Beginner musical education for adults?
Oct 31, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

moouers

Head-Fier
I need your help for my report for my studies! I would greatly appreciate it. Please don't be afraid to answer any way you see fit. All data is appreciated!

I am writing a proposal for a new beginning musical education program at my local community college. The program will be aimed at adults who have never played a musical instrument but express the desire to learn, and is also aimed at those who already play an instrument but want to learn the basics of a new instrument. The proposed program would be covered under financial aid, if necessary, and would offer participants the ability to rent most instruments that are available to learn. Instruction would primarily be one-on-one, though slightly larger classes may be necessary for some instruments in higher demand.

1. What is your age?

2. Do you play a musical instrument? Why or why not?

3. If you play a musical instrument, when did you learn to play?

4. If you do not play a musical instrument, did you used to in your past?

5. If you do not play, is it something you wish to learn?

6. If so, have you considered private lessons?

7. Is cost a factor in learning to play a musical instrument?

8. Would you be interested in attending a beginning musical education program at your local community college, allowing you to learn the fundamentals of any major instrument of your choosing, if the price were agreeable?

9. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thank you all for your answers and support,
John Myers

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:

1. What is your age? 18

2. Do you play a musical instrument? Why or why not? No. Never had the time to.

3. If you play a musical instrument, when did you learn to play? -

4. If you do not play a musical instrument, did you used to in your past? -

5. If you do not play, is it something you wish to learn? I would love to learn how to play the electronic guitar and drums.

6. If so, have you considered private lessons? Recently yes, but my wallet wouldn't allow it.

7. Is cost a factor in learning to play a musical instrument? Yes.

8. Would you be interested in attending a beginning musical education program at your local community college, allowing you to learn the fundamentals of any major instrument of your choosing, if the price were agreeable?

If someone offered me lessons for a small fee, yes. But I don't reside in the US. 

-

John Myers

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 14
1. What is your age?
Yes. Flute and piano.
4th Grade, so about 2001.
N/A
N/A
N/A
Depends on maintenance of said instrument, but if renting, it'll depends probably on the type being rented.
Sure.
Good luck!

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 14
1. What is your age? 23

2. Do you play a musical instrument? Why or why not? i play guitar,piano,violin,mandolin,drums,and flute cause i enjoy music

3. If you play a musical instrument, when did you learn to play? on and off in my years. mostly started seriously around 17 cause i was able to start supporting my interest

4. If you do not play a musical instrument, did you used to in your past? i play the same things that i do today

5. If you do not play, is it something you wish to learn? i would love to learn everything i can. everyday is something new to me

6. If so, have you considered private lessons? not really since i prefer to stay self-taught. i find it better for me but i am not afraid to ask for advice/help

7. Is cost a factor in learning to play a musical instrument? just the gear itself is very pricey. i'm self-taught so not really worried about cost of lessons.

8. Would you be interested in attending a beginning musical education program at your local community college, allowing you to learn the fundamentals of any major instrument of your choosing, if the price were agreeable? of course. there is many new things in the world i can learn from that i might not know of, or any type of advice that can help me improve myself. there is always something to learn.

9. Any other comments or suggestions?to be honest, i'm not very good at making suggestions

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 14
1. 39

2. Yes: mostly tuba, clarinet and bass clarinet. Played a little trombone, tenor sax and bassoon, too.

3. 9

4. N/A

5. I'd love to play in a group again. Would also love to learn a string, keyboard and percussion. I've thought about the pedal steel, harpsichord and vibes. I love the way they sound and think they'd be fun.

6. Maybe just a few to get the basics on something completely new. I can muck through anything brass or woodwind.

7. Time is a bigger factor than cost. But when I retire, I intend to get into some kind of community orchestra or band. Maybe both. :)

8. Absolutely. Though I'd like to see a community orchestra, too, where newly trained musicians can go as well as people who already play.

9. Make the classes after work hours and also recruit high school students if there's no music ed.
Maybe create a program where volunteers can go into primary schools and give lessons. Kids need music ed, too.

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 14

1. What is your age? 23

2. Do you play a musical instrument? Why or why not? No. I never really fell into it in school so I never really started it as a hobby either (video games, D&D, model building, martial arts, break dancing, surfing, snowboarding, long boarding, etc.) I own an electronic keyboard but never had the patience to sit down and learn.

3. If you play a musical instrument, when did you learn to play? N/A

4. If you do not play a musical instrument, did you used to in your past? I played around with an electronic keyboard, played the recorder along with every other kid in elementary school.

5. If you do not play, is it something you wish to learn? I'd love to learn how to play Bass. Reflects my personality I guess. 

6. If so, have you considered private lessons? I've never really considered it. It's been more of a daydream.

7. Is cost a factor in learning to play a musical instrument? I think it would for anyone. You better make me a god among men if you charge a sizable amount.

8. Would you be interested in attending a beginning musical education program at your local community college, allowing you to learn the fundamentals of any major instrument of your choosing, if the price were agreeable? Heck yes, that would be great. It'd give me an excuse to start to learn. Especially if it counted towards my degree as an Arts credit or something of the sort.

