Beats Studio3
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #616 of 904
In comparison to the Beats, Bose QC35 II has:
- more neutral / balanced sound
- better bass extension and treble extension (would you ever imagine that a Beats headphone lacks sub bass? :p)
- much bigger soundstage
- much more comfortable
- better ANC that has actually had different modes (beats is only on or off)

I guess the only advantage that Beats has is the W1 chip?

Do not see a reason to buy the Beats Studio headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #617 of 904
Maybe the hype here wasn’t totally unjustified, just misdirected at the Studio3:

Apple is working on releasing high-end wireless over-ear headphones under its own branding with an “all-new design” “as convenient as AirPods.”

I truly believe this will be the best wireless headphone on the market. Apple has created a team of the best audio engineers in the world, and over-ear headphones are a way to really let that show.

Like AirPods, I predict their over-ear headphones will be years ahead of the competition. Pure innovation... Already can’t wait.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/25/kgi-apple-over-ear-headphones/

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #619 of 904
Maybe the hype here wasn’t totally unjustified, just misdirected at the Studio3:

Apple is working on releasing high-end wireless over-ear headphones under its own branding with an “all-new design” “as convenient as AirPods.”

I truly believe this will be the best wireless headphone on the market. Apple has created a team of the best audio engineers in the world, and over-ear headphones are a way to really let that show.

Like AirPods, I predict their over-ear headphones will be years ahead of the competition. Pure innovation... Already can’t wait.

The Beats Studio 3 is the most overhyped product of 2017 imo. People were even saying that these compare to the HD 800 I believe? Good joke. Even the Bose QC35 II kills it and many audiophiles say Bose are bad headphones :p

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #620 of 904

Yup. Looks like Apple is kicking it into high gear with audio products. I won’t be getting all super hype for these since I have some really really nice cans but I’m an apple fanboy and will probably get them.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #621 of 904
Yup. Looks like Apple is kicking it into high gear with audio products. I won’t be getting all super hype for these since I have some really really nice cans but I’m an apple fanboy and will probably get them.

I don’t expect audiophiles to give up their collection over it, but Apple definitely has the resources to make the best-sounding wireless headphones on the market. As it stands there is really no wireless headphone that checks every box for me (I’ve tried many).

If the focus is on purely high-end sound quality in an over-ear package with the “convenience of AirPods” that product could honestly be a turning point for the headphone industry. Hypothetically, Apple could create a wireless over-ear headphone with 50-100+ hours of battery life capable of streaming AAC/FLAC/Apple Lossless that sounds as good as the best wired headphones on the market and obsolete most headphones. Considering we are talking about Apple, that’s not totally implausible.

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #622 of 904
Given Apple seems stuck on 256kbps files in apple music and 250 kbps AAC bluetooth how good could these headphones get really?

Cannot see apple catering for other music services so everything they do will assume use of apple music I'd think.

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #623 of 904
Given Apple seems stuck on 256kbps files in apple music and 250 kbps AAC bluetooth how good could these headphones get really?

Cannot see apple catering for other music services so everything they do will assume use of apple music I'd think.

They do support AirPlay with HomePod, which allows for streaming FLAC and Apple Lossless. I’ve been curious to see headphones that also support AirPlay, and I think it’s a possibility we will see it here.

Apple’s AAC Bluetooth is 264kbps and works well for Apple Music.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #624 of 904
I thought BT AAC was capped at 250, I guess 264 is better!

Maybe Apple has plans to go higher res with Apple Music? If not then flac or apple lossless over AirPlay is pretty pointless.

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #625 of 904
I thought BT AAC was capped at 250, I guess 264 is better!

Maybe Apple has plans to go higher res with Apple Music? If not then flac or apple lossless over AirPlay is pretty pointless.

I think they will for a number of reasons:

1) Quality, obviously.

2) They can charge a higher rate for subscriptions. I’d be happy paying $14.99/month as opposed to $9.99 for a regular subscription but even $19.99 like Tidal would be an easy way to double profits on millions of subscribers.

3) Marketing, marketing, marketing! They can market the **** out of it as a new, better way to listen to music.

4) This ties in with marketing: new “high-fidelity” products. Now that everybody is happy with their wireless Beats, AirPods, etc. they can sell them new hi-fi tuned headphones capable of streaming Apple Lossless.

5) Devices like iPhone finally have the storage capacity to comfortably store lossless files.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #626 of 904
Shadow Gray is finally down as low as $249.99 and from a fashion perspective it’s tempting but I can’t get over how mediocre the Studio3 was for the price. Just a muddy sound with poorly-tuned bass and a lack of clarity in all frequencies. Not even good as a bass-boosted headphone since the bass is quite bad, unbalanced, and lacking by a few dB. Can’t get over how bad the fit was too for me personally for active use. Still very disappointed in Studio3. Never getting this hyped for a headphone again. I see where Beats gets its overpriced reputation from since I’m sure you could find a better wired headphone for ~ $100-$150.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #627 of 904
CE138CAB-2AC3-4100-B829-0FC9FE62D8C1.jpeg

If they made the bass region flat from 20Hz rather than rolling off the low-bass, got rid of that absolutely atrocious low-mid bump that dominates the sound and makes the mids muddy, and maybe added a little more presence to the low-treble the Studio3 could have sounded quite good. It boggles my mind how a team of audio engineers at a multi-billion dollar company could release such a poorly-tuned headphone. Judging from FR alone this looks like it would be a cheap headphone found randomly in a department store.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #628 of 904
Same old story MichaelSD. For a lot of us in the real world for travel and office use, they work great. Bringing up wired headphones is a red herring. What’s the point of your post besides slagging them one more time?

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #629 of 904
Same old story MichaelSD. For a lot of us in the real world for travel and office use, they work great. Bringing up wired headphones is a red herring. What’s the point of your post besides slagging them one more time?

I brought it up again because I see the Shadow Gray on sale and am tempted to buy just for the design which I admittedly really like. I still really wish the sound was a lot better since the headphones have so much going for it on paper. (W1 chip, gorgeous design with Shadow Gray and Porcelain Rose, etc.) To be honest I’m still a bit bummed at how much I disliked the sound of Studio3 since I still find the headphones otherwise to be among the most desirable for certain uses.

I am glad that Studio3 has its niche here that does like them though. For the right user there’s a great blend of features, especially for somebody who needs ANC.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #630 of 904
Thankfully my review made it to the top ranking on many sites including Google Reviews so maybe Beats will learn and my feedback will influence their next generation of products.

While it’s unlikely, perhaps this line in particular inspired Apple’s AirPods team to begin development on over-ear headphones as recent reports suggested.

“Beats had the opportunity to change the headphone industry with their flagship wireless headphone much in the same way AirPods created a new category, but instead settled on complacency and mediocrity.”

Also: “Beats totally wasted their opportunity to create the first no-compromise over-ear wireless headphone while Apple’s W1 chip is still a year or two ahead of the competition in connection strength, reliability, and range.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back