Beats Studio3
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #526 of 904
I thought it was just me! No lie, I ended up adjusting my Studio 3 to one notch extended. I also rotated the headband to the back of my head. When I did this, the sound became better and it fit more comfortably. Not that I wasn't happy with the sound before, but the sub bass became more audible and it appeared to my ears that the sound became more spacious. I agree with you in that the Studio 3s are the most picky headphones I've owned when it comes to how you wear them affecting sound quality.

On a side note, I sold my Bose QC35s and have been going with the 1000XM2 and the Studio 3. I'm not going to lie, a part of me is missing the QC35s. I'm back trying to decide if I'm going to swap anyone of these for the QC35 II. Decisions, decisions smh.
I wish they would just put the Studio3s on sale already. With all the adjusting, jumping up & down, doing backflips, and some David Lee Roth splits, just to get the Studio3s to a place where "happy" resides, $350 is a lot to ask. Especially since just last week (and Black Friday), the Studio2s were going for $159. Certainly, battery life and connection are better, but the Studio2s sound is arguably better (from what I've read) at less than half the price. The ANC also doesn't seem to be ground-breaking and sounds like it may use a better, yet still inexpensive, ANC chip. Like MICHAELSD stated earlier, the update just feels lazy. Either lower the price to make it a great value for consumers (and expanding the "Beats Army") or remake it from the ground up as a true premium headphone with top-notch fabrication and materials. If you look at the reviews, there are only 17 on Amazon and 18 on BestBuy, so people aren't excited about plopping down $350 when the Bose QC35 IIs and Sony 1000XM2s are available at the same price. Both the Bose and Sony feel more like "serious" headphones, while Beats seem to be in transition. Honestly, it almost feels like Beats does not have actual "engineers" or "R&D". Kind of like the janitor that has a title of "Sanitation Engineer". You know Sony and Bose have actual electrical engineers, etc.

Headphones are like food, we don't always want the same thing everyday. I have a pair of Sony XB950B1s I picked up last week for $98 (MSRP $199), and while they are not my analytical Sennheiser HD 600s, they hit hard and are fun to wear in the gym. I also have the Sony 1000XM2s and Bose QC 35s (1st Gen), so sometimes I'm in the mood for the smoother, more relaxing sound of the Bose, while there are other times I want the more engaging Sony.

Oh, and the other issue I wish they would address is their marketing. We all know they will go on sale, and not just $20 or so, but the price cut will be $70 - $100 for their first round of discounting. The Studio2s aren't REALLY $379 and the Solo3s aren't REALLY $299; those are the sucker's price. Their ACTUAL retail price is more like $249 and $219, which you can find frequently at most retailers. It's a bit insulting to me as a consumer that the MSRP for the Studio2s is still $379. You JUST discounted them to $159 (I went to BestBuy and there were still tons left, the stock was not moving) and post-sale, you're going back to $379? I think people are on to the sophomoric marketing strategy now. To me, this is pure hubris on the part of Beats.

Sorry, a bit of a rant here, but there are so many things they could do better that would actually make their business more successful, creating a win-win for the company and consumer!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #527 of 904
I wish they would just put the Studio3s on sale already. With all the adjusting, jumping up & down, doing backflips, and some David Lee Roth splits, just to get the Studio3s to a place where "happy" resides, $350 is a lot to ask. Especially since just last week (and Black Friday), the Studio2s were going for $159. Certainly, battery life and connection are better, but the Studio2s sound is arguably better (from what I've read) at less than half the price. The ANC also doesn't seem to be ground-breaking and sounds like it may use a better, yet still inexpensive, ANC chip. Like MICHAELSD stated earlier, the update just feels lazy. Either lower the price to make it a great value for consumers (and expanding the "Beats Army") or remake it from the ground up as a true premium headphone with top-notch fabrication and materials. If you look at the reviews, there are only 17 on Amazon and 18 on BestBuy, so people aren't excited about plopping down $350 when the Bose QC35 IIs and Sony 1000XM2s are available at the same price. Both the Bose and Sony feel more like "serious" headphones, while Beats seem to be in transition. Honestly, it almost feels like Beats does not have actual "engineers" or "R&D". Kind of like the janitor that has a title of "Sanitation Engineer". You know Sony and Bose have actual electrical engineers, etc.

