Because Society Doesn't Allow It
Jul 14, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #31 of 75
I'm 18 and I know exactly what you're talking about. Too many of my friends put crappy sub's in their cars, blare their music, and try to act tough in that way. I bought a pair of dt770's today since my room is too noisy and I don't want to hear it all with my grados, or go deaf from making them too noisy. I told a few friends that I was happy I had just ordered them and they teased me about it. I also had a friend talk to me about speakers recently and when i went into depth about the choices he told me he didnt care about how they sounded, he just wanted loud.

My friends are idiots. lol

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dye1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also had a friend talk to me about speakers recently and when i went into depth about the choices he told me he didnt care about how they sounded, he just wanted loud.

Unfortunately that's the latest trend. There's a good thread or two over in the General Discussion section about the "loudness wars" in pop music. Everyone is trying to be louder, even at the expense of quality. That plus kids want the loudest stereo. It's not even the loudness that bothers me as much as quality. I can't stand being next to a car with the rattling of an improperly installed speaker. It's just sad that people listen to crap and accept it.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #33 of 75
I cant stand it, a kid I know has an M5 and is putting VERY heavy speakers into it that don't even sound good. The last thing a real performance car owner would want would be more weight

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #34 of 75
you can most likely stick them in deeper, especially if you change their tips.

mine can hardly be seen if i do put them in. for ultra deep insertion AND health benefits, use olive oil

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High school is really just a process. You'll make many worthwhile friends in college that will stick unlike hs, partly because people tend to mature a bit. Which college are you going to?

My sister said that too. But she also said the same thing about junior year in high school when she was a junior in high school and senior year in high school when she was a senior in high school. Sooo I don't really give a rat's ass about what she says now haha. My brother, who just graduated from college, told me that although college should have older and more mature people, no matter what environment I'm in, for example, college, or even after college, there will still be a fairly large amount of immature ******** around you. Or me.

Well, I guess that at least there will be a drastically smaller amount of immature ******** in college than in high school, so you're right.

I've been accepted to UC Irvine and UC Santa Cruz, but I decided to go to DeAnza (community college) for two years, then transfer to a music conservatory. I decided to do this because I need to stay in this area so that I can still take saxophone lessons with my current teacher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you've been through a lot. If growing out your hair gives you more self esteem, more confidence then do it, but other than that your really just hiding what you really are, an audiophile. In this society you can never be liked if you don't go with the "norm." It's just human nature. If you try to be different your going to be treated different. I myself am a lamb to society, I go with the flow, I don't wear full size headphones out in public, only ear canal headphones, I don't really feel the need to, it's not worth the negative comments. That's just how I feel, some people think that's wrong and you should just be yourself. But when people start giving you negative feedback constantly, you will go crazy, subconsciously and consciously. I've seen a few cases on these forums.

You seem really worried about your hearing. I don't know what you do and how you live, but your environment can't be that noisy. I live in the city and that is as loud as it gets. If you really did care about your hearing that much, then you wouldn't do anything to damage them in the first place. I know that sometimes you might need the earplugs but being paranoid is not a good way to go through life. As for me using earplugs, I only use them at home so that I can study and do my homework and occasionally some concerts. Wearing them 24/7 isn't natural, your ears are designed to take in noise, let them.

If earplugs make it that much harder for me to make or keep friends, or even girlfriends, then growing out my hair to conceal my earplugs is definitely worth it to avoid making it harder for myself.

The reason why I would need to wear earplugs often is because I'm a musician. During high school I played in the marching, symphonic, and jazz band. I also practiced and still practice at home. The saxophone can get pretty loud. After warmup, my ears are usually already ringing (just a little bit). All of these activities can have sound pressure levels higher than 100 dB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now would be a good time to go into audiology and open a hearing aid shop. With the baby boomer generations getting older plus the younger generations are definately going to need these services-at a younger age than ever thanks to these loud ibuds and clubs/bars.

It's insane!! I've seen some YOUNG kids with ipods/headphones, more lately than ever. And especially if they're using crappy open earbuds and using loud levels, they're gonna have damaged ears around thirty at least.

You should see the school buses. They don't have sound insulation of any type; during the ride, noise from the bus/road is usually around 70 or 80 dB. Kids with their iPods or even cheap cd players would crank up the volume in their cheap, non-isolating ibuds/earbuds (I just KNOW that they aren't pk1's
wink.gif
) The volume on the iPod would be 100%, no volume lock. And this is in the U.S., so there's no European volume limitation on the iPods. Sometimes when I try to communicate to one of these classmates of mine, they do not respond. At all. ... Because they cannot hear me. Or anything. They're blasting their music to such loud volumes that I can hear their music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, **** what society thinks of you, especially if said "society" happens to be high school. As someone else said, high school is just a process, and once you're done with it, you won't be in that environment ever again, so don't sweat it if idiots give you a hard time.

