Beats Studio3
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #571 of 904
WH-1000XM2 sounds very good, almost great though. Doesn't need any EQ whatsoever and with the amount of codecs it supports you get wire-level fidelity over Bluetooth no matter what you're listening to. Really the only reason to buy the Studio3 over it is for the design and W1 chip.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #572 of 904
WH-1000XM2 sounds very good, almost great though. Doesn't need any EQ whatsoever and with the amount of codecs it supports you get wire-level fidelity over Bluetooth no matter what you're listening to. Really the only reason to buy the Studio3 over it is for the design and W1 chip.
I had the Momentum 2.0 Wireless, but I returned them for a few reasons:
1) No AAC codec. As an Apple user, this is a MUST and does make a clear difference in overall fidelity. SBC vs. aptX on these cans makes a BIG difference. Using my LG G4 (at the time) vs. my iPhone 6s Plus (also, at the time), the sound was muddy with the iPhone but much better with the G4. Yes, it's definitely a warm headphone. An alternative with AAC is the B&W P7 Wireless, which I picked up instead which meets my needs (all about that bass, yo).
2) On my pair, the ear cup adjustment slider failed on one side after only a week. There was no longer any resistance, so I would size it out and then it would just slide back.

Overall, I thought they were nice headphones and they would be perfect if they added AAC and used a clicking/ratchet mechanism for adjustment. The ANC was decent, but as a plus, it did not omit much white noise.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #574 of 904
Also $249 at WalMart. Just called Target to see if they will price match WalMart today (extra 5% with Target Red Card) and they said yes. YMMV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beats-Studio3-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones-Matte-Black/56180487

I may have to pull the trigger and try them out myself, then return either these or the 1000XM2.

I just picked up the WI-1000X IEMs and they sound amazing. In fact, IMO, they sound better than the 1000XM2. Some may not know, but the WI-1000X have dual drivers, a 9mm dynamic and a balanced armature. It sounds REALLY GOOD. I also have the 1More Triple Driver IEM and I think the WI-1000X sounds better.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #575 of 904
Their sound quality fits in the $199 ANC segment so a $49 premium for the Beats brand isn’t bad for those still interested.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #576 of 904
I picked the 1000XM2 up for $299, but now the Sony h.ear on 2 (WH-900N) and Beats Studio3 are floating around at $249. I'll probably end up trying at least one of those out and comparing them to see if the $50 premium for the 1000XM2 is worth it.

Decisions, decisions!

If anyone has any additional feedback on either the Sony h.ear on 2 (WH-900N) and/or Beats Studio3 , that'd be welcome!

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #577 of 904
I picked the 1000XM2 up for $299, but now the Sony h.ear on 2 (WH-900N) and Beats Studio3 are floating around at $249. I'll probably end up trying at least one of those out and comparing them to see if the $50 premium for the 1000XM2 is worth it.

Decisions, decisions!

If anyone has any additional feedback on either the Sony h.ear on 2 (WH-900N) and/or Beats Studio3 , that'd be welcome!

From impressions I’ve seen the h.ear on 2 uses the same drivers as the 1000XM2 but manages to sound slightly better. The $50 premium is probably worth it though if you value better ANC and the additional features.

The 1000XM2 sounds better with cleaner mids, a more linear bass response, and fairly impressive imaging over the Studio3 with stronger ANC and better comfort. Studio3 does have a bump in the mid-bass that makes it funner for some songs but the 1000XM2 has a better overall bass response.

I’m actually selling a new open box pair of 1000XM2 for $269 and an additional Cyber Monday discount. If you’re interested PM me :).

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #578 of 904
Also $249 at WalMart. Just called Target to see if they will price match WalMart today (extra 5% with Target Red Card) and they said yes. YMMV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beats-Studio3-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones-Matte-Black/56180487

I may have to pull the trigger and try them out myself, then return either these or the 1000XM2.