Headphones are like food, we don't always want the same thing everyday. I have a pair of Sony XB950B1s I picked up last week for $98 (MSRP $199), and while they are not my analytical Sennheiser HD 600s, they hit hard and are fun to wear in the gym. I also have the Sony 1000XM2s and Bose QC 35s (1st Gen), so sometimes I'm in the mood for the smoother, more relaxing sound of the Bose, while there are other times I want the more engaging Sony.

Oh, and the other issue I wish they would address is their marketing. We all know they will go on sale, and not just $20 or so, but the price cut will be $70 - $100 for their first round of discounting. The Studio2s aren't REALLY $379 and the Solo3s aren't REALLY $299; those are the sucker's price. Their ACTUAL retail price is more like $249 and $219, which you can find frequently at most retailers. It's a bit insulting to me as a consumer that the MSRP for the Studio2s is still $379. You JUST discounted them to $159 (I went to BestBuy and there were still tons left, the stock was not moving) and post-sale, you're going back to $379? I think people are on to the sophomoric marketing strategy now. To me, this is pure hubris on the part of Beats.

Sorry, a bit of a rant here, but there are so many things they could do better that would actually make their business more successful, creating a win-win for the company and consumer!
I understand your thoughts on this. My thing is, what's actually hurting the Studio 3, is the Studio 2's. When people are going out to purchase the Beats Studios, they are seeing two versions, one for $349, and the other for $159 - $249. When they ask the sales associates what's different, most are probably saying, "longer battery life and better bluetooth range". The average consumer is probably not going to care about the sound quality differences. Combine that with the fact that both versions look identical, most are going to choose the Studio 2s. Hell, I would in that instance.

People seem to forget, despite the hate for Beats, the Studio 2 Wireless was the first headphone of it's kind. Or let me say in case I'm unaware, the first brand that the average person cares about. For a long time, it was the only good Wireless, ANC headphone on the market. You could get an ANC headphone, or a Wireless headphone, but not the two in one package. Since that time, many competitors have come out. This has put a lot of pressure on Apple to make a killer upgrade to it's Studio Wireless line. Now that the Studio 3 has been released, and people see only minor upgrades, I feel some people are being overly critical. When I look at the Beats Studio 3 and it's price point, it's actually priced fairly when you look at it's competition; mainly the Sony 1000XM2 and Bose QC35 II. It's wireless sound quality and features is comparable, and contrary to popular opinion, the Studio 3's ANC has improved and is just behind the other 2. I do feel Apple made the mistake of focusing on what it's competition was doing, and instead of innovating, they said let's update our Studios and make them more in line with the competition; mainly in the way they changed the sound profile.

One thing I loved about the Studio 2s were that they had a sound that was unlike any other in my headphone collection. They brought out the emotion in music, especially in modern music, like no other headphone I've owned. Just pure fun. I will admit that although I enjoy the Studio 3s, and I do feel that there are certain aspects of it's sound that has improved (mainly low volume listening due to the better clarity), after continued use I do see where it doesn't evoke the same type of emotion I got when listening to the Studio 2s. They're more in line with the other Wireless, ANC headphones of today. That's the primary reason I'm having such a hard time deciding on which 2 of the big 3 (1000XM2, QC35 II, and Studio 3) I'm going to keep. I've always kept a set of Beats in my headphone collection simply because they're just so damn fun to listen to. Now I'm not so sure.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #528 of 904
I understand your thoughts on this. My thing is, what's actually hurting the Studio 3, is the Studio 2's. When people are going out to purchase the Beats Studios, they are seeing two versions, one for $349, and the other for $159 - $249. When they ask the sales associates what's different, most are probably saying, "longer battery life and better bluetooth range". The average consumer is probably not going to care about the sound quality differences. Combine that with the fact that both versions look identical, most are going to choose the Studio 2s. Hell, I would in that instance.

