Beats pro question. URGENT
Apr 23, 2012 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

sneaglebob

100+ Head-Fier
I went to bestbuy and while I was there I wanted to try out the beats pro which was free to be plugged into my device. when I plugged it in, it sounded worse than the beats studio, and I question if its that bad or is it the device which i had it plugged in, which was a small android phone which is similar to the samsung gravity smart but without the slide keypad, and the headphone jack was so weak that even at full volume it still sounds somewhat quiet (with the klipsch s4, which suck) so is it my device or the headphones?

Yes I am an audiophile and I know about beats being crap but why would the flagship product sound much worse than the second most expensive one?

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 24
I have seen two sources quote the Beats Pro's as having an impedance in the 20-30 ohms range (this is low enough that one should have no problems driving them un-amped), and this review also seems to mention that the Pro's have a "muddier" soundsignature than the Studios:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534236/beats-by-dre-pro-indepth-review

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 24
Just so we're clear

^^ Studios

^^ Pro

Because, honestly, I much prefer the Pros (not that that's saying much) and I certainly don't think the Pro is muddier in comparison to the Studios. Maybe I'll have to give them a second listen and comparison next time I'm in Best Buy.

May 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
Just so we're clear

^^ Studios

^^ Pro

Because, honestly, I much prefer the Pros (not that that's saying much) and I certainly don't think the Pro is muddier in comparison to the Studios. Maybe I'll have to give them a second listen and comparison next time I'm in Best Buy.

Ok. Please tell me when you do

May 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:
Yes I am an audiophile and I know about beats being crap but why would the flagship product sound much worse than the second most expensive one?

Because there target market is idiots

May 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
Ok. Please tell me when you do

I don't know when I'll be in Best Buy, but I would probably forget to compare them. Tyll, however, from innerfidelity, did a comparison/review of all the celebrity-endorsed headphones such as House of Marley, Beats, Souls, and Skullcandy.

Here's his thoughts on the Pros.

May 6, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 24
I have both, and the key is to use them with your own gear, as in-store demos often stink, with some in-store demos I've heard having bass EQ'd up heavily.

My opinion on both, as an audio enthusiast: The Studio is better, to my ears. The Pro is too heavy and soft sounding, not to mention excruciatingly uncomfortable on my head.

The Studio (in my opinion) sounds relatively good for a headphone that incorporates active-only operation, as well as always-on active noise-canceling. The thing is that its passive isolation is poor, even though it's closed. And its active noise-canceling is far from standard-setting, and comes nowhere close to blunting the noise its poor passive isolation lets in. With the exception of headphones I use for travel/on-the-go, I don't expect my closed headphones to necessarily have strong isolation from ambient noise; but when you put an always-on active noise-canceling circuit on a closed headphone, one might reasonably expect it to.

The Bose QC15 earns its price by being one of the best over-ear headphones to use on an airplane or in a datacenter (or other places with loud, droning noisy backgrounds), especially for those people who do not like wearing in-ears. The QC15 is exceptionally effective at canceling noise. I wouldn't buy the always-on active-noise-canceling QC15 for listening at a quiet desk, though. And this is where the Beats Studio is a bit weird. Its sound quality doesn't come close to earning it a spot in my sitting-at-a-desk headphone listening roster; and its poor isolation doesn't earn it a spot for use in noisy environments.

So the Beats Studio is not a headphone I recommend unless someone is insisting on a recommendation of which of the Beats headphones sounds best--some people insist on something by Beats for the style/brand, and if that's their thing, who am I to fault 'em? Yes, on Head-Fi, sound quality is what we care most about in a headphone; still, most of us buy at least some type of something (like clothing, shoes, cars, etc.) because we like the style and/or brand. If someone really wants Beats specifically, the Studio is the best sounding of all of the Beats models, in my opinion. (I should note I haven't heard the Guetta one yet.)

To answer your question: My guess is that the Pro was designed to be bassier sounding--if so, then mission accomplished. To my ears, though, it's definitely not an upgrade to the Studio.

Now maybe I'm missing something here, sneaglebob, but what about your post is URGENT?

May 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 24
I also heard them all at best buy (edit: VERY short demo of them so don't take me too seriously haha).  The solo / studio are very uncomfortable for me and had awful sound.  The pros were heavy but comfortable enough (though idk about a long duration wearing them) and had decent sound.  That being said they are NOT worth anywhere near $500, I could see them being in competition with dt770s, but even in this hypothetical situation I'd rather go with Beyer because they're made in Germany, Beats are made in China.  I'm not a bass head by any means so don't take me too seriously, but just pointing out the obvious =P

May 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 24
There's also the possibility that someone may have overloaded the Pros, the cable wasn't attached securely, or something... or they are, somehow, defective.

When I listened to both in Best Buy, the Pros sounded MUCH better than the others... (not that I would actually buy Beats products).

Is there another Best Buy you can try?

May 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
There's also the possibility that someone may have overloaded the Pros, the cable wasn't attached securely, or something... or they are, somehow, defective.

When I listened to both in Best Buy, the Pros sounded MUCH better than the others... (not that I would actually buy Beats products).

Is there another Best Buy you can try?

Yes. But I have no time since its 11 miles away and I'm too young to drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back