Beats Studio3
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #556 of 904
I completely understand. On another note, you want to try the Sony H.ear On 2s! I don’t have time to write a full review, but know that the 1000XM2s are going back TODAY. The H.ear 2 is a louder, clearer, more detailed 1000XM2 with the same bass impact and extension although a bit tighter. It’s my new favorite Wireless ANC headphone. It doesn’t feel as premium as the 1000X, and it doesn’t perform quite as well in the ANC department, but the amazing sound signature won me over! And believe me, the ANC differences between it and the 1000X is minimal. The H.ear 2s sound signature is what the Beats Studio 3s should have been! Exciting, Full, Energetic, and Detailed! This headphone is amazing and is going to be a sleeper hit.
Have you listened to the 100ABNs? I was wondering how they compared to those. Also, does the EQ feature work for this model, not just bass adjustment?

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #557 of 904
Have you listened to the 100ABNs? I was wondering how they compared to those. Also, does the EQ feature work for this model, not just bass adjustment?
Unfortunately I've never heard the 100ABNs. As far as EQ goes, yes, the EQ feature in the Sony app works for these. I saw a few presets, as well as some custom options.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #558 of 904
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #559 of 904
I completely understand. On another note, you want to try the Sony H.ear On 2s! I don’t have time to write a full review, but know that the 1000XM2s are going back TODAY. The H.ear 2 is a louder, clearer, more detailed 1000XM2 with the same bass impact and extension although a bit tighter. It’s my new favorite Wireless ANC headphone. It doesn’t feel as premium as the 1000X, and it doesn’t perform quite as well in the ANC department, but the amazing sound signature won me over! And believe me, the ANC differences between it and the 1000X is minimal. The H.ear 2s sound signature is what the Beats Studio 3s should have been! Exciting, Full, Energetic, and Detailed! This headphone is amazing and is going to be a sleeper hit.

I actually got a great deal on the WH-1000XM2 that ended up being a no-brainer. Gotta say, I’m not immediately all that impressed. The specs are impressive but I was expecting more out of Sony. The fit is much better than the Studio3 but I’ve gotta say they’re comparable in driver quality. Bass boost is useless on the 1000XM2 as it distorts at above +5, and the audio begins distorting somewhere between 80-90%. (I’m listening with no EQ.) Even ANC quality is more comparable than I expected. The store demo colored my initial impressions as it usually does. I think that Beats with EQ could sound better than the 1000XM2 but the mid-range is a little too muddy on the Studio3 for me to declare one better than the other after only testing the 1000XM2 for a few hours.

The Momentum 2.0’s drivers and build are better than any ANC headphones I’ve tried. Just a shame it only supports SBC and aptX.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #560 of 904
I actually got a great deal on the WH-1000XM2 that ended up being a no-brainer. Gotta say, I’m not immediately all that impressed. The specs are impressive but I was expecting more out of Sony. The fit is much better than the Studio3 but I’ve gotta say they’re comparable in driver quality. Bass boost is useless on the 1000XM2 as it distorts at above +5, and the audio begins distorting somewhere between 80-90%. (I’m listening with no EQ.) Even ANC quality is more comparable than I expected. The store demo colored my initial impressions as it usually does. I think that Beats with EQ could sound better than the 1000XM2 but the mid-range is a little too muddy on the Studio3 for me to declare one better than the other after only testing the 1000XM2 for a few hours.

The Momentum 2.0’s drivers and build are better than any ANC headphones I’ve tried. Just a shame it only supports SBC and aptX.
That's really odd. I don't have any of the issues you described. In fact, I've never noticed distortion on any tracks and I'm rollin' with +8 Bass (iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Music). Admittedly, there's no way I ever cross 50% volume, as my job requires my hearing remain healthy, and frankly, that's just too loud for me (job or not). However, for giggles, I pumped it up to 100% at my current settings and it did not distort (had the headphones rested open-faced on the table in front of me).

Although there are mixed reviews on DSEE HX, I find it actually works and has a noticeable improvement on the sound, specifically extending the upper frequencies to extract a bit more audible nuance. (DSEE HX automatically turns off once the EQ is activated).

Based on the evidence I see, there could be a few things in play that may affect the end result:

1) Defective Unit.
2) Apple Music EQ is active.
3) Apple Music Sound Check is active.
4) Both 2 & 3 above.
5) A third party EQ app is active.

I find post-signal processing EQ apps can distort sound, while the Sony app seemingly directly adjusts the on-board DSP vs. processing the already post-processed signal a 2nd time.

This is my "FUN" EQ setting.

upload_2017-11-22_17-2-26.png

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #561 of 904
Tried the WH-1000XM2 again today and they are definitely better than the Studio3 in just about every way. Even telephone call and microphone clarity is impressive. The WH-1000XM2 is basically what I would've expected Studio3 to be with a touch more bass. They are quality wireless headphones.

