Beats Studio3
Sep 24, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #169 of 904
I was never really interested in Beats so far, but somehow the Studio3 not only made it onto my shortlist, but even managed to convince me to preorder. Despite the fact that I quite disliked the Solo3 on my rather short encounter with them, but the only on-ear I do wear for longer is the Beyerdynamic DT1350 (not because its comfortable, actually quite far from that... but I love its sound signature).

The Solo3 had too much treble rolloff and too much midbass for me, so I definitely hope for a more balanced signature with the Studio3. If they don't work without juice... that would not be ideal, but with my V-Moda CF2 I only ran out of battery once so far (and they not only work in passive mode, but sound even better... one just has to have a cable available). Given the 40h battery life quoted I think that will not be a real problem.

What they are doing with ANC sounds interesting to me as well. And since I'm going to use them on the go (commuting as well as travel) having the option available is nice. Especially since its now an option rather than always on.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #170 of 904
I was never really interested in Beats so far, but somehow the Studio3 not only made it onto my shortlist, but even managed to convince me to preorder. Despite the fact that I quite disliked the Solo3 on my rather short encounter with them, but the only on-ear I do wear for longer is the Beyerdynamic DT1350 (not because its comfortable, actually quite far from that... but I love its sound signature).

The Solo3 had too much treble rolloff and too much midbass for me, so I definitely hope for a more balanced signature with the Studio3. If they don't work without juice... that would not be ideal, but with my V-Moda CF2 I only ran out of battery once so far (and they not only work in passive mode, but sound even better... one just has to have a cable available). Given the 40h battery life quoted I think that will not be a real problem.

What they are doing with ANC sounds interesting to me as well. And since I'm going to use them on the go (commuting as well as travel) having the option available is nice. Especially since its now an option rather than always on.

I have not had any expereince with ANC. What if any effect does it have on sound quality?...or is it not an issue?

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #171 of 904
I have not had any expereince with ANC. What if any effect does it have on sound quality?...or is it not an issue?

In most cases I see it as detrimental to sound quality, so being able to turn it off is a key point to me.
Technically it looks for outside noise and overlays an inverse wave to cancel that out -- so it adds signal, fingering with the music. In recent years the noise cancelling got much better, making it an option for environments where listening is impaired by noise anyway, so making the overall experience better even if the musical fidelity may suffer.

The description given by Apple sounds interesting and as I read in one review they seem to be able to recognize some edge cases such as wind blowing, making ANC viable in more situations. Interesting, but I have to try it out myself. 3 weeks to go...

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #172 of 904
I got the Solo 3 when I got an iPhone 7 Plus. The fast, and more stable bluetooth connection was a no brainer.

I have been Beats fan since the iBeats back in 2009, and I loved the Pro model. I've really loved the Solo 3 in that they sound really great for my use which is walking/working mostly.

I've pre-ordered mine and am really excited.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #173 of 904
I've really enjoyed my Solo 3's.

These will be great.
What have you enjoyed the most about the Solo 3s?

Suffice to say the Solo3 are my favorite headphones. Quality bass-boosted signature with stunning imaging, perfect wireless, extremely comfortable (for me at least) etc etc etc

I’ve tried quite a few headphones in the pursuit of better audio but the Solo3 are genuinely great.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #174 of 904
That brings me to another point: if I had bought the Solo3 as my first pair of headphones then I would look online and get the impression that every other headphone must be worlds better from all the blind Beats hate. You can of course get a more analytical sound with more detail in the lower mids and upper treble, but the Solo3 have a very enjoyable signature. I’m glad I’ve tried a lot of the best headphones already so I have a basis to compare to for myself so I know exactly what I’m getting rather than blindly thinking Beats are the best or that I can do much better. They have the best imaging I’ve heard, rivaling the Audeze iSine10, and the most bass impact while still having clear mids (vocals particularly are very solid) and a non-fatiguing treble... and this is in wireless mode.

Solo3 is extremely solid and if Studio3 is more pleasing than the Momentum and M-100 and more detailed than the Solo3 in lower mids (it sounds like based on earlier reviews that the Studio3 has nicely detailed mids) then combined with the W1 chip it may be my over-ear endgame.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #175 of 904
I was fortunate enough to be able to get my hands on a pair of the Studio 3 Wireless headphones, and really liked them. I'm generally into a more accurate sound profile than what Beats has traditionally offered, but for what they are (consumer headphones aimed at delivering a sound most people will enjoy) they do quite well. Throw in a phenomenal battery life and excellent wireless performance and they're pretty darn nice. Also always appreciate the ability to disable ANC.

Sep 24, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #176 of 904
I was fortunate enough to be able to get my hands on a pair of the Studio 3 Wireless headphones, and really liked them. I'm generally into a more accurate sound profile than what Beats has traditionally offered, but for what they are (consumer headphones aimed at delivering a sound most people will enjoy) they do quite well. Throw in a phenomenal battery life and excellent wireless performance and they're pretty darn nice. Also always appreciate the ability to disable ANC.

Do you mind my asking how you were able to get your hands on a pair?

Sep 24, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #177 of 904
Do you mind my asking how you were able to get your hands on a pair?
Sure thing, I'm the editor-in-chief for HeadphoneReview.com, and posted my review a few days ago. I'm a new member here and didn't want to be accused of joining just to promote my site so that's why I didn't mention it haha. Happy to answer any questions anyone has about them.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #178 of 904
Sure thing, I'm the editor-in-chief for HeadphoneReview.com, and posted my review a few days ago. I'm a new member here and didn't want to be accused of joining just to promote my site so that's why I didn't mention it haha. Happy to answer any questions anyone has about them.

Ah, awesome and welcome to head-fi. So Apple/Beats sent you a review unit? (Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to share that info here.)

Your review definitely gives me hope these are what we are expecting. Is the treble downshifted an octave like on the Solo3? That’s actually quite nice as it makes the sound less fatiguing.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #179 of 904
Ah, awesome and welcome to head-fi. So Apple/Beats sent you a review unit? (Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to share that info here.)

Your review definitely gives me hope these are what we are expecting. Is the treble downshifted an octave like on the Solo3? That’s actually quite nice as it makes the sound less fatiguing.
I don't mind answering here -- the answer is yes, they sent out a review unit. I actually haven't been able to try out the Solo3's, so I can't speak to comparing them. In general I found the high-end to be decent, but in my view it could have used a bit of a boost. It wasn't dull or anything, and the highs that were there were pretty well-tuned -- but there just wasn't enough of them IMO.

Thanks for the welcome :D Certainly looking forward to learning and sharing in what seems to be an awesome community!

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #180 of 904
I don't mind answering here -- the answer is yes, they sent out a review unit. I actually haven't been able to try out the Solo3's, so I can't speak to comparing them. In general I found the high-end to be decent, but in my view it could have used a bit of a boost. It wasn't dull or anything, and the highs that were there were pretty well-tuned -- but there just wasn't enough of them IMO.

Thanks for the welcome :D Certainly looking forward to learning and sharing in what seems to be an awesome community!

I think that they’re sending out review units before the actual release speaks to Beats’ confidence in the new Studio :). I do now recognize your name btw since I’ve read a few of your reviews before.

How do they compare to the HD1 over-ear which you called the best wireless headphone? I’m looking at replacing mine with the Studio depending.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back