Beginner with DT 990 Pro + O2 AMP
Jan 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tfarina

New Head-Fier
Hi people...

I´m newer with audio system and first I bought a ATH AD700+Asus Xonar DX.... I liked too much and improved my system with DT 990 Pro and Amp O2 with Asus DX.

For games the sound is near to perfection.... but my problem is with musics or voices on games. When I hear, looks like that Im inside of tin box.... I tried to use some default definitons on Asus DX and now is a litte better with classic music mode.
And the sound of left and right is not clear

If I put the P2-P2 cable fully on O2 I hear a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz so I need to put a half of P2 cable...

What can I do to turn the sound better and more claear?

obs: sorry for my bad english...

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfarina /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For games the sound is near to perfection.... but my problem is with musics or voices on games. When I hear, looks like that Im inside of tin box.... I tried to use some default definitons on Asus DX and now is a litte better with classic music mode.

For music, try the "HiFi" mode, disabling all DSP, EQ, etc. On the O2, select low (2.5x) gain, and on the sound card, set maximum or at least high volume (except for the "left" and "right" controls, which should be left at the default 76% setting). If possible, also try to avoid/minimize any unwanted resampling or other processing by Windows; set the output sample rate of the card to 44100 Hz for CD format music, and 24-bit resolution to allow for digital volume control with minimal quality loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfarina /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I put the P2-P2 cable fully on O2 I hear a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz so I need to put a half of P2 cable...

By "P2-P2", do you mean the power or the audio cable (1/8" jack to 1/8" jack) ? If the latter, then a broken cable can indeed cause very noticeable problems with the sound, similarly to what you described.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
For music, try the "HiFi" mode, disabling all DSP, EQ, etc. On the O2, select low (2.5x) gain, and on the sound card, set maximum or at least high volume (except for the "left" and "right" controls, which should be left at the default 76% setting). If possible, also try to avoid/minimize any unwanted resampling or other processing by Windows; set the output sample rate of the card to 44100 Hz for CD format music, and 24-bit resolution to allow for digital volume control with minimal quality loss.

I disabled like you said and it´s too much better.... the sound is very good now
About O2 Whats ´the difference between low gain and high gain?
About the output sample rate... Would I set 44100 Hz and 24 bit resolution for music and gaming?

For gaming Do I need to enable all of your suggestion above? Include High gain on O2?

By "P2-P2", do you mean the power or the audio cable (1/8" jack to 1/8" jack) ? If the latter, then a broken cable can indeed cause very noticeable problems with the sound, similarly to what you described.

Yes, is the Audio Cable.... I bought a poor cable because I was hurry for one... and i didn´t tell it because I wanted a answer without a obvious reason and maybe other solutions... I will buy a new audio cable.

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
About O2 Whats ´the difference between low gain and high gain?

You can find detailed information about that on the blog of the designer of the O2 (it is not allowed to post a link here, but you should be able to find it). Also, the "Headphone Amps (full-size)" forum here has some O2 threads where you can ask questions about the amplifier. In short, low gain should normally be fine, and you only need high gain if the sound is not loud enough even if the volume on the O2 is at or near the maximum. One important thing to know about the O2 is that setting high gain can cause it to distort, regardless of its volume setting, if the voltage from the source is high enough. The Xonar DX can output nearly 2 Vrms at maximum volume, and that is indeed sufficiently high to cause distortion problems in the O2 at high gain. Low gain is safe.

Quote:
About the output sample rate... Would I set 44100 Hz and 24 bit resolution for music and gaming?

Ideally, the sample rate should be set to match that of the music or games, so that sample rate conversion by WIndows is avoided. However, music playback software like foobar2000 can allow you to use a low level audio API like ASIO or WASAPI to bypass the Windows software mixer. 24-bit resolution is safe to set even if you play 16-bit audio.

Quote:
Yes, is the Audio Cable.... I bought a poor cable because I was hurry for one... and i didn´t tell it because I wanted a answer without a obvious reason and maybe other solutions... I will buy a new audio cable.

An expensive cable is not needed, just one that works reliably without any audible problems.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

You can find detailed information about that on the blog of the designer of the O2 (it is not allowed to post a link here, but you should be able to find it). Also, the "Headphone Amps (full-size)" forum here has some O2 threads where you can ask questions about the amplifier. In short, low gain should normally be fine, and you only need high gain if the sound is not loud enough even if the volume on the O2 is at or near the maximum. One important thing to know about the O2 is that setting high gain can cause it to distort, regardless of its volume setting, if the voltage from the source is high enough. The Xonar DX can output nearly 2 Vrms at maximum volume, and that is indeed sufficiently high to cause distortion problems in the O2 at high gain. Low gain is safe.

Ideally, the sample rate should be set to match that of the music or games, so that sample rate conversion by WIndows is avoided. However, music playback software like foobar2000 can allow you to use a low level audio API like ASIO or WASAPI to bypass the Windows software mixer. 24-bit resolution is safe to set even if you play 16-bit audio.

An expensive cable is not needed, just one that works reliably without any audible problems.

Tks man, I will search some O2 threads

do I need enable DSP, EQ, etc for gaming?

do you know some advice or testing to test left right sound? as i said, it isn´t clearly enough... it looks like that is on both side

about my audio cable, I paid 1/3 over recommended because I find a good one only on web and I needed  one quickly. Now I have time to search a good and not expensive cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back