Beck - Sea Change MFSL
Jun 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #31 of 59
What a great album - I've been binging on it all week, every night.

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a great album - I've been binging on it all week, every night.

How doe's it compare to the original CD version ?

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did as well... Was back ordered forever. I just got it from music direct. Sounds really good. Never heard the original though.

Did you ever hear the SACD version?

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How doe's it compare to the original CD version ?

I'm listening to the original CD version, via Apple Lossless files. Sounds fantastic, as you know.
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to the original CD version, via Apple Lossless files. Sounds fantastic, as you know.
beerchug.gif

Sorry TubeStack, Thought you had the MFSL edition,

CD Universe are selling this ( not shipping until 30 June ) for $23.99 + $6.99 postage to Spain. Anyone seen it cheaper than that !!!

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #38 of 59
I agree that a MFSL for this album sounds a bit redundant, as the original redbook sounds pretty darn good. There are a few moments where the original gets kinda rough, like the ending of Lonesome Tears where I think I can even detect a little clipping. The SACD version that I sampled sounded slightly better though, so there is some improvement to be had here, especially on the before mentioned track. I will have to try this one before I buy.

There was mention of them doing Odelay earlier in the thread, but I can't seem to find any more info on that release. Now that one I would buy in a heartbeat.

Edit aka found a "trial copy" which was easier than I thought.
I'm giving some select tracks a good run, and it does sound cleaner and airier (if that's the word) than the original release. The slight clipping I normally hear in Lonesome Tears is completely absent on the MFSL release, as should be expected. Some of the track lengths are different as well, with Paper Tiger having something of an extended beginning with an extra 3-4 seconds at the beginning. It is much, much quieter than the regular release; I'd say by a good 10dB on the average. The average bitrate on the original release in FLAC is 897, while the MFSL average is 799, and that's including the extra track Ship in the Bottle that's only on the new release. It's a strange little track that I don't think entirely belongs with the rest, but it's a nice addition regardless. I'm gonna give it a good critical listen after I log off, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's worth the extra money if you already own the original. Just my $0.02.

Edit 2
Already Dead has a totally different opening, where they added a good 20 seconds to the beginning. That was a pretty cool opening actually.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #39 of 59
Just received this CD today , I reckon its worth the wait for this album. I don't have the original CD of sea change to compare to this MFSL version. But listening to this CD on its own, the sound is fantastic.

Soundstage/headstage on this MFSL version is very 3D and one of the widest soundstage I've heard on a recording via an balanced system. Great recording for testing or show-off the soundstage/headstage capability of an balanced system...

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #40 of 59
Definitely hearing improvements here. I was very skeptical about this release and didn't expect much. But I am surprised and really pleased. Paper Tiger is where things really start to stand out. The background is blacker, the voice is softer and almost in your head, and the strings have much more warmth and presence and the overall experience is definitely better. Some of the effects and background details are a little more obvious. Even if you take just his voice and forget everything else, I have a feeling it sounds more natural on the MFSL disc.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundstage/headstage on this MFSL version is very 3D and one of the widest soundstage I've heard on a recording via an balanced system. Great recording for testing or show-off the soundstage/headstage capability of an balanced system...

So that's what I'm missing on these Grados of mine. Curse you and your Sennheisers!
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #42 of 59
My copy is ordered !!! Strange how some places are shipping now and others June 30th.

This will be my third copy of the album, I have the original CD and the Vinyl, but the MFSL is a must.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #43 of 59
I was in the park of "wow, the CD doesn't sound that bad, why did they need to remaster it?"

Now listing to it, I understand why they did it. There is so many layers that are hidden in the mix on the cd, there are instruments in "The Golden Age" that I didn't even know were there.

However, is it worth the money? Hard call to make. I'd say, if it's your favorite beck album do it. Otherwise, you should be ok with the original release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back