Beats Studio problem - distorted bass after 3 years
Jul 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

unaverage

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. So I've had my Beats Studio headphones for about 2-3 years now (some Christmas ago) and have been going strong throughout this duration. Today, I decided to listen to some bass boosted youtube songs (in hd) that really tested my Beat's bass capabilities as they produced very clear, non-distorted bass that I would love to try with my truck's system one day. However, after listening for about 25 mins, the bass suddenly became distorted and somewhat staticy. I decided to replace the batteries but to no avail, low-end powerful bass was still distorted to a point that my audiophile senses could not bear. What has happened, have my Beats finally given out after 2 or so years of heavy bass rap songs? I have searched for this problem online but cannot find a similar situation as mine where I've had these for awhile now. Note that highs, mids and some lows are still perfect, however, any low-end bass (which I listen to alot) is distorted and clearly different from it's past performance, even with high-quality songs from both my iPhone and my laptop.

IN A NUTSHELL: Had my beats studio for 3 years, listen to some heavy HD bass boosted songs, bass gives out, becomes distorted, change batteries but to no avail, try other HD bass-heavy songs but same problem, highs, mids and some lows are still perfect but low-bass is distorted.

If these have truly hit the bucket in terms of bass quality, I have told my sister that they may become hers and I am willing to upgrade to a Denon, beyerdynamic, or Ultrasone pair of headphones somewhere in the $300 range. Thanks for the help guys.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 7
If the bass is distorting consistently, you might have a loose connection in the cable or plug.  Since the cable is detachable, you should try replacing it and see if it solves your problem.

Also, in case you aren't trolling, beats are generally disliked around head-fi for having poor sound quality for the price and "HD" tracks on youtube are 152 kbps AAC, which are as compressed as any mp3 file.  Your "audiophile senses" would probably be better served by lossless FLAC files.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, I tried the other cable that came with it but it had no difference. I'm not trolling either and I do understand that Beats are heavily disliked and I now understand that these "HD" youtube vids aren't exactly what I should be testing with. I'll try some of these FLAC files you suggested just to verify that I'm still having this problem. 

If anyone else knows what the problem may be, please post it and do not get pissy because this is about a Beat's set, they've been working fine for 3 years and have suddenly seemed to give out bass-wise. Thank you again for the help.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 7
Good to know.

Does the bass distort on both left and right channel?  Also, do you have the same problem from other sources, i.e. smartphone, iPod, other computers?  The only other cause I could think of is the audio jack on your computer biting the bullet.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Woops, well, I just placed my red cord back on, blew a bit into the audio jack on my computer, and plugged it in, listened to some of the same songs, and the distortion is completely gone. Haha, I feel like an idiot, but it seems to be back to normal, may have just been some dust messing with the jack or something, haha. Anyway, thanks for the help DeliciousTea, nice to know these forums have got people ready to help if something does happen in the future. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 7
From past experience, I thought they sounded distorted right out of the box. Try something else.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
From past experience, I thought they sounded distorted right out of the box. Try something else.

his christmas present is working fine now, unless an upgrade is needed he should keep his pair since he is accustomed to it and also since a change is not nessesary or wanted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back