9. Any other comments or suggestions? I think the first step of learning an instrument for those of us in school and working is having an excuse to learn. Making it a class you don't need to take would help make sure that the people in there really want to learn. It could be a very fun and interesting course. Also if the school purchased the instruments, it could be an affordable class to take as well.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:

1. 62

2. Yes.  To make music, of course.  Plus it's stimulating, a recreation and, on a good day, real enjoyment!

3. I started taking music lessons at the age of 4.

4. NA

5. NA

6. Yes.  I took lessons for the three instruments I learned to play and voice lessons.

7. No.

8. Advanced, yes.  Beginners, no.

9. Any educational programme should begin with clear learner objectives.  Learning an instrument, learning to read music, music appreciation, music history, writing or composing music, understanding music forms and conventions are but a handful of many music content areas, each with their own knowledge and skills.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:

1. What is your age? 18

2. Do you play a musical instrument? Why or why not? Yes, violin, piano, recorder and percussions (mostly timpani). Why, because I love them!

3. If you play a musical instrument, when did you learn to play? 5 I believe. 

4. If you do not play a musical instrument, did you used to in your past? -

5. If you do not play, is it something you wish to learn? -

6. If so, have you considered private lessons? I already have private lessons. Now I have graduated both violin and piano from a conservatory.

7. Is cost a factor in learning to play a musical instrument? Absolutely..my violin cost about $2000 and the bow costs $580. And the piano + music school fees? It's a huge factor.

8. Would you be interested in attending a beginning musical education program at your local community college, allowing you to learn the fundamentals of any major instrument of your choosing, if the price were agreeable? Not me, I'm finished.

9. Any other comments or suggestions? Time is also a huge factor. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 14
1. What is your age? 19.

2. Do you play a musical instrument? Why or why not? Yes. I play electric guitar. I played drums for a little while when I was a kid.

3. If you play a musical instrument, when did you learn to play? Learned drums sometime around 11, and start guitar at 17.

6. If so, have you considered private lessons? I've taken lessons for both.

7. Is cost a factor in learning to play a musical instrument? Yes.

8. Would you be interested in attending a beginning musical education program at your local community college, allowing you to learn the fundamentals of any major instrument of your choosing, if the price were agreeable? Yes, I think so.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 14

1. What is your age?  28

2. Do you play a musical instrument? Why or why not?  Yes, percussion though I'm a bit out of practice.  I wanted to be apart of the music.

3. If you play a musical instrument, when did you learn to play?  5th grade, 1993.  I played in a school setting until my graduation in 2001.

4. If you do not play a musical instrument, did you used to in your past?  NA

5. If you do not play, is it something you wish to learn?  I would love to learn another instrument, the cello specifically.

6. If so, have you considered private lessons?  Yes.

7. Is cost a factor in learning to play a musical instrument?  Presently, yes, as well as time.

8. Would you be interested in attending a beginning musical education program at your local community college, allowing you to learn the fundamentals of any major instrument of your choosing, if the price were agreeable?  Yes.

9. Any other comments or suggestions?  Heavily emphasize the need for practice.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 14

1. What is your age?

Yes...music is very important to me.

6 years old. Trumpet. Played in a jazz band in high school and university (through grad school). But funny enough, not so much since my kids were born.
tongue.gif

I used to teach private lessons before kids.

Nope.

When my kids (3 and 7) are a bit older, I would love to learn to play the guitar and take music lessons to learn to do so.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 14
1. What is your age?

No.   Small apartment, small children, no space/time/energy.

Woods in elementary school and junior high, brass in junior high, guitar and keys after college.

Yes: clarinet and alto sax mostly.  Some trumpet, trombone, and baritone. I own keyboards and guitars, including a bass, but can't play them very well.  It was shortly after the time that I bought these things that I had no more time for learning a new instrument.  I've used all of them a bunch though, to jam and to record.

Yes!  Especially the instruments I bought and haven't been able to learn.

Not seriously.

It would be.  I don't plan to buy an instrument.  I would pay for lessons if I wanted them and if my lifestyle permitted.

Sure.

Great thing you're doing there.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I need your help for my report for my studies! I would greatly appreciate it. Please don't be afraid to answer any way you see fit. All data is appreciated!

I am writing a proposal for a new beginning musical education program at my local community college. The program will be aimed at adults who have never played a musical instrument but express the desire to learn, and is also aimed at those who already play an instrument but want to learn the basics of a new instrument. The proposed program would be covered under financial aid, if necessary, and would offer participants the ability to rent most instruments that are available to learn. Instruction would primarily be one-on-one, though slightly larger classes may be necessary for some instruments in higher demand.

1. What is your age? 14

2. Do you play a musical instrument? Why or why not? Yes, I play percussion ( drums). I play because I enjoy it, and it's a great creative outlet.

3. If you play a musical instrument, when did you learn to play? I started when I was 10.

4. If you do not play a musical instrument, did you used to in your past? -----

5. If you do not play, is it something you wish to learn? ------

6. If so, have you considered private lessons? I do take lessons once a week. ( private lessons )

7. Is cost a factor in learning to play a musical instrument? No, I don't pay for it :wink:

8. Would you be interested in attending a beginning musical education program at your local community college, allowing you to learn the fundamentals of any major instrument of your choosing, if the price were agreeable? Yes.

9. Any other comments or suggestions? Not really.

John Myers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back