BEER ME!
May 26, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #31 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Where are you located? This beer is starting to be served all over the world, now. Used to be difficult to find once.

I'm outside of Memphis Tennessee, USA.

Franziskaner is another favorite German Beer of mine.

Here is a little of what I have at home right now...
47b4db07b3127ccebf484a75bac90000002613

Dogfish Head Ales are now available in our area. These are from Delaware, and this brewery happens to be the fastest growing craft brewery in the U.S. right now. You will see some Sierra Nevada in there as well. And; Chimay. 'Love a good Belgium Ale!

I love a big hoppy ale! I generally always have Pyramid India Pale Ale, but I am currently out. Picking some more of that up this week.

Speaking of German Beers; another favorite of mine is Aventinus. Excellent! It's a wheat dopplebock. And; it's about 9% alcohol. Really, really good beer!

May 26, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #32 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGR
I'm outside of Memphis Tennessee, USA.

Franziskaner is another favorite German Beer of mine.

Here is a little of what I have at home right now...
47b4db07b3127ccebf484a75bac90000002613

...OK, gimme five mins, I'll be right there!!
lach_3.gif

May 26, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #33 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
...OK, gimme five mins, I'll be right there!!
lach_3.gif

Alright!! Be sure to go out to my website! There is a good listing of the higher alcohol beers available in our area. Check out the Yorkshire Liquors page. Here in Tennessee, if the beer is above 6%, it has to be sold in liquor stores.

May 26, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #35 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGR
Alright!! Be sure to go out to my website! There is a good listing of the higher alcohol beers available in our area. Check out the Yorkshire Liquors page. Here in Tennessee, if the beer is above 6%, it has to be sold in liquor stores.

Will do, thanks! BTW, here in Europe the beer is generally made a little stronger than in the US. Most of the beers here tend to be around 5-6%. Now they are making beers up to like 14% which in my opinion is just ruining good beer. From what I've seen there are only a few types of people who drink this ultra strong stuff: winos, kids and folks with no money who drink for the wrong reason...
frown.gif

5-6% is quite enough, IMHO..
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #36 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
I hate Heineken......any microbrewery will blow Heineken out of the water. IMO.

Right!
The best beer I ever had was a Heineken when I was in Amsterdam, but the stuff they export tastes like skunk pee.

Pete's Wicked Ale WAS my favorite beer until they changed the recipie.
I won't buy it now.

May 26, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #37 of 182
So many good beers... Here are a couple to try:

Pilsner Urquell -- I heard that the Czechs drink more beer per capita than any other nation on the planet. If I made beer this good, I would too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Spaten Optimator -- The Germans know how to make beer. You should be able to find this at a local specialty beer shop. This beer is so good it cures your ailments.

May 26, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #38 of 182
I'm not much of a beer drinker.
I do like Alaskan Amber and Alaskan Summer Ale.
Those should be very easy to find around Seattle.

Michelob Dark is good.

I liked Corona, but everybody around here thinks your strange if they see you drink it.
confused.gif
I can't repeat here what they say about it.

I really liked Rogue River's Black Butte Porter on tap, but out of the bottle I didn't care for it.
The beers you mentioned liking are lighter beers. The ales and porters are much stronger tasting. I would recommend that you try the Alaskan Amber.

May 26, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #39 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I'm not much of a beer drinker.
I do like Alaskan Amber and Alaskan Summer Ale.
Those should be very easy to find around Seattle.

Michelob Dark is good.

I liked Corona, but everybody around here thinks your strange if they see you drink it.
confused.gif
I can't repeat here what they say about it.

I really liked Rogue River's Black Butte Porter on tap, but out of the bottle I didn't care for it.
The beers you mentioned liking are lighter beers. The ales and porters are much stronger tasting. I would recommend that you try the Alaskan Amber.

Hmm..I like a cool Corona, too. Nothing wrong with that beer with a nice fresh slice of lime in the top..Darn, I haven't had a beer a in weeks and this thread is seriously motivating me to go out and buy a 6 pack..
biggrin.gif
Good weather for a beer today, too.

May 26, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #40 of 182
[size=medium]By the way.......... Rogue does not brew Black Butte Porter. That is a beer from Deshutes Brewing of Hood River, OR.[/size]

I will drink 2 beers a day Monday through Thursday. Between Friday and Sunday, I may enjoy 3 to 4 per evening. I seldom drink 2 of the same beer in a day. It's nice keeping several brands and styles handy!
cool.gif

May 26, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #41 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Right!
The best beer I ever had was a Heineken when I was in Amsterdam, but the stuff they export tastes like skunk pee.

So they finally listened to me....!!
wink.gif
"Keep the good stuff, export the skunk pee to the US.....Nah!..they'll never know the difference, they'll just think it's Budweiser and love it...!"
lach_3.gif

May 26, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #43 of 182
Like radrd, I have never been much of a beer drinker, and was very ashamed to come to the USA and receive gasps of disbelief - "...an Australian that doesn't like beer??!! Lord have mercy!".

Well, things have changed a bit in the last six months or so. I have discovered lots of small breweries and developed a real liking for Belgian-style beers. Some of my favourites so far:

Leffe Brown (Draught only - let me know if it come in bottles!).
Leffe Blonde (The Brown is better, but Blonde is both druaght and bottled).
Flying Fish - Belgian-style Dubbel
Dogfish Head - Raison d'etre (saw a couple in AGR's fridge above!) :p
Unibroue - Fin du monde
Victory - Golden Monkey

Seems I like a full-bodied, full-flavoured beer. Once things get light and watery, I loose interest
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #44 of 182
If you ever get to Vermont (Stowe/Burlington area) go to the Shed brewery and pick up a growler of the Mountain Ale. The best beer I've ever tasted.

Also stop by the Magic Hat brewery while your there and try some of their great beers.

If you ever make it to Rhode Island, find you way to the Mew's Tavern. They have 69 different types of beer -on tap- and many others in bottles. They also offer sampler racks (6 half pint glasses of assorted beers of your choice). They also have a pretty kick ass menu.

Forget about the mass produced stuff (although Magic Hat is getting there), stick to the micro brews and you'll be happy.

May 26, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #45 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by v_1matst
If you ever get to Vermont (Stowe/Burlington area) go to the Shed brewery and pick up a growler of the Mountain Ale. The best beer I've ever tasted.

Also stop by the Magic Hat brewery while your there and try some of their great beers.

If you ever make it to Rhode Island, find you way to the Mew's Tavern. They have 69 different types of beer -on tap- and many others in bottles. They also offer sampler racks (6 half pint glasses of assorted beers of your choice). They also have a pretty kick ass menu.

Forget about the mass produced stuff (although Magic Hat is getting there), stick to the micro brews and you'll be happy.

I do love the beers from Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware. I had their owner/president on our radio show; "Brew Line". And; the nice thing is, we just got 3 of their beers in our area.
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back