Been reading on the site for a while, ready to get some input!
Jan 3, 2011 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lenaen

New Head-Fier
Hey all, just wanna start off by saying this website is great and everyone seems incredibly helpful, so I figured I'd ask for your help too!

Here's my situation: I'm entering my second semester of grad school and need to get some good quality headphones. I'll be using these at least 3-7 hours every day, depending on how crazy paper writing is that week. The really big issue is that my listening is gonna be all over the place. Here's how it'll break down:

1. School - gonna be in the computer lab a fair amount, likely on Pandora (paid account, so 192k, mostly alt/pop/rock, some classical). It tends to be pretty quiet in there, so sound leaking out should be minimal.
  2. Home - again, Pandora, but I do fire up some stuff from my FLAC collection too. I also tend to watch a lot of TV through my computer. When I have time for gaming, it's usually Rock Band and I prefer wearing headphones when I play so I don't have to listen to clicking.
  3. On the go - I have an iPod but I honestly don't use it much; my commute is 30 minutes at the most.

So portability is important but I don't mind just wearing something chunkier around my neck or whatever. I'm really trying to stay sub-$100, but would keep an eye out for a good sale on a more expensive set. I'm aiming for something circumaural, but I'd like to avoid the need for a portable amp.

I've been looking on Joker's list and around at some other forum topics and here's what I've come up with:

1. Sony MDR-XB500 - tried these on when I saw them in a store and they're as comfortable as advertised, but bass really isn't the most important sound aspect for me. Joker also makes it seem as though the isolation isn't as great as you would expect from two giant pillows on the side of your face.
  2. Sennheiser HD-280 - Amazon has them on sale for <$100 but I found mixed reviews on here, especially if I'm going to be wearing them for long periods of time.
  3. AKG...something - I'm honestly not very familiar with the brand and I've been trying to sort through the models without much luck, but the circumaural models all seem pretty well reviewed.

So...I'll take whatever suggestions that are offered. I'm leaning towards the Sony set at the moment, just because of the comfort factor but I don't think they would fit very well with what I usually listen to. I'll keep an eye on this thread and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have that help me come up with a solution!

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 6
sub 100$ sets are hard to new recommend NEW, used however is another story and you've a lot of typical recommendations to look at.

the audio technica m50
shure 750dj
denon hp700 ( my first time recommending this, I got to listening to it for the first time recently and i liked it )

the sonys are soft, but got very hot on my head after a short time, the hd280 pro is notorious for being dreadfully uncomfortable, and the only portable akg I can recommend is the 181dj 

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your reply! I'd heard really good things about both the m50 and hp700 both on Joker's list and elsewhere on the site and my only concern is that it seems like I would lose a lot if I used them without an amp, which is something I'm trying to avoid using on top of the "leave me alone I'm trying to work here" headphones I'll be wearing.
darthsmile.gif

I saw your Shure review on Amazon, so if I'm able to find a pair of those on the cheap I'll definitely add them to the list.

The AKGs look nice but I'd have to find those used too.

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 6
If amping is a concern, I would avoid the M50 and go for the Hp700 or the Shure 750 Dj.  The M50 sounds great right out of a sansa fuze or clip, but not as good as the shure.  The m50 needs more amping to shine brighter and its capable of great things ( called scaling up ) as you get better amping compared to the others anyway

You might also enjoy the Audio Technica ES7, its much smaller with on earpads, but it sounds fantastic and sounds excellent without amping.  There is also the DBI Pro 700 or 705, if you can snag one on ebay new for $45, dont hesitate :)

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Actually I am in the same boat Lenaen - looking for the closed headphones that "does it all" :) I have the RE0 IEM which I love, but I hate wearing them during the cold weather for some reason despite swapping and trying different tips. Anyway...

I listen mainly on my commute to work, and also on business trips (so long flights, hotel rooms) and sometimes at the office and at home, so which ever headphone I get needs:

- To have decent isolation and not minimal sound leakage
- be quite forgiving of 192Kbps recordings, but also handle lossless well too
- work without an amp (though the Fiio E5 does a pretty good job and isnt too cumbersome)
- be comfortable for 2 hour+ sessions
- not look ridiculously massive on my head when I am on the train

Having spent ages lurking on HeadFi and reading Joker's amazing shoot-oout, I have been looking at the M50 and the Senn HD25-1-ii ((but would probably need the Fiio for both). Hmm, the hunt continues and if anyone wants to weigh in with other suggestions, please do :)

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 6
So after doing some more reading I ended up going with the M50s. It seems like a fair number of people use them unamped and enjoy them thoroughly, though down the line I might pick up an E5 or something of about the same size.

I looked around at prices on the Shure and not much was coming up for less than retail ($150). If I get more into the 'phone scene I'll definitely check out the ES7s, although I'd have to buy something to not scratch the hell out of them.
wink_face.gif

Andrew, I didn't really care about massive headphones; there's things far crazier than that usually happening on the Chicago trains and most people at my school also have too much going on to bother with my choice of gear.
darthsmile.gif

If you're looking in the same price range as those Sennheisers, what about the AT ATH-ESW9As?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back