Beginner
May 9, 2020 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

topboyz47

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the whole audio world and I'm looking to buy a new paid of IEM's/Headphones. I've had Shure SE215's and they were great. I bought a paid of KS ZST's because they were cheap, but I find the highs a little too harsh.
I've got around $200-$300 AUD to spend. I've been looking into buying the Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 598. I've heard that open-back headphones sound wider and clearer (I've only done minimal research). I don't mind if they leak sound, I'll be using them at home. Later down the line when I have a little more money I'm probably going to buy a DAC (I currently use a MacBook Pro) because I've heard it improves the sound.

I listen to a lot of Hip Hop and R&B music (Drake, Travis Scott, etc), some old rock and most of my music are FLAC's from CD's or Qobuz/HDTracks.

I wanted to know, are there any better alternatives than the HD558's/598's? Which DAC (around $150-200) could I pair this with?
And also for the same price range, any IEM's that have a wide and clear sound signature? Again, any DAC I could pair this with?
I really want to get the full potential out of whatever I buy.
I'm looking for clarity and a wider soundstage to listen to all the different instruments/beats.

Sorry for all the questions and if I've written anything wrong; I've still got a lot to learn! The internet is a really confusing place and I just thought this was the best place to ask.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 2
As this is an older thread, w/o any responses, are you still in the market for items as listed above? I’m much more into IEMs, so perhaps I can help there. What exactly are you looking for in an IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back