Beats Poll! Check it out.
Jan 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

PomPWNius

500+ Head-Fier
So I made a poll on a site called ask500people about beats by dre. I thought the results would be interesting, and after about 5 minutes they are. Check it out here, Please don't vote though, having audiophiles vote on this poll kind of ruins the purpose.... http://www.ask500people.com/questions/what-do-you-think-of-beats-by-drdre-headphones#votes

If anyone has recommendations for changing the poll, do tell. :D

Here is the results.

never mind, I can't figure out how to add javascript on this forum, if its even possible. If anyone can tell me that would be great.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 20
It appears there may be less uninformed beats fanboys than we thought :D. Im wondering about how (so far) everyone who says "Beats are extremely high end!" or "Beats are waaay better than anything else" are all female... o.O Its also interesting how everyone who said those answers is american.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 20
Not sure how this can be adjusted, but I have a hunch that Beats fanboys/girls generally don't spend much of their time online doing surveys, and that the people in your survey are generally more informed than those who don't spend a whole lot of time on the site. However, there is a very large margin of those who realize slapping a celebrity name onto a product can inflate a price significantly, and that Monster is perceived to be a company that marks up the majority of their products as so.

Also people who probably think we're all idiots for spending more than $5 on headphones lol

Still interesting info though, there's hope!

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 20
Would there be a way to edit it based on age group? That could give some more valuable information, since we typically see the 15-24 age group with Beats running out and about on the streets.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 20
Dear people bashing beats, I am curious how many of you actually have listened to beats headphones, and if you have how many have done so unbiasedly. See Beats headphones do not sound bad. They actually are better then most peoples headphones. And to be honest are extremely high end based on the fact their build quality is actually pretty good. They sound better then any headphone you can buy at most brick and mortar retailers. And get way too much crap from people on this site.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 20
I've listened to them for a good amount of time.  My friend bought a pair of red studios at best buy for 160 via a friend who worked there.  Het let me abx it for a couple days against a couple other headphones that I had at the time and a friend's headphone.

M50 > Beats.  M50 sadly doesn't beat it out much on soundstaging, but has better clarity and noticeably less distortion in the upper mids to lower treble.  The Beats pound out that midbass much harder when called for, but the M50 delves deeper into the bass than the Beats do.  The M50's build quality is far superior.

Pioneer HDJ-500-K = Beats.  You might as well buy the pioneers.  Both offer a bulked up midbass and go decently into the sub-bass, both offer a subpar clarity in the mids to lower highs.  The pioneer tends to get more sibilant than the beats in the highs, as the beats are overall more warm.  The soundstaging on the pioneer however is better, and that artificial treble boost it has can it times make sounds sound noticeably more clearer.  The beats might have a slight nudge towards build quality, but I could see both breaking pretty fast, as they're both very hollowy-plasticy feeling.

Denon D2000 >> Beats.  There's nothing the beats have on the Denons besides portability.  The same was true for the M50, although the M50 is just as portable as the beats.  The Denons' comfort is a far step up from the Beats, and their build quality is better-- despite the screw issue a lot are reporting.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 20
I have.  They're muddy, amplified, have fake bass and lack highs.  They're poorly made.  Sennheiser and Sony are often sold in brick and mortar stores, there's no competition.  Oh, and Bose, way better than Beats too.

Quote:
Dear people bashing beats, I am curious how many of you actually have listened to beats headphones, and if you have how many have done so unbiasedly. See Beats headphones do not sound bad. They actually are better then most peoples headphones. And to be honest are extremely high end based on the fact their build quality is actually pretty good. They sound better then any headphone you can buy at most brick and mortar retailers. And get way too much crap from people on this site.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
I have no brick in mortar store anywhere around me that has a sony or sennheiser set on the same level as beats. All they sell is the low end stuff from these companies.

Anything from the Sennheiser HD428 and up is better than the Beats, Sony, yeah, probably, and somebody around you probably sells Bose.  Best Buy?  They sell some really nice Sony headphones now, as well.  Best Buy is moving up in the headphone world.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 20
Places sell bose, I am not gonna say they are better. As they are lacking in alot of aspect,
I will say the beats are overprice and not the best that can be had. And honestly I don't think the HD 428 sound as good as the beats either

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 20
Yeah, most of my friends have studio beats, or skullcandy cans. I would say that although beats are massively overpriced, not that good sound, and deserve none of the hype they have received, listening to my friends pair for a week while he had my K272hds and my other mate had my Dt770s, they were actually pretty enjoyable to listen to. Sure, the sound wasn't what im used to, but there was nothing to stop me listening to music. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 20
Took a new poll. Results much worse than first one.

http://www.ask500people.com/questions/beats-by-dr-dre-bose-skullcandy-or-audio-technica

This time I didn't have any head fiers potentially contaminating the results :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back