Bedroom equipment
Nov 12, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

procreate

500+ Head-Fier
I see a lot of folks have a "bedroom section" in their sig. You use a headset when you're in bed? While reading perhaps? Or do you even fall asleep while listening to music?

When I listen to music I can't fall asleep. And I'd be afraid to fall asleep with some of the gear I see in your sigs!

Anyhoo, I always use the TV to help me sleep. Gets me there every time.

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 24
My bedroom equipment consists of a fan that's constantly on at low speed. I have mild tinnitus and have trouble falling asleep otherwise.

I used to sleep in front of the TV, too. The ~15 kHz tone that the CRT generates is very close to my internal ringing. Perhaps I watched too much TV as a child?
icon10.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 24
You place all of your gear on some sort of stand or table near your bed. You then bring your headphones to the bed while keeping the rest of the gear on the stand. You then listen in the comfort of your own bed. Whether you listen until you get sleepy and then take off your cans, or just fall asleep with them running is up to you. You don't even have to go to sleep afterwards if you want (Say you just want to listen to some music but aren't sleepy; what place is more comfortable than your own bed?)

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 24
I've heard speculation that doing other activities in bed besides sleeping can cause your body to forget that the bed is meant for sleep. I used to do homework in bed and found this to be true... When I went to bed, I couldn't get to sleep because it wasn't a relaxing place.

Music is different because it can cause sleepiness, but I've also found that if I listen to music before sleep every night, I have difficulty falling to sleep without music.

I guess it's a matter of repetition affecting connotation.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 24
Only just yesterday I setup a bed rig. I dug out my old RS45 wireless headphones, which are far better than I ever remember them being. Setup an ipod playlist, usually audiobook, and lie back on the bed. None of my headphones could reach to my bed before and I found my earbuds uncomfortable laying down.

Hooray for bed rigs!
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 24
Please keep it squeeky clean, folks!

The thread title may well bring out the worst posting behaviour in some otherwise rather lovely people. Should that happen, then unfortunately, it won't last long.

I've tried all sorts of headphone rigs in my bedroom, but find that when it's time to sleep it's time to sleep. My favorite setup is my UE 10-Pro with a 10 foot cord out of my Trivoli Model 3 alarm clock. Nice sound, especially with a local radio station that plays mostly trance/house types of music. I've got the optional 2nd speaker for the Trivoli, so even without using the UEs, I still get an excellent sounding radio in stereo. I listen this way a lot in the mornings when I don't feel like getting out of bed, or when I'm going through the 3S routine in the adjoining bathroom.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 24
my bedroom rig consists of an old 13" tv and a dvd player, pop in a movie i'm familiar with and it helps clear my mind of all the BS going on in life and i'm out like a light within 10 minutes

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 24
Squeaky clean? Hey, I wash my bowls every week or so. It helps to keep them soft, too.

As for the bedside setup, I found that the HeadFive is a perfect companion. It's just the right size for the nightstand and I have it jacked into the SACD player. I usually listen to jazz or classical with a K-501 or DT880. Both are super comfortable. I freaked out the first time I fell asleep with headphones on because I thought I'd break them. But that hasn't happened.

Also, I recommend cranking the volume down if you plan to or might fall asleep with headphones on. Your ears can still be damaged if you hear loud noises while asleep, so it's important to make sure the volume is low.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 24
My bedroom equipment consists of a large industrial strength fan. I cannot sleep without it.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 24
Roku 500 > Sangean WR-2. I usually connect the PX100 or 81DJ to the headphone out of the Sangean, or use the speaker in it. It has a great warm sound.
Roku is fed with firefly until rokulabs releases a new firmware compatible directly with itunes 7.
Lionel
bedroom.jpg

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 24
I love falling asleep to music through headphones. I now do it on the sofa!
icon10.gif

I had a bedroom rig at one time. It was stolen, but it consisted of a Denon mini system with an old JMT amp and either my Beyer DT250's or Koss 25's. Either of which would put me to sleep in short order. But, I always woke up after a while and would have to turn on the fan to sleep the whole night. I ended up using speakers so that I could leave the fan on, and only half wake up when the music stopped.
I really miss having music to sleep by.
mad.gif

The nice thing about living alone is I can sleep on the sofa whenever I feel like it.
cool.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 24
this is a bit different but..well..

i dont know why but track #3 on octavarium, dream theater album, makes me fall asleep...

i just like to fall asleep with that particular track.. it is like my sleeping track
plainface.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Please keep it squeeky clean, folks!

The thread title may well bring out the worst posting behaviour in some otherwise rather lovely people. Should that happen, then unfortunately, it won't last long.

Especially with the OP's name

My main rig is my bedroom one. To me, it is nice being able to fall asleep while listening to music but normally I do not. Also, my bed is so comfortable and it is easier to be in darkness (preferred for my experience)

Nov 13, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 24
My nightstand rig consists of:

Philips DVP642 via coaxial out to Lite Dac-Ah via BJC RCA to RCA to Heed CanAmp or Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 modded by PinkFloyd (soon to arrive
biggrin.gif
) driving either an AKG K701 or Beyer DT990 (2005, 250 ohm version). But I usually just listen for about 20 to 30 min before I turn it off and really go to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back