Before Head-Fi I was a BASSHEAD, were you?
Oct 5, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #16 of 66
i was starting down the path of utter bass destruction until Bozebutton's Maestrobated Melos with Grado PS-1s with Flat Pads scared me bassless for a few years. Without that RL acid test, I probably would have gravitated towards my own Maestrobator far sooner than I did. And no, I still won't listen to it with a PS-1. I tried Goredwings' PS-1 with my Reference Melos at the National Meet and it was STILL scary bass
basshead.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #17 of 66
When I was growing up we kids used to go to "the show". And movie theaters in those days had a lower limit of about 70cps. So bass as we know it today was virtually unheard of.

When you don't grow up with it you can't miss it!

We had tubes though
smily_headphones1.gif
......everything was tubes.
tongue.gif

Even my home theater system uses a musical sub that barely gets into the upper 20s.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #18 of 66
Lets just say I went through 3 pairs of EX71s, which are probably the muddiest canalbuds out there right now.

And for 80% of the time I had my huge computer subwoofer far louder than the sattelites it came with
wink.gif

Now I am the opposite, Grado/Ety fan.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 66
Definetly. The initial reason I got my headphones was because I was so impressed with the bass compared to earbuds. Luckily I now appreciate other aspects of them.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #23 of 66
ive always appreciated mids and highs more. strangely enough my cars sound systems never had subs just really good speakers though a sub woulda helped out alot.. lol

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i was starting down the path of utter bass destruction until Bozebutton's Maestrobated Melos with Grado PS-1s with Flat Pads scared me bassless for a few years. Without that RL acid test, I probably would have gravitated towards my own Maestrobator far sooner than I did. And no, I still won't listen to it with a PS-1. I tried Goredwings' PS-1 with my Reference Melos at the National Meet and it was STILL scary bass
basshead.gif

Awww come on dude it was fun. I use to have a M&K sub and I have a rel sub sitting in the attic somewhere.

I use to connect the Rel up sit on top of it with the ps-1+flats. Then drop the Amperex PQ's 7308s into the Melos and then drop in some leftfield or metallica or whatever bass heavy recorded album I could get my hands on and that was really fun.
rs1smile.gif

Just don't try it though after a few pints and a hot vindaloo is my best advice
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
I've actually always been a treble head really. Always loved violins...

Rock on!
smiley_violin.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #28 of 66
nope, never loved bass and I"m a high school senior now. It really hurt my ears although I like bass in high tight quantities (reasonable)

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #29 of 66
Always enjoyed a balanced system, but fascinated by bass!

Even growing up I'd sit lay on the carpet in the living room way too close to the bass driver.
basshead.gif

I don't think anythings changed...I still love a good balanced, high quality setup but real, powerful bass is still very impressive in small quantities.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #30 of 66
i used to be a basshead but im now the complete opposite...

I cant listen to untamed bass for more than a minute!!!
basshead.gif

I still like bass a lot but only when it is VERY well controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back