People seem to forget, despite the hate for Beats, the Studio 2 Wireless was the first headphone of it's kind. Or let me say in case I'm unaware, the first brand that the average person cares about. For a long time, it was the only good Wireless, ANC headphone on the market. You could get an ANC headphone, or a Wireless headphone, but not the two in one package. Since that time, many competitors have come out. This has put a lot of pressure on Apple to make a killer upgrade to it's Studio Wireless line. Now that the Studio 3 has been released, and people see only minor upgrades, I feel some people are being overly critical. When I look at the Beats Studio 3 and it's price point, it's actually priced fairly when you look at it's competition; mainly the Sony 1000XM2 and Bose QC35 II. It's wireless sound quality and features is comparable, and contrary to popular opinion, the Studio 3's ANC has improved and is just behind the other 2. I do feel Apple made the mistake of focusing on what it's competition was doing, and instead of innovating, they said let's update our Studios and make them more in line with the competition; mainly in the way they changed the sound profile.

One thing I loved about the Studio 2s were that they had a sound that was unlike any other in my headphone collection. They brought out the emotion in music, especially in modern music, like no other headphone I've owned. Just pure fun. I will admit that although I enjoy the Studio 3s, and I do feel that there are certain aspects of it's sound that has improved (mainly low volume listening due to the better clarity), after continued use I do see where it doesn't evoke the same type of emotion I got when listening to the Studio 2s. They're more in line with the other Wireless, ANC headphones of today. That's the primary reason I'm having such a hard time deciding on which 2 of the big 3 (1000XM2, QC35 II, and Studio 3) I'm going to keep. I've always kept a set of Beats in my headphone collection simply because they're just so damn fun to listen to. Now I'm not so sure.
How about this:

When the Studio2s go on sale again for $159 (Target, BestBuy are going to have this price for Black Friday), you can buy 2 different colors of the Studio2s for less than 1 Studio3. The ANC on the Studio2 is still competent enough for low frequency rumbling. :)

For $159, I really like the Studio2s. I had them in the past, and while the sound was fun, because I have OCD, the fabrication quality and fine details just bothered me, so I returned them before the return window expired. But hey, for $159, that's pretty competitive with other headphones of similar fabrication quality.

I actually like how Beats basically put everyone else on the map for the general consumer, but as you indicated, I wish they would innovate more rather than play catch up. I like their style and they are definitely the most fashionable for public use, so I'm just waiting for them to combine style and substance at a high level. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but if the quantity & quality of consumer reviews are any indication of how sales are going for the Studio3s, I think the consumer has caught up and expects more for their money.

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #529 of 904
I thought it was just me! No lie, I ended up adjusting my Studio 3 to one notch extended. I also rotated the headband to the back of my head. When I did this, the sound became better and it fit more comfortably. Not that I wasn't happy with the sound before, but the sub bass became more audible and it appeared to my ears that the sound became more spacious. I agree with you in that the Studio 3s are the most picky headphones I've owned when it comes to how you wear them affecting sound quality.

On a side note, I sold my Bose QC35s and have been going with the 1000XM2 and the Studio 3. I'm not going to lie, a part of me is missing the QC35s. I'm back trying to decide if I'm going to swap anyone of these for the QC35 II. Decisions, decisions smh.
Aren't the QC35 II just the google assistant inclusion?

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #530 of 904
Aren't the QC35 II just the google assistant inclusion?
LOL, yes it is. I just sold my QC35s prematurely before deciding if the 1000XM2s and Studio 3s were the favorable combination. I'm in the return window on both the 1000XM2 and the Studio 3s, so I may return one and get the QC35 II. I sometimes miss their relaxing, smooth sound signature. Especially when working. A fun sound signature isn't necessarily the favorable choice in all situations

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #531 of 904
How about this:

When the Studio2s go on sale again for $159 (Target, BestBuy are going to have this price for Black Friday), you can buy 2 different colors of the Studio2s for less than 1 Studio3. The ANC on the Studio2 is still competent enough for low frequency rumbling. :)

For $159, I really like the Studio2s. I had them in the past, and while the sound was fun, because I have OCD, the fabrication quality and fine details just bothered me, so I returned them before the return window expired. But hey, for $159, that's pretty competitive with other headphones of similar fabrication quality.

I actually like how Beats basically put everyone else on the map for the general consumer, but as you indicated, I wish they would innovate more rather than play catch up. I like their style and they are definitely the most fashionable for public use, so I'm just waiting for them to combine style and substance at a high level. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but if the quantity & quality of consumer reviews are any indication of how sales are going for the Studio3s, I think the consumer has caught up and expects more for their money.
Funny you mention that. I've actually thought about this. I'm even considering the Solo 3 again. I didn't love them when I got them when they were first released. Starting to wonder if I didn't give them enough time, especially since many say they have the best sound signature of all the Beats line.