^ They only distort with bass boosted in the Connected app I've found. No other EQ enabled.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #562 of 904
Tried the WH-1000XM2 again today and they are definitely better than the Studio3 in just about every way. Even telephone call and microphone clarity is impressive. The WH-1000XM2 is basically what I would've expected Studio3 to be with a touch more bass. They are quality wireless headphones.

^ They only distort with bass boosted in the Connected app I've found. No other EQ enabled.
Hmm, that's interesting. Do you wear glasses? If there is a break in the seal, that may drive the ANC circuitry haywire. However, Sony's ANC Optimization is supposed to fix this type of issue. Did you give that a shot?

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #563 of 904
Hmm, that's interesting. Do you wear glasses? If there is a break in the seal, that may drive the ANC circuitry haywire. However, Sony's ANC Optimization is supposed to fix this type of issue. Did you give that a shot?

I do. I'll definitely try the ANC Optimization again. I've noticed distortion even with ANC disabled so I'm not sure that's the case.

They sound really good with surprisingly good imaging, but I think the Momentum 2.0 is better overall so I don't think I'll keep the WH-1000XM2 even if the touch controls are intuitive and the specs are impressive. Plus Audeze's Black Friday sale just took up my headphone budget for the year (unless another deal comes along :wink:).

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #564 of 904
Having now tried all of the most popular wireless headphones besides the B&W PX, I can confidently say that the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0/HD1 Wireless has significantly better sound quality than any of its closest competitors. None have touched the bass response or clarity in the mid-range that Sennheiser brings to the table. The Momentum 2.0 Wireless is a master of all genres with the best build quality and adequate ANC.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #565 of 904
Having now tried all of the most popular wireless headphones besides the B&W PX, I can confidently say that the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0/HD1 Wireless has significantly better sound quality than any of its closest competitors. None have touched the bass response or clarity in the mid-range that Sennheiser brings to the table. The Momentum 2.0 Wireless is a master of all genres with the best build quality and adequate ANC.
Interesting. I will say that the Momentum 2.0 Wired are one of my all time favorite sounding portable headphones. Have never tried the Momentum 2.0 Wireless. I have now spent around a week with the most recent popular wireless headphones besides the B&W PX. I rank them in the following order:
1) Sony H.ear On 2 (Overall best sound quality and one of the best sound signatures I've heard on a portable headphone with ANC, all the same features of the 1000XM2 minus the sound optimizer, best value of the bunch)
2a) Beats Studio 3.0 Wireless (Very fun, energetic sound signature with improved clarity and detail over the Studio 2, W1 chip, by far the best bluetooth range, least amount of sound leakage, surprising ANC performance that handles sudden higher pitched noises the best)
2b) Bose QC35 II (Most comfortable, smoothest, most relaxing sound, sounds the most natural, sounds the best/clearest at lower volumes when compared to the others, can connect to two devices at the same time)
3) Sony 1000XM2 (The best ANC of the bunch, the most features, not a fan of it's sound signature, sounds the most muffled at lower volumes, bass is slightly too loose for my taste, lacking in the high/treble region)

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #566 of 904
Out of all the wireless eadphones I’ve tried, in terms of overall sound quality I’d rate it as:

1) Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
2) WH-1000XM2
3) Beats Solo3
4) Beats Studio3
5) Bose QC35 II
6) BeatsX
7) AirPods

Out of the 7, if I had to keep one it’d be the Solo3 but mainly because I can use them for the gym. Better sounding than the Studio3, incredibly stable for an active lifestyle, more isolating than even ANC headphones I’ve tried, while also being lightweight and portable with all of the W1 benefits.

Edited ranking.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #568 of 904
I think the Momentum Wireless sounds muddy. You obviously like your bass in large quantities.

The Momentum has a relatively small bass boost, it’s just nice and defined. I occasionally use a bass reducer EQ if I use the Momentum with a wire. I can do with or without a bass boost as long as the headphones sound good.

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #569 of 904
The Momentum has a relatively small bass boost, it’s just nice and defined. I occasionally use a bass reducer EQ if I use the Momentum with a wire. I can do with or without a bass boost as long as the headphones sound good.
I don't think the momentum bass is very well defined at all, it muddies up the rest of the spectrum quite badly. Inner fidelity thought so too. But eye of beholder and all that.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #570 of 904
I don't think the momentum bass is very well defined at all, it muddies up the rest of the spectrum quite badly. Inner fidelity thought so too. But eye of beholder and all that.

For a wireless headphone that only supports SBC and aptX that tiny bit of bass boost covers up its shortcomings. I actually find the upper mids super resolving for vocal/instrument clarity. Momentum Wireless is focused on bass and vocals with a present but veiled treble and it succeeds at that IMO. The treble is still fuller than the WH-1000XM2 and the bass is tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back