Beautiful female vocals (recommendations)
Apr 3, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #108 of 171
Eva Cassidy - for me the best female vocal ever on Earth ...

Annie Lenox

Lizz Wright

Kari Bremnes

Janis Joplin

Billie Holiday

Nina Simone
Anne Sofie von Otter (classical)

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #110 of 171
Has anyone else checked out Emmy Rossum's cd Inside Out? she has a pretty amazing voice. She played the female lead in the new version of The Phantom of the Opera

Emmy-Inside_Out.JPG

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #111 of 171
Old school: Joni Mitchell "Blue" get the Steve Hoffman DCC edition. Unbelieveable SQ, mastering, and you will cry at the beauty of her close mic'ed voice I promise.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #112 of 171
Y'all are trippin'. I dare anyone to listen to 'A Woman Left Lonely' from Janis Joplin and not fall for her.

I'm shocked at the lack of love for Janis. Maybe it's just not cool to say she had (and still does) an intoxicating voice? There are many excellent choices on the list, but to not include Janis is a shame.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace,

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #113 of 171
I'll agree with you. Janis is like some other things - it's an unconventional kind of beauty, sort of like what Ornette Coleman was doing with harmolodics - redefining.

- Ed

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #114 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else checked out Emmy Rossum's cd Inside Out? she has a pretty amazing voice. She played the female lead in the new version of The Phantom of the Opera

Emmy-Inside_Out.JPG

I have her "Slow Me Down" track. Her style's not really cut from the same cloth as the usual music I listen to, but her breathy vocals and overall ethereal sound make for a nice change.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #115 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have her "Slow Me Down" track. Her style's not really cut from the same cloth as the usual music I listen to, but her breathy vocals and overall ethereal sound make for a nice change.

Yeah im not such a big fan of all the sampling going on myself. I found some live videos on youtube that i liked quite a bit more when its just her singing. I just think its weird how much different she sounds than she did on phantom of the opera.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #116 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Y'all are trippin'. I dare anyone to listen to 'A Woman Left Lonely' from Janis Joplin and not fall for her.

I'm shocked at the lack of love for Janis. Maybe it's just not cool to say she had (and still does) an intoxicating voice? There are many excellent choices on the list, but to not include Janis is a shame.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace,

Yea Man Janis is the greatest white blues singer ever.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #117 of 171
The most beautiful female vocals I enjoy are:
Alison Krauss
Cara Dillon
Heidi Talbot
Indigo Girls (Amy)
Joan Baez
Jonatha Brooke
Lisa Hannigan
Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh
Meg Hutchison
And last but not least Tracy Chapman- not beautiful but hey, she's involving!

May 3, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #118 of 171
x3 on Margo Timmins, she's been my FOTM for a few months now
happy_face1.gif

There's been so many great singers mentioned here already, but at least two are still missing; does anyone remember Basia Trzetrzelewska from the '80s group? Check out Time and Tide...

The great jazz vocalist Diane Schuur (Love Dance) definitely needs a mention here as well; Norah Jones, KD Lang, and Allison Krause are among my other faves.

May 3, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #119 of 171
Florence Welch (Florence and the machine) - Their Album - "Lungs", is probably one of the best I've ever heard. There are no bad/boring songs on it at all. Which for me is really rare and her voice is incredible.

May 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #120 of 171
Joan Armatrading
Martina Topley Bird (Tricky, Massive Attack, Solo)
Lauryn Hill
Erykah Badu
Neneh Cherry
Cassandra Wilson
Dianne Reeves
Amel Larrieux
Siobhan de Mare (Violet Indiana)
Lou Rhodes (Lamb)
Tracey Thorn (Everything But The Girl/Massive Attack)
Shara Nelson (Massive Attack)
Beth Gibbons (Portishead, nice solo album too)
Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil, Massive Attack)
Lhasa de Sela
Catherine A.D.

But this is one is SUPER SPECIAL......
YouTube - elsiane - Mend LIVE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back