Of course, that's easier said than done, but still, if your so-called "friends" abandon you because you care about your hearing, then maybe you need some new friends.

At some point in their lives, people actually figure out that being "normal" is pretty boring, so they get into whatever they can get their hands on... yoga, martial arts, bizarre philosophies and religions, basically anything to distract themselves from the oppressive norm of our consumerist, suburban shell-shocked society. So, being normal becomes a lot less important and being quirky and non-conformist becomes a lot more socially acceptable.

Having said that, wearing headphones of any kind in public where you're expected to be open to communication is pretty anti-social, and wearing earplugs in the same setting would probably be seen as even more anti-social, so there is reason for their behavior - if not for the way in which they confronted you about it.

At a time, I tried to disregard what others said and wear my earplugs anyway, but since there was no one who would actually accept them, I realized that I would have no friends if I continued on.

Sure, people can get into other hobbies to break away from the norm, but hobbies are respected, while earplugs look weird. Or maybe I'm wrong... But that's just the way I see it right now. It's kind of the same with kids my age. They respect my interest in audio, and even revel in it; however, it was these same people who teased me about the earplugs.

You hit the nail right on the head when you said that earplugs appear to others to be antisocial. However, hypothetically, if enough awareness was spread about hearing protection and accurate musicians' earplugs (like the ER-20), then people wouldn't have a problem with earplugs in the seemingly antisocial aspect of it.

Sorry, my english is getting really bad 'cause it's getting really late. I'm tired, but I CAN'T SLEEP.

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can most likely stick them in deeper, especially if you change their tips.

mine can hardly be seen if i do put them in. for ultra deep insertion AND health benefits, use olive oil

I haven't told you guys about one bit:

Before I started the thread, I dissassembled my ER-20s, every last piece. I sanded down the outer plastic cap by 1/4 of an inch (underwater, so that the plastic would stay cool enough not to melt and warp, and so that the plastic powder would be caught in the water), and I cut off the same amount off the eartips' stems. I also put a thin coat of olive oil on the flanges. Now you can't see them in my ears unless you are at my 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock (a.k.a. directly to my left or right). And to prevent that from happening, I grew out my hair.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #36 of 75
I still can't get over the fact anyone would not want to be your friend because you wore earplugs. Where exactly did you wear them that anyone saw them? If you wore them for band practice, that would make sense to me. Band practice can be pretty loud. We could hear our band inside the building even though they practiced far out in the parking lot.

---------------------------------

I believe it! On my campus I see so many ibuds it's unbelieveable!! And you can hear the tssst tssst tssk tssst of the music(usually hip hop) from far away. Honestly, I couldn't stand something that loud by my ears. And there still are some immature ******** in college, not like high school, but they'll always be around. That's what IEMs are for: ******* filters!!

-------------------------------------

Personally(not to be mean or anyhting) I wouldn't change my appearances for anyone. I've had my hair longer and it was a pain in the ass. Especially during the hot week in NE Ohio! LOL!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I'd just assume shave it off than deal with it. That's pretty much my attitude. I dress and do for ME, not for anyone else. To hell with them!! Fxck them!!! You'll meet better people in college. People who will accept your earplugs or not even give a s**t.

FWIW, all of the BS in highschool is meaningless. I remember our stupid dress code and the principal who was worried about how long girls skirts were or what kind of flip flops they wore or even punishing a guy for wearing a Hooters shirt. In college, almost anything goes and it doesn't matter. High school is full of drama. And it's all bulls***!!!!

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #37 of 75
Just wear the ear protection, and ignore those who talk bad about it.
Then get even with them when they are in their 50's and don't hear you, cause they damaged their hearing in their younger days.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #38 of 75
Forget about society, wearing ear protections while listening to a loud concert or loud noises is an intelligent thing, but i'm afraid i didn't understand...you wear earplugs even at school ? If so don't you thnk you have become a little paranoid ? In order to damage your hearing a sound must be VERY loud, a rock concert, industrial machinery , a train whistle ,etc. ...i don't think you are exposed to noises so loud every day ?

But then again...i have probably misunderstood your post
wink.gif

In case you wear plugs only when exposed to potentially harming noises...if your "friends" do make laugh of you even in those few situations, they are truly a bunch of immature kids...

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If earplugs make it that much harder for me to make or keep friends, or even girlfriends, then growing out my hair to conceal my earplugs is definitely worth it to avoid making it harder for myself.

Another way of looking at it:
If people don't wanna be with you because of your earplugs, are they really worth it?? I don't think so. "Real" people should take you for what you are and respect your desire to wear those plugs.
It's hard at times to stand outside the masses, I've done so all my life, getting picked at at highschool and even now, but it always drove me more to not blend in with the crowd, think for your own, choose for your own.
It's hard because everyone wants to feel like they are part of something, a group that respects you and likes you for what you are, but you can only reach that if you are what you are.
And trust me, people will notice and you'll have (girl)friends and experiences that are more awesome and powerful than "those people" can only dream of. My mom always used to say when I felt bad when getting picked on, or people didn't like me (at first glance), They are just jealous at you because you do something they're scared of doing but deep inside want to do.