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #532 of 904
Funny you mention that. I've actually thought about this. I'm even considering the Solo 3 again. I didn't love them when I got them when they were first released. Starting to wonder if I didn't give them enough time, especially since many say they have the best sound signature of all the Beats line.
Hey man, it's OK to be addicted to headphones (I am). Shoot, get a Studio2 and Solo3 for around the cost of the Studio3!

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #533 of 904
With regard to pricing, I would be very surprised if the Studio3s come down much if any over the holiday period. Apple just doesn't do that with new releases. The Studio2s are probably going to move to a new lower price range now that the 3s are out. The Studio3 direct competition are the Bose QC35II and the Sony 1000MX2. Both are right at the same price point of the Studio3. Why would Apple/Beats bring down the price right now?

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #534 of 904
LOL, yes it is. I just sold my QC35s prematurely before deciding if the 1000XM2s and Studio 3s were the favorable combination. I'm in the return window on both the 1000XM2 and the Studio 3s, so I may return one and get the QC35 II. I sometimes miss their relaxing, smooth sound signature. Especially when working. A fun sound signature isn't necessarily the favorable choice in all situations
I kept my QC35s and enjoy their full, overear fit.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #535 of 904
With regard to pricing, I would be very surprised if the Studio3s come down much if any over the holiday period. Apple just doesn't do that with new releases. The Studio2s are probably going to move to a new lower price range now that the 3s are out. The Studio3 direct competition are the Bose QC35II and the Sony 1000MX2. Both are right at the same price point of the Studio3. Why would Apple/Beats bring down the price right now?
The Studio 3s are not moving, nor are the Studio2s at $159.

1) Black Friday "Preview" Sale with the Studio2s at $159 didn't seem to move as much stock as you'd think. Best Buy still had tons and they were not moving. I actually went back several times to test out the Sony 1000XM2s before buying and the sales people said people were mainly looking at the Sony (they were sold out, I buy from Amazon anyway) and new Bose QC 35 II.
2) Amazon only has 18 reviews of the Studio3 (listed 9/7/17), while released over a month later, the Bose QC 35 II (listed 10/13/17) already has 90 reviews. The Sony 1000XM2 has 142 reviews and was released just a week earlier on 8/31/17.

If the Sudio2s moved to a $99 price point, they would sell out, period. Humans, whether or not you like headphones or Beats in general, as a Homo sapien, you will buy them just because it's a great deal. Would I buy something I absolutely don't need if I perceive it to be abnormally cheap? Yes. Beats margin at $99 is still healthy, so this would be a move to simply turn their inventory. It would need to be a brief sale and branded as "crazy" as to maintain brand value.

Beats does not expect to sell many at $349. They will hold this price for a bit to squeeze out those that are impatient, then they will flip to their next quarterly pricing strategy in an attempt to drive sales. My objection, is this conventional wisdom only works insofar as the consumer remains relatively uneducated and their product remains unique. Now, however, their is so much more competition and they brought their A-Game, while Beats is content to rest on their laurels. I've seen many, in fact most, people roll with Bose and Sony in public, while the fashion statement angle is old and the consumer is more educated & expects more.

They can easily drive strong sales with a price reduction to $249, which psychologically, itself is a justification for purchase. The perception (and reality) is the overall quality of the package is better with Bose & Sony, while it is also known that Beats engages in frequent discounting, so why pay more for less? Market observations support this viewpoint.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #536 of 904
^ Yup, Beats counts on uneducated consumers to buy at full price or slightly under. They will discount as steeply as half price within a year but only through select retailers. Even at $50 off come December they’ll move units to consumers who think they’re getting a deal in a retail store.

To more savvy buyers shopping online they may be as low as $199-$249. Solo3 fell to $199 last Black Friday so it’s totally plausible they’ll discount it at least $100 online.

Studio3 simply isn’t as good as the QC35 or the WH-1000XM2 in comfort, ANC, or sound (engaging Beats-type sound go Sony, more flat Bose) to justify a $349 price point.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #537 of 904
I see a lot of disappointment for Studio3 in user reviews and have read dozens of people post about returning them. That may not seem like a lot of returns if Beats is selling thousands of them, but I’d imagine the return rate is fairly high since I don’t see a lot of positive reviews from actual users. Even Studio2 owners are disappointed.

I’m just hopeful that Beats takes the lukewarm response to Studio3 and turns it into a redesigned Studio4 in (probably) 2 years that blows every other wireless ANC headphone out of the water.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #538 of 904
^ Yup, Beats counts on uneducated consumers to buy at full price or slightly under. They will discount as steeply as half price within a year but only through select retailers. Even at $50 off come December they’ll move units to consumers who think they’re getting a deal in a retail store.

To more savvy buyers shopping online they may be as low as $199-$249. Solo3 fell to $199 last Black Friday so it’s totally plausible they’ll discount it at least $100 online.

Studio3 simply isn’t as good as the QC35 or the WH-1000XM2 in comfort, ANC, or sound (engaging Beats-type sound go Sony, more flat Bose) to justify a $349 price point.
As you mentioned, the Solo3 will likely also be discounted, which itself, is positioned as a competitor to the Studio3 given it also has a W1 Chip and shares the same fashion sense. Last year, they were going for as low as $159 to $179 at WalMart post-Christmas (people need to spend those gift cards, you know), so I expect those to be an alternative that also impacts sales of the Studio3.

I like Apple. I have an iPhone 7 Plus (waiting for the 2018 iPhone release). I think AAC over an iPhone with Apple Music sounds great. I would LIKE to get something within the same ecosystem, but it has to represent value and benefit, which the Studio3s, in my opinion, do not. There is still hope a robust firmware update and the development of an App can push them to the next level, which I think one can argue would justify a $349 price point, but right now, they are merely pedestrian and don't provide a value alternative to what's already out there from Bose & Sony (which is good).

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #539 of 904
As you mentioned, the Solo3 will likely also be discounted, which itself, is positioned as a competitor to the Studio3 given it also has a W1 Chip and shares the same fashion sense. Last year, they were going for as low as $159 to $179 at WalMart post-Christmas (people need to spend those gift cards, you know), so I expect those to be an alternative that also impacts sales of the Studio3.

I like Apple. I have an iPhone 7 Plus (waiting for the 2018 iPhone release). I think AAC over an iPhone with Apple Music sounds great. I would LIKE to get something within the same ecosystem, but it has to represent value and benefit, which the Studio3s, in my opinion, do not. There is still hope a robust firmware update and the development of an App can push them to the next level, which I think one can argue would justify a $349 price point, but right now, they are merely pedestrian and don't provide a value alternative to what's already out there from Bose & Sony (which is good).

Even at $199 I’m not sure the Studio3 is entirely worthwhile unless all colors including Shadow Gray are also discounted to that price, which likely won’t happen since many are Apple/Best Buy exclusive colors. I planned to buy a matching Apple Watch but am extremely disappointed in Studio3’s performance so I’d have to resort to buying them as a fashion accessory — that and the W1 chip are the only reasons I see for owning Studio3.

Since Beats didn’t update the design, if people are buying Beats as a fashion accessory they could just get the Studio2 for $159 if not less. I’d spring for the Studio3 for $50-$100 more since the 2 are notorious for disintegrating/breaking over 6-12 months.

It’s disheartening that Beats was so lazy since they have unlimited resources. I would gladly pay $349 for the Studio3 if the sound and build quality matched its price. I’m really not sure why Studio3 is so uncompetitive. I’d much prefer a $349 Studio model that sounds amazing with the build quality of an Apple product that holds its value since it’s worth $349 to begin with rather than a mediocre headphone priced at $349 with the performance of a $199 headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #540 of 904
Got a chance to listen to the Beats Solo 3 wireless today. Next to them were the Sony WH-1000XM2's. I thought the Solo 3's sounded livelier and they weren't lacking any upper end detail either by comparison. The bass was a tad loser on the Solo 3's but overall the sound wasn't bad. Apple is definitely moving in the right direction with it's Beats line of headphone. If Apple can tighten up the bass they would have a winner on their hands. Now I'm curious about the Studio 3's sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back