Fier
Hi, everyone!
My username is Cacodemomania, but you can call me Caco, CDM, Big C, or Cacodemomania.
Anything really, except C Man.
That was a mistake.
One of you is going to call me C Man now.
I feel stupendously ignorant.

My goal: to get most distance out of as few a steps as possible.

I have a Tidal subscription, TempoTec Sonata HD Pro, and KZ ZS10 (not the Pro version).

I listen at home using my Pixel 5 with USB Audio Player Pro.
When I'm at work, I can use my pc.
I use the Sonata with both.

I listen to music, podcasts, ASMR, and movies. My musical taste has wide range, but mostly rock. I enjoy A Place to Bury Strangers, The National, Jack White, Aldous Harding, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Beirut, Bon Iver, Chromatics, The Black Keys, Feist, Franz Ferdinand, Jimi Hendrix, LCD Sound System, Hamilton Leithauser, Lana Del Rey, Okkervil River, Radiohead, Rostam, Sigur Ros, Spoon, Sufjan Stevens, The Antlers, The Decemberists, The Kills, The Strokes, The Twilight Sad, The Walkmen, Timber Timbre, Wolf Parade, and more.

I think Tinny is the devil and Muddy is his mistress. I want to make my ears bleed with joy while I can still hear. I wear hearing protection when appropriate (shotguns, landscaping equipment, etc) and have great hearing range, so let's make it count. Okay?

I hope some of that was useful.
What upgrades do you recommend?
If I have $500, what is the best way to spend it?

• Headphones
• Headphones & DAC
• Headphones, DAC, and amp
• 3 pairs of headphones

I can go over $500, if I need to.
I make the rules.
Thanks for any help you can provide me.
I love you.
There, I said it.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey, when you're at work, are people nearby? Are open backs an option or would they need to be closed?

Do you need to use them on the go outside, or strictly at home or work?

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 11
Hey, when you're at work, are people nearby? Are open backs an option or would they need to be closed?

Do you need to use them on the go outside, or strictly at home or work?

Excellent questions!

Open aren't an option.
My office is noisy.

I will also need a pair of in ear that I can wear on the go, but I sure would like them to fit better than my ZS10.

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 11
I would allocate the $500 to headphones and a budget IEM that's a step up from your KZs (Olina is getting a lot of hype right now; Moondrop Aria has been widely praised; I haven't heard either one). Then, depending on what your chosen headphones need, possibly a $100 desktop amp like the Schiit Magni 3 or the JDS Labs Atom. You already have the TempoTec Sonata as a DAC, which should be entirely good enough for your streaming and possibly a strong enough amp.

I'm using open backs so can't recommend a headphone for you, but these might be a possibility -- check the reviews.
https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.html?emailprice=t

These IEMs -- Etymotic 3XR -- are the opposite of muddy, largely flat with a slight bass boost so they don't sound too clinical. They're bullet shaped and won't annoy your outer ears at all, but they need a deep fit that some people find uncomfortable. For me they are very comfortable with the foams, bad with the flanged silicones; returning them is just about $12 for shipping if you want to try them.

https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?emailprice=t

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 11
Do you intend to keep your portable setup? If that is the case easily driven IEMs should be on your radar.

I'm interested in starting a less portable setup, as well as getting better IEMs.

If I actually spent money on myself, my wife would be happy. I have a tendency to be frugal, and avoid unnecessary purchases altogether. So, an extra pair wouldn't be an issue.

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm interested in starting a less portable setup, as well as getting better IEMs.

If I actually spent money on myself, my wife would be happy. I have a tendency to be frugal, and avoid unnecessary purchases altogether. So, an extra pair wouldn't be an issue.
Do you intend to stick with IEMs only or branch out into headphones?

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 11
I would allocate the $500 to headphones and a budget IEM that's a step up from your KZs (Olina is getting a lot of hype right now; Moondrop Aria has been widely praised; I haven't heard either one). Then, depending on what your chosen headphones need, possibly a $100 desktop amp like the Schiit Magni 3 or the JDS Labs Atom. You already have the TempoTec Sonata as a DAC, which should be entirely good enough for your streaming and possibly a strong enough amp.

I'm using open backs so can't recommend a headphone for you, but these might be a possibility -- check the reviews.
https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.html?emailprice=t

These IEMs -- Etymotic 3XR -- are the opposite of muddy, largely flat with a slight bass boost so they don't sound too clinical. They're bullet shaped and won't annoy your outer ears at all, but they need a deep fit that some people find uncomfortable. For me they are very comfortable with the foams, bad with the flanged silicones; returning them is just about $12 for shipping if you want to try them.

https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?emailprice=t

Nice discounts on those.
Thanks for the links.
If I follow them, the price is discounted.
If search the site, it isn't.

I like that the Schiit units are made in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back