Beck - Sea Change
Jun 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #31 of 45
This has been one of my favorites since I bought my first good pair of headphones, and it just keeps getting better. What's your favorite songs? Mine would have to be "Paper Tigers" or "Side of the Road." Funny thing is I didn't really like "Side of the Road" until I got the good headphones.

As for Guero and The Information, I think Guero is pretty good. Information, not so much.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #32 of 45
I think my two favorites are "Little One" and "Already Dead"... The surround mix in "Little One" is just huge and crammed with details--I especially love the dog howl and evil shipcrew moans. The whole song sounds like it's being sung over the sea.

"Already Dead" has some of the best complementary doubled acoustic guitar work I've ever heard, and it's actually quite difficult to play.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #33 of 45
'Sunday Sun' FTW
eggosmile.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #35 of 45
Me too. Own it on Redbook, DVD-A and SACD. Wanted to compare them to see which I liked the best, and kept them all.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #36 of 45
Love it too! I used to play the SACD as a test disc when doing A/B/C/D comparisons between headphones, amps, tube configurations, CD players, cables, you name it.

Then one day I said to myself, "No wait a minute! This could be like mom's pork chops." You see, I used to love them so much that I'd want her to make them every day, until one day I just got totally suck of them, and have never been able to eat them again (and we're talking about 30 years since I've had them!).

I decided that Sea Change was just too good to use as a test disc. It was a perfect test disc, really, because it allowed me to distinguish all sort of microdynamics. But I didn't want to ruin the experience so I put it back on the shelf. Maybe it's time to pop it in again!

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love it too! I used to play the SACD as a test disc when doing A/B/C/D comparisons between headphones, amps, tube configurations, CD players, cables, you name it.

Then one day I said to myself, "No wait a minute! This could be like mom's pork chops." You see, I used to love them so much that I'd want her to make them every day, until one day I just got totally suck of them, and have never been able to eat them again (and we're talking about 30 years since I've had them!).

I decided that Sea Change was just too good to use as a test disc. It was a perfect test disc, really, because it allowed me to distinguish all sort of microdynamics. But I didn't want to ruin the experience so I put it back on the shelf. Maybe it's time to pop it in again!

Good thinking. I've done the same with Dave Brubeck's Time Out. It doesn't get any better recording-wize for SACD, but I didn't want to ruin the musical experience, so I don't use it to test anymore.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thinking. I've done the same with Dave Brubeck's Time Out. It doesn't get any better recording-wize for SACD, but I didn't want to ruin the musical experience, so I don't use it to test anymore.

Man, I better stop listening to Time Out so much, I'm gonna wear it out in my mind!

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #40 of 45
Wow. I am happy to see that so many other Head-Fi'ers appreciate this album. Just recently getting into the Head-Fi scene, I was listening to Sea Change and realized how much of a difference good headphones make. Happy to know that this applies to everyone else as well.

Thanks much,

Mr00000

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greeeeat album. I'll throw in a vote for the DVD-A. A worthy addition to the SACD, with some included videos that are actually worth watching and fit the music well (IMO).

Anyone agree that the DVD-A is worth getting if: 1.) you already have the SACD, and 2.) the video content is not a factor?

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #44 of 45
Definitely in. "Sea Change" is my favorite Beck album, and one of my all-time favorites, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back