Beck - Sea Change MFSL
Oct 21, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #47 of 59
flame on, but i just can't get over the fact that he's a Scientologist.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do you care what religion he follows?

that's a discussion we just can't have here. but i think there are valid reasons. on a more general level it speaks to the age-old debate of whether one can or should see the art apart from the artist.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #51 of 59
Thanks to whoever bumped this thread, inspired me to put on my first and only (so far) MFSL disc. Just listening to some HD555s right now, but it sounds pretty damn good to me, so whatever. Good album.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #53 of 59
I've listened to the MFSL CD a few times now. I have no other version to compare it with, but I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by the sound quality. Don't get me wrong - it's overall a very good sound, just not quite as brilliant as I was expecting based on on comments from this and SH's forum.

The soundstage is impressive, but what let's it down for me is a slight upper mid/lower treble "sheen" which give his voice and some of the background a thin quality. A bit "hifi" rather than a natural, lifelike sound. From the few other MFSL's I've heard, that is not a characteristic of MFSL remasters in general, so maybe it's in the original recording.

I repeat, it's still overall a very good sound, so don't go cancelling your orders. Just don't expect perfection.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #56 of 59
Ok, at least on my table vs my apogee duet as source, the CD is a LOT brighter than the LP. They both sound good, but the LP is lush and the CD is brilliant, to sum up in a word.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #57 of 59
The MoFi CD sounds terrific! The sound quality of this mastering coupled with my AD900 is outstanding. It reminded me of when I went to the NorCal Head-Fi meet, but forget to bring any of my own music for auditioning. I spent half the time listening to DCC versions of music I owned, so I didn't always get a good sense of whether it was all the headphones or the music that was sounding superb. I didn't mind though - I was having too much fun...

Thank you guys again for the heads up.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #59 of 59
I love this album but was seriously let down by the 1st vinyl treatment. I remember being very excited to finally be able to play this record on my turntable only to find a slightly warped, crackly, brick wall compressed piece of garbage. It made me give up on the record. I was second guessing the intentions of it's production. How could they do that to that record! Well thank god for the MFSL folks cause they've righted the wrongs and have given this album new life. Those that are questioning getting it on vinyl please waste no more time and get this NOW! plus you can probably sell the old one for about the price as based on 1st press status cuckerie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back