I just picked up the WI-1000X IEMs and they sound amazing. In fact, IMO, they sound better than the 1000XM2. Some may not know, but the WI-1000X have dual drivers, a 9mm dynamic and a balanced armature. It sounds REALLY GOOD. I also have the 1More Triple Driver IEM and I think the WI-1000X sounds better.
Was interested in the 1000x iems, but 3 hour battery life really sucks.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #579 of 904
Was interested in the 1000x iems, but 3 hour battery life really sucks.

He's referring to the Sony WI-1000X (the neckband one) which gets up to 10 hours per charge with noise canceilng. You're probably thinking of the WF-1000X.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #580 of 904
He's referring to the Sony WI-1000X (the neckband one) which gets up to 10 hours per charge with noise canceilng. You're probably thinking of the WF-1000X.
Yep. I basically get a bit over 10 hours with ANC at 40% volume with the WI-1000X (neckband). The WF-1000X does only have a quoted 3 hour playtime, with a portable case that acts as a charger, which supposedly contains 2 additional full charges. This is only practical for city commuting vs. flying/traveling.

Looks like the Studio3s are back at $349. I didn't end up pulling the trigger and it looks like Sony held the 1000XM2 at $299, so with the Target 20% off coupon promo and a 5% Red Card discount, I'm going to price match (or just return and re-purchase) and can get these less than the h.ear on 2 ($249). If you have a Target coupon, it may be the time to get the 1000XM2 for a great price.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #581 of 904
Pulled the trigger on the WH-H900N (h.ear on 2). I have to say, I agree with the earlier impressions by Maukey when comparing it to the 1000XM2. The sound is cleaner and just tighter overall; it sounds "high-res". It's also a bit louder at the same volume level on my iPhone. I confirmed on Sony's website that the drivers are actually different. The h.ear on 2 has a Titanium Coated Driver, while the 1000XM2 uses Aluminum.

ANC is definitely stronger on the 1000XM2, probably by about 20% or so. I have a loud machine near me at work and the 1000XM2 virtually eliminates it completely, while the WH-H900N lets in about 15%-20% more. The ANC is still "good", but it's not class leading, although the white noise on the WH-H900N is lower than the 1000XM2. If you NEED the best ANC, the 1000XM2 is the way to go. The sound is still quite good, but I feel the WH-H900N is about the same percentage better (15%-20%) in the sound department over the 1000XM2. It really depends what's more important for a particular user.

The ear pads are improved over the 100ABN and are not thin and "wobbly". The mic placement is also better and results in better call quality.

The ear cups are also a bit bigger and deeper, so they are more comfortable for longer listening sessions.

Overall, I have to go with the WH-H900N over the 1000XM2, which is going back to Target today.
4.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #584 of 904
Well, I just got a pair of the Studio 3 as replacement for the previous model, and I have to say it's not as bad as people are making out in this thread. It's a little better than the Studio 2, and there's a nice resonance in the bass which works well with 808 drums. Neutral hifi it ain't, but it works for bassy genres of music. I just think expectations in this thread were so high, but we're never going to be met, that people were expecting a HD800 killer or something.

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #585 of 904
Well, I just got a pair of the Studio 3 as replacement for the previous model, and I have to say it's not as bad as people are making out in this thread. It's a little better than the Studio 2, and there's a nice resonance in the bass which works well with 808 drums. Neutral hifi it ain't, but it works for bassy genres of music. I just think expectations in this thread were so high, but we're never going to be met, that people were expecting a HD800 killer or something.
Interested in hearing your impressions vs. the Studio2 and your opinion on the cost to upgrade.

Also, how does it compare to the MDR-1ABT? I know those don't have ANC, but I wouldn't be looking at the Studio3 for ANC.

Oh, one more thing, the Studio2 had a somewhat "uneven" ANC implementation, in that one side was more "open" with white noise than the other. Another user reported the same imbalance and I was wondering if you noted that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back