Beats
Jun 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #91 of 112
I know there is that tiny difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLAC, but I don't really care about that difference enough to drastically change my setup. Most of the time when I listen to music it is to pass the time - when I'm commuting, doing assignments etc. As long as the sound quality is OK for my standards, whatever I'm doing at the time often takes precedence in how much I care about it.
I want the highest quality sound I possibly can get on the go... My only limiter being amplification and it being under 10-15 pounds. I personally don't use flac. I use 320kbps files. There isn't a big enough difference to justify the size of the file being 15 times bigger.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #92 of 112
OK... like the Beats Fanboy that I am, I just hustled myself to my nearby Apple store to buy the cb3723-endorsed Beats Solo2.  The journey was most pleasant, as my 2013 FIAT 500 Abarth is outfitted with the Beats Audio premium sound system, my first exposure to Beats.

When I got there, I asked...

They did not have the Beats Solo2 yet.

They Did Not Have Them Yet.

THEY.  DID. NOT. HAVE. THEM!

So I listened to the original Beats Solo HD in consolation, deciding that they did not have enough bass.

Next to them were the Beats MIXR... much better bass -- I'd buy them in consolation, but I really did want to wait for the new Beats Solo2.

But... THEY DID NOT HAVE THEM!

So here I am back under my HE-500s that arrived today, listening to Tori Amos "I Don't Like Mondays" and now understanding why... Today is MONDAY!

Oh no! :eek:

But hey - HE-500 is some conciliation prize though? :cool: :D

I'm sorry your store didn't have the solo2's for you to audition though :mad:

Beats in car stereo is pretty darn cool though :cool:

I've gotta stop ending sentences with "though", though...

D'OH!

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #93 of 112
cb3723... more accurately, I TRIED to buy the Beats Solo 2.  The Apple store had not gotten them yet.  All based on your comments plus my love of Beats!  And for me, ANC is a minus not a plus... I don't need it, it adds cost, and it messes up the headphone frequency response.

It's still worth trying them out - not to buy - just to experience the world as you know it go into mute - it's pretty cool - can't believe your store didn't have stock of new solo2's - they need to get their act together already - I mean - what would Dre say of he found out?

After all, the big guys on Apples pay roll now :D

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #94 of 112
not exactly... I find that there is a minute difference between 320kbps files and flac. It doesn't make as big of a difference as most people on this site make it out to be imo... PLUS I LOVE HEDPWNS. I just carry around cumbersome equipment 'ERRYWHERE. 10 foot headphone cable, 2 foot amp cable, amp, phone, and headphones...

lol - you're gonna be the guy using HIFIMAN HE-6 cans as a portable rig with the 10kg HIFIMAN EF-6 amp towed behind you on a trolley sitting on top of a diesel powered generator to power it all - aren't ya? :D

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #95 of 112
Right you are, my friend!

I'm never satisfied with "stock" consumer hardware/software. I have to add a bit of my own flair to everything I own :rolleyes:  

I've done a lot of modding with Beats ANC chips, too!

Wow, looking at your photos terrifies me - where do all the pieces go to go back together and still work? Lol :D

Are you some mad cap crazy tech fiend or whut? :cool: :wink:

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #96 of 112
I want the highest quality sound I possibly can get on the go... My only limiter being amplification and it being under 10-15 pounds. I personally don't use flac. I use 320kbps files. There isn't a big enough difference to justify the size of the file being 15 times bigger.

Is the rumour about you been a AKG super fanboy true? :D

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #97 of 112
Is the rumour about you been a AKG super fanboy true? :D
I wouldn't say fanboy. I would just say I like the sound of the k240's and leave it at that. Its not the only type of headphones I like... And, there's a portable amp that can drive the he-6's??? O.O I WANT.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #98 of 112
I think I've had enough of head-fi for one day... One person can only take so much fanboys, arguments, and headphones per day.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #99 of 112
I, too love to be different.  I do it by professing my admiration for Beats on a site that has so many members that think otherwise.

And yep... I DO have a headphone addiction.  But I do not have the time to sit in one place and listen, tethered by a cord, a preamp, an amplifier, vacuum tubes, a DAC, special cables, and a plug into the wall... I rely on portable audio setups.  In my case, smaller is better.  I have headphones that sound wonderful in my collection of two dozen, but that fall off my head if I am moving about, particularly bending over while cleaning or gardening.  None of my Beats, not even the relatively heavy Beats Pro, fall off while I am working while listening.

Beats excel when out on the streets for sure - no amp required, though if you listened to the prior model of solo's - the solo HD monochromatic (drenched in colour) cans and didn't have enough bass for your preference - then the solo2's might not be to your liking, but definitely give them an audition when your Apple store eventually gets stock - I'd be interested in your opinion on them, though I love the mini styled Studios that they are! :D

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #101 of 112
Wow, looking at your photos terrifies me - where do all the pieces go to go back together and still work? Lol
biggrin.gif

Are you some mad cap crazy tech fiend or whut?
cool.gif
wink.gif

They go where they originally were 
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #102 of 112
lol. I use akg k240's as my portable with an e11...
1382758414477.jpg

So, when you have these K812's, will you also use them as portable?
I'd be ****ting my pants if someone came uncomfortably close to me while wearing these.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #103 of 112
  So, when you have these K812's, will you also use them as portable?
I'd be ****ting my pants if someone came uncomfortably close to me while wearing these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back