Sorry for the long rant but I hope you get my point
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #40 of 75
Quote:

Sorry, my english is getting really bad 'cause it's getting really late. I'm tired, but I CAN'T SLEEP.

Off Topic: Sleep is overrated
smily_headphones1.gif

On topic: I think wearing ear protection is a great idea if you're around loud things, but not so much if you're always wearing them. I like the concept though
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #41 of 75
I like twisting words..
I'd say..
Ah, but you see. Who defined manliness? No one has an exact definition of manliness, true? According to my own definition, to be manly is to not look stupid in front of girls. Won't you agree? And if I didn't wear earplugs for (whatever situation), that'll look stupid because (whatever situation) damages my hearing. Damaging your own hearing is stupid. Thus, to not look stupid, wear earplugs. (Philosophical response)

Ngeaha. I love playing with words. Or you could just say..
At least I'm not stupid to not wear earplugs. (High school response)

Just ignore them (mature response)

No comment (Can't be bothered with their blablabla yadadada response)

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

I still can't get over the fact anyone would not want to be your friend because you wore earplugs. Where exactly did you wear them that anyone saw them? If you wore them for band practice, that would make sense to me. Band practice can be pretty loud. We could hear our band inside the building even though they practiced far out in the parking lot.

The thing is, nobody else in band wore earplugs. Ever. They're dumb.

And as for moments outside of band, when there is a rally going on at school, or when I'm practicing with my church band (unrelated to school) - when it gets LOUD (and I'm wearing my earplugs) - people still give me crap for it.

Quote:

FWIW, all of the BS in highschool is meaningless. I remember our stupid dress code and the principal who was worried about how long girls skirts were or what kind of flip flops they wore or even punishing a guy for wearing a Hooters shirt. In college, almost anything goes and it doesn't matter. High school is full of drama. And it's all bulls***!!!!

Hahaha... Even though you sound like you're exaggerating, everything you said about high school is pin-point accurate. I never tucked in my shirt. And I never wore a tie for mass. Looking forward to college life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget about society, wearing ear protections while listening to a loud concert or loud noises is an intelligent thing, but i'm afraid i didn't understand...you wear earplugs even at school ? If so don't you thnk you have become a little paranoid ? In order to damage your hearing a sound must be VERY loud, a rock concert, industrial machinery , a train whistle ,etc. ...i don't think you are exposed to noises so loud every day ?

wink.gif

In case you wear plugs only when exposed to potentially harming noises...if your "friends" do make laugh of you even in those few situations, they are truly a bunch of immature kids...

I only wear them during jazz, marching, and symphonic band rehearsals, during school rallies, and during church band practice.

Ignorance is bliss... for them, but not for me when they make fun of me for it.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #43 of 75
I used to think earplugs were stupid. At your age I went to an AC/DC concert and had tinitus for 2 days after. I thought I had permanently lost my hearing, it scared me no end. Thankfully my hearing came back.
It was the loudest concert I have ever been to and I realized why: most of the crowd were in their 40-50s and had lost their hearing from loud concerts and music. Since then, I always wear earplugs at concerts and keep my mp3-player's volume the same outside as inside.

Forget about the hooded shirt and the long hair to cover it up. Just wear the earplugs. Never mind what others say, if they don't care about you, why should you care about them? How does following their words improve your life?
Having hearing loss and having to shout "what?" all the time is not manly to the women I can assure you.

"To be yourself is all that you can do."

-Chris Cornell

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

I've worn earplugs in plenty of situations where they weren't strictly necessary to protect my hearing. I consider my sanity worth protection too, though...

I use IEMs at work now. What a lovely dose of sanity they are! Most people don't seem to be bothered by the random sounds of the cube farm (mostly conversations carried out at volumes that carry throughout the office), but it drives me bat**** insane. If I pause the music, I can still hold conversations, so I don't really see the problem, and the worst I've gotten is questions about how much I spend on audio equipment
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, that, and my boss likes to hang out behind me and surprise me.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_defensiveness for a probably more extreme example, but some people are uncomfortable with sounds and other stimuli that wouldn't bother most people.

I still wear earplugs to bed (a habit born from bad neighbors), and my girlfriend seems to understand. We have no trouble talking in bed, either
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I don't know if this is even part of what's going on with the OP, but I wanted to explain that there's reasons beyond paranoia over hearing loss to want to block out the outside environment. For some of us, it gets to be too much sometimes.

You could say some of us are control freaks over our own senses -- what's more manly than that?! (mostly kidding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back