Beats Studio3
Sep 22, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #152 of 904
Great, but I'm really waiting for Vlad Savov to make some noise about these headphones.

I'm really interested to hear his take as well. He comes off as a very calibrated reviewer who takes a slightly more consumer perspective than the typical audiophile while having heard/owned most of the big name cans out there. I guess he'd fall into the "technophile" demographic and I think that's where I am as well.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #153 of 904
Also curious to hear Tyll's impressions. He's been refreshingly unbiased and supportive of Beats. The Solo2/3 are still on his wall of fame but he gave the previous-generation Studio a mediocre review. If the Studio3 are genuinely good he'll make a big deal about it.

^ "Technophile" is where I fall as well. I'll take a new cutting-edge headphone like an iSine or a quality wireless headphone over the HD-650.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #154 of 904

It sounds like the ANC has really taken a leap from the previous generation. I can't wait to listen to them and compare them to the Bose QC35 and Sony MDR-1000X. I'm hoping they will have them at the same Best Buy that I go to frequently that has the Sony and Bose headsets right side by side for comparison.

These reviews are great but so far I've not seen any one of them do a serious comparison between the Studio 3 and either or both the QC35 and the MDR-1000X, and that to me is the big question. Sure, it's better than the Studio 2, but is it even as good as the Parrot Zik I already have, which are also better than Studio 2, much less does it rival the ANC of the top two reigning ANC kings?

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #155 of 904
Found this one, who compared the Studio 3 to the QC35, and this guys says the QC35 are more comfortable and prefers the sound signature of the QC35, and says he would give the slight edge on ANC to the QC35, but said they were very close as far as ANC prowess:

I suspect I would agree with him on comfort (I've tried the QC35 many times and they are just perfect, comfort wise for me, while the previous gen Studio Wireless were good but not as comfy to me), but I think I might disagree with him on the sound signature since he said the Beats Studio3 are "louder and have more bass", which... for me wouldn't be bad a thing at all. :L3000:

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #156 of 904
Yeah we talked about that comparison earlier. It seems that the ANC is competitive with the top tier from Bose/Sony, at the very least.

For me, the Bose sound is good but not great. I find it completely lacks the ability to make me feel *engaged* with the music.

I haven't heard the Sony but I get the distinct feeling that the Beats will be the one for me because of the *enjoyment* factor. And the Sony has a poorly designed headband that is known to crack while the Beats can be serviced down the street at my local Apple store.

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #158 of 904
It sounds like the ANC has really taken a leap from the previous generation. I can't wait to listen to them and compare them to the Bose QC35 and Sony MDR-1000X. I'm hoping they will have them at the same Best Buy that I go to frequently that has the Sony and Bose headsets right side by side for comparison.

These reviews are great but so far I've not seen any one of them do a serious comparison between the Studio 3 and either or both the QC35 and the MDR-1000X, and that to me is the big question. Sure, it's better than the Studio 2, but is it even as good as the Parrot Zik I already have, which are also better than Studio 2, much less does it rival the ANC of the top two reigning ANC kings?

UrAvgConsumer said that the Studio3 sound "way better" than the QC35 and are comparable to the MDR-1000x. Also that ANC is on-par with those two models.

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #159 of 904
Yeah we talked about that comparison earlier. It seems that the ANC is competitive with the top tier from Bose/Sony, at the very least.

For me, the Bose sound is good but not great. I find it completely lacks the ability to make me feel *engaged* with the music.

I haven't heard the Sony but I get the distinct feeling that the Beats will be the one for me because of the *enjoyment* factor. And the Sony has a poorly designed headband that is known to crack while the Beats can be serviced down the street at my local Apple store.

That guy doesn't strike me as someone who really I trust on ANC, though... I'll wait to hear from my own ears or from other reviewers who have done extensive comparisons between the Sony and the Bose ANC.

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #160 of 904
UrAvgConsumer said that the Studio3 sound "way better" than the QC35 and are comparable to the MDR-1000x. Also that ANC is on-par with those two models.

He mentions it in passing. Jim's Review Room actually takes his NC headphones out into the wild and speaks at length about how well they fared, as do other reviewers. I wouldn't just take this one "average consumer's" view on it when it doesn't seem that big of a thing to him at all, and he said that Bose is still the gold standard.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #161 of 904
I have an upcoming trip in a couple of weeks, though the date isn't nailed down yet. Hoping these are released soon as I'd like to pick something up - I guess we'll see what mid-Octorber really means.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #162 of 904
He mentions it in passing. Jim's Review Room actually takes his NC headphones out into the wild and speaks at length about how well they fared, as do other reviewers. I wouldn't just take this one "average consumer's" view on it when it doesn't seem that big of a thing to him at all, and he said that Bose is still the gold standard.

He oddly reviewed the 2013 Studio Wireless two months ago and gave it a fairly positive review. I'm sure the new model will impress him much more. ANC these days is about on par between the major brands.

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #164 of 904
I'm seriously considering the Beats Studio 3.0 however, I'm a bit worried they will be a pretty big step down from my M-100. Am I right in my thinking?
Not necessarily. I’m in the same boat as you, and if they sound terrible compared to the M-100, I’m going to go with the Crossfade 2 Wireless. Reviews of the Studio 3 are good so far, but I’m going to need to see some comparison reviews and audition them myself